Status: COMPLETED!!

The Only Thing I Ask

Chapter 8 - The Turkey's Done

Every year, the Skylar twins would throw a big Thanksgiving party at their home. They would invite friends from work, their neighbors and so on. This year is going to be a bit special because Valerie insisted that they invite Avenged Sevenfold. Not that Michelle can help it, Valerie always had her way. She will get what she wants, no matter what.

So when the day came, Michelle felt anxious, nervous and awkward, all at the same time. She didn’t know what to do or say when she’ll finally meet Brian. The guy who told her that they’re now dating without her permission, and also the guy who now slowly found a place in her heart.

There are a lot of people came to their party. Doctors and nurses from Valerie’s workplace, Wendy and Marty from Hellwin and their neighbors - mostly guys who labeled them as hot twin sisters next door.

But only Valerie being busy at the front, entertaining the guests. Michelle shut herself in the kitchen, preparing as much food as she can. She was slicing up vegetables to garnish her turkey when Valerie came stomping.

“Mich, why won’t you help me out there??”
“Val, I gotta cook.”
“Just leave it in the oven, come help me out in front!”
“I can’t, I’m busy!”
Valerie pouted her lips and stormed off saying ‘Aghhhh’. Actually Michelle had her reasons to why she was staying in the kitchen. She didn’t want to be there when the guys came.

“Mich! They’re here!”
Valerie peeked into the kitchen for a moment before ran off again. Michelle hesitated. She was torn between putting down her knife or ran out through the back door and never come back again. She was too embarassed. Deep down she hoped that she would really be dating The Synyster Gates, but her mind keep pushing him away and finding lame excuses.

“Hey.”

Michelle jumped and turned quickly. Her heart stopped right there. Then it beats again, but so fast that she was actually panting.

Brian’s eyes soften, but still staring into hers.

“H-Hey.” She chuckled, nervously. Her face flushed for so many times when she’s in front of this man.
“Happy Thanksgiving.” Brian handed her a bottle of champagne, uncorked and still had ribbons on it. She took it, their fingers brushed.
“Thank you.”
Brian didn’t move. He looked around the kitchen.
“Need any help?”

Michelle bit her lip without thinking. It’s her habit, and that habit has became one of Brian’s weaknesses. He wanted more than anything to just bite those lips himself.

“Sure.” She cursed herself inside her mind. All her efforts to get away from Brian came to a waste once she agreed that he could help.
“Where should I start?”
Michelle handed over the knife that she was holding.
“Chop these.” Brian took it and again, their skin touched lightly. Both of them felt it, but there was still a thick brick wall between them.

While Brian was chopping off the vegetables sloppily, Michelle went over to the oven and checked her turkey. It’s almost cooked.
“Listen, Michelle. I just wanna apologize for what happen last week.”
Michelle stood up straight. She listened carefully.
“I don’t know what came over me. I was an idiot.”

She approched him slowly. She would say yes right now if he’d ask her out again. Right now.

“I thought that maybe, if your sister was a groupie, then you’re one of them too. You know. Well, maybe not a groupie for our band. But you must have some experience. So I thought you would agree, you know?” Brian babbled on, while facing the counter and had his back to Michelle.

Michelle froze behind him. Everything he said, everything, proved her excuses right. He WAS looking for a fling! Damn it Matthew! How could you lie and use me to make your best friend happy? She thought.

She could feel her heart broke at that very moment.
Brian stopped chopping suddenly when he didn’t hear anything from Michelle. When he turned around, Michelle was staring at the floor, frowning.
“Michelle?”
She looked up. “Yeah?” Her voice accidentally became a bit husky.
“Did you hear what I said?”
She nodded slowly.
“Well, so I want to apologize to you for thinking that way. Maybe we could actually be friends, you know?”
“Yeah. Sure, why not.”

She took another knife and quickly stood in front of him, cutting more vegetables. A bit angrily. They were seperated by the island counter.
“Besides, I already have a boyfriend. Why would I date you? I don’t even listen to your music.”
This time, it was Brian’s turn to freeze. “You have a boyfriend?”

Damn it M! How could you possibly set me up with a girl who already has a guy!?

“Yes. That’s why when you came over to the store I was really surprised. I mean, it was..awkward.” Michelle made up her story perfectly. She even made certain facial expressions to convince him.
Brian shrugged. “Well it’s settled then. We’re cool? Friends?”
He held out his arms to shake hers. She took it.
“Friends.”

Ironically, even if they tried really hard to lie to themselves, the electricity that ran though their veins never lie. It was still there, probably felt stronger than ever. Making them both withdrew from their handshakes very quickly.

“Ouch.”
“Yea, ouch. You’re full of electrolytes! It’s because you’re always play electric guitar.”
“So do you! You work around bunch of them!”
Now they’re mocking each other in front of their unchopped vegetables. They were practically fighting over who spends time around electricity the most and it looked really childish.
“Wow! Aren’t you two feisty?”
Both Brian and Michelle jumped and flinched. Jimmy stared at them, hands on his hips.

DING!
The turkey’s done.
♠ ♠ ♠
seriously, silent readers...