Juniper

Instant Coffee

The next day, I woke up good. I didn’t have my mind on the gold mine and on Jamie. I wasn’t even thinking about the glowing green walls and the mysterious tar. Sure, I was worried for my little brother, but the best thing I could do was pretend that he wasn’t missing. Who knows what they’d do to me is I tell them my brother is missing? I can imagine them putting me in an electric chair even though it’s been banned for decades. I could look for Jamie, but I wouldn’t know where to look. It’s not like I really know my brother. We were strangers to each other not too long ago.
I still don’t know what day it is, but I don’t really care anymore. Eating breakfast is currently my top priority. What I want to eat is pizza. I haven’t eaten pizza in so long and I want the greasy food in my mouth. I decide to go ahead and call a pizza place. I tried calling twice but my phone refused to work right. The land line wasn’t working and I wondered if that was any normal. The next thing I could do was actually walk to the pizza place. I am one of the laziest people I know. I wonder if it is really worth carrying a hot pizza back. My stomach decides for me.

Thinking it’s a little embarrassing to go out wearing my pajamas, I decide to change into something less humiliating than what I am currently wearing. I put on a light blue zip up hoodie over my gray ‘love ponies’ t-shirt. It matches my blue Polk a dot flats. I wear those pastel colored leggings that I hardly remembered I owned them, along with the red goggles I got for my birthday around my neck. I easily fit in with the normal citizens; it’s too bad that they won’t accept me.

As I was going to open the door, someone knocked on the other side. I thought about waiting it out until they left, but my stomach was loud enough that I thought people could hear it from outside. Also, I usually don’t get any visitors ever since someone spray painted ‘Beware: Dogs Inside’. The only times people came over was when my therapist asked for a session and a doctor who was too scared to stay no more than 5 minutes. Tourists sometimes take photos of the house, but Jamie always scares them away with a broom. Food delivery is easy; most people who work in fast food don’t care as long as they get a tip.

A man’s voice bellowed, “Miss Harley Black? This is Sgt. Maj. Bosma.”
I slowly opened the door to look at the man and the woman standing behind him. “What is it? I ask them rudely.
“Let me introduce ourselves. I am Sgt. Maj. Mike Bosma.”
He gestured to the woman. “This is Sgt. Heather Catalano.”
She nodded in acknowledgement. I nodded back. “Which platoon are you from?”
He gave a small smile. “Platoons? You play too many video games.”
“I only play a few.”
“Was it Call of Duty?”
I was a little surprised that he knew anything about video games. Most men his age are focused on their jobs or what family they have.
“Yes.”
“May we come in?”

I was taught by foster parents to be polite and to never shoo away guests unless they give an obvious reason to slam the door shut. They showed no reason to do that action. I welcomed them in. I offered them coffee and they both nodded. They waited in the living room while I readied some instant coffee. I didn’t want them being inside my house; they could steal something. It’s not like I have anything very valuable, but it has happened before. People like to steal or stuff and sell them to tourists. I trust them very little.