Status: I felt like a HIGHSCHOOL DRAMA SCI-FI. Don't worry, it's not cheesy and it's no

Era of Aera: SKYE XePher

When something dies, something new begins

There I lay, unable to do anything. As proven every weekend, there was nothing much to do at all. I was just... Done. With everything. I watched through the window as the last dying, brown leaf fell from its life support and onto the ground; fluttering. Hopeless. Desperately trying to keep from reaching the ground. So blind as it didn't let itself see the truth that it was time to go. But as everything must, it died anyway. Leaving way for a newer, stronger generation of leaves that would bring us all oxygen- life.
And at that moment -realizing how completely bored I must've been just staring outside at the leaves and creating stories in my head- I stood and walked down the hallway towards the kitchen. The ceilings in my small apartment were so short and undersized that even the most average sized of my friends heads touched the ceilings. Me, I was a bit short for my age. At 16, everyone else was just about 5' 9" to 6' 3". My height? I was just crowning on 5' 6". It's a sad, sad existence.
"Are you ready to go?" Mom asked, her golden brown hair wrapped in a tight bun- her pajamas barely fitting her tiny frame.
"For the ACT Team Recruiting?"
"What else?"
"Well, yeah, I am. I just need my... My uh..."
"This?" she asked, handing me my phone.
"Yeah."
She leaned against the counter as she looked at me with great confusion.
"...What?" I asked, staring back at her.
"Why do you wanna join the ACT Team?"
"To keep the world from collapsing like the last time. The more to fight the Aera the better."
"But the Aera are humans just like us! They look and act like us- and your br-"
"Don't mention that, ok?" I said, slamming my hand on the counter. She jumped in surprise and smacked me in the arm softly.
"Don't do that!"
"Sorry." I sighed, tucking my phone in my pocket, "Either way, I'll see ya later. I've gotta get going."
"Ok." she stepped aside, "Love you."
"You too, mom." I gave her a quick salute and ran outside- jacket half on and ready to get going.

"SKYE XePher." the Recruiter called, "Can I get a SKYE XePher on the stage, please?"
I quickly walked onto the stage, sitting down in the chair next to the Recruiter just as everyone else had.
"Ok, so I'm the Grand Recruiter, you can refer to me as G.R. Feathe." she held out a dainty hand- quickly turning the card as she crushed my hand in her grip. "Now I'm just gonna ask a few questions. Please answer them quickly and quietly without having to think. This's not only an intellectual test, but an informative test. People not only tend to tell the truth on these, but also show their wit and reaction speed. Ready?"
"Uh... Yeah."
She pulled out a clipboard and clicked her pen.
"What is your name?" she asked quickly.
"SKYE XePher."
"What is your age?"
"16."
"What is your parent/guardians name?"
"Ariell XePher."
"Are there any others in your household entitled to caring for you?"
"None."
"What race would you consider yourself?"
"Caucasian?"
"Have you had an experience with the Aera?"
"...None..."
"Are you sure?"
"Yup."
"Yes or no?"
"Yes, I'm sure."
"Moving on," she said, "Can I get your phone number?"
"206-218-7526."
"Finally, what makes you think you can make it on the Aera Containment Task Team?"
"Because I have the strength and will of the leader and can perform much better than anyone else you will ever come across."
"Thank you." she smiled, "You may stand and leave. You will receive a call and a date in which you can show up for some physical testing and possibly training tomorrow."
"Can I ask a question?" I asked hesitantly.
"Fire away."
"Earlier you called me up by my name- yet you asked for it again. Being the G.R... wouldn't you already know the answers to the questions you asked beforehand?"
"Using your brain," she said, tapping her temple, "rarely anyone asks that. Now get moving."
I nodded timidly and headed down the stairs and down the rows of chairs as everyone was talking away- nervously discussing their chances at becoming one on the ACT Team. I could spot a few people I knew from school- and smiled back at them as they waved. In a boy to girl percentage, it was about 90% girls and 10% guys. I can't really deduce why, but there have always been more girls on the ACT Team- even then more girls made it to the prestigious heights of the ACT Team. Titles such as Team Leader and Intelligence Organizer. Rarely was it ever that you heard of a guy making it close to those ranks. It's been something people have been trying to wrap their heads around, especially since during training their fitness has been shown to be much greater than men. Back in 2000, it was said that men were generally stronger than women. But it's 2089 so I guess it makes sense that there would be some kind of change. It's just so... weird-
"Wha-!" I bumped into something and fell backwards. I quickly sat up, brushing my hair out of my face to see a raven-like man staring down at me with the darkest eyes. His appearance screamed "Midnight" to me. His hair was dark, long, and choppy. His eyes were bold and sharp; so dark that they shone all on their own. His features were soft, yet his body was quite angular. He had broad shoulders and runners calves were visible through his jeans. Everything about him spelt "dark and cold". Slightly uncanny and unnerving, though he was extremely handsome and tall. he couldn't have been far off from my age.
"Sorry," he smiled warmly, holding his hand out to help me up. This- well... surprised me... He seemed like the type of person who would kick you back down, walk over your body, and then keep going. Not giving a care in the world.
"Oh, uh no it was my fault," I laughed. "Sorry."
"No problem." he saluted me and walked off, hands in his pockets. This guy...

« ★He was special.★ »

As I walked towards the elevator, quickly pushing the button to the main floor, I noticed him staring at me from across the elevator. I'll admit, it was pretty damn awkward.
"It's you again," he smiled, "isn't it?"
Looking over I nodded, frantically thinking of something to say.
"So what's your name?" he asked.
"Oh, uh, um..." through all the panicking, I'd nearly forgotten my own name, "SKYE."
"That's a... Unique name for a guy." he laughed. I HATED it when people pointed out my name. It made me wanna punch his face out; the way he laughed so rudely. But I didn't, and that made my blood boil even hotter.
"Well, yeah." I paused, getting a breath, "What's yours?"
"Midnight Alabaster." he answered.
"Nice name," I said, "Your last name sounds really 2013. It reminds me of Britain."
"That name runs throughout my family..." he sighed, "With everyone with popular last names like Zexem and Kallidiss I'm left with Alabaster." He pulled out a piece of paper and began writing with a bent pen from out of his back pocket. His jeans were so tight that I was surprised he could fit one there in the first place.
"Here's my number. Wanna meet up for something to eat later? I'll buy."
"I dunno if I can..." I answered. I needed to make sure I got my mom to her taxi so she could get to the hospital safely later.
"Just call me whenever you can," he smiled, "I'm free whenever."
"Cool."
He tugged on the sleeves of his large winter wool sweater and stepped out of the elevator on the uppermost floor. I saw him walk over to a suited man as the elevator doors slammed; I could tell he was looking back at me through the doors as they shut.

« Now Im really confused... »

I rode my bike home- ready to get home and grabbed one of my moms homemade snacks. They were always creative and delicious. I remember them from when I was really young-
All of a sudden... everything went in slow motion... I watched my house; engulfed in flames... I watched as a woman stood amongst the ruins- holding a dead woman's corpse in his arms. That woman... she wore royal-looking red and gold robes. Her skin was extremely, inhumanly pale- so pale that I could see parts of her insides. Her eyes were a deep scarlet and a peculiar crown sat atop her head. It had spines that spread in every direction and dangling Swarovski-like gems hanging from thin chains. But the woman she held in her arms... She had dangling, charred hair in a messy brown bun. Her silk pajamas were ripped and torn; the ends burnt. I held my hands to my mouth and screamed. I screamed so hard that my jaw hurt and my throat became coarse and dry.
Girls and guys in the ACT Team uniform turned to look at me- and so did the woman holding the corpse. She dropped it like a piece of meat and ran towards me, the royal red and golden robes she wore rippling in the wind. Her blood red eyes shimmering with demonic intentions. A blue electrical current began to shimmer around her and the ACT Team stood in astounded shock. Except for one of them. He pushed me to the ground and shielded me with his body- his scream of anguish ringing through my ears as the strike of energy burst through him.
All the others were taken out- and then that woman- whoever or whatever she was vanished; making the air ripple and leaving nothing more than the destruction she had caused. Everything in a close proximity was destroyed. My neighbors homes, the nearby school and the park not too far away. Car alarms were going off and my ears were ringing. And all I could think about was that woman who now lay in the remainder of the apartment I grew up in;

My mother who was now dead...
♠ ♠ ♠
The first chapter is always short