Status: Active

Silent Snow

Once Upon a Time

I twirl in the dress father has had made for me as a surprise. I laugh as the skirt lifts of the floor while my sister scowls at me with jealousy, as if it was any fault of mine that I am father’s beloved. Mother said it is because I resemble him most, and father loves the sight of his reflection. I see my sister's scowl reflected back at me as I stared at myself and my desire to twirls fades. I twist slowly to the side to see that view of me in my mirror and look at the sapphire blue dress, the same color of my eyes. It also blocks out my sister's ugly glare. I sigh and try to distract myself so I think of Prince Hans, who will be there at tonight’s ball. This causes me to twirl once again and imagine myself dancing with him but a father’s voice reminds me of the truth.

“Tonight Hannah my sweet,” my father cups my sister’s chin and her expression softens, “you are to be betrothed to the Prince whom is fit for your beauty and your gentle nature.” He turns towards me and smiles, “you will be married soon as well, but for now you are still my little princess.”

Father kisses my forehead and elegantly leaves the room. I watch as the servant closes the door behind him. Sister moves towards me shoving me out of the way to comb out her dark hair. She prefers to do these things herself claiming the servants lack the skills needed for her hair. She refuses to allow them to ruin it. I walk over to my night table and bring to her my stool for her to sit. Despite the fact that she is a snob, I still love my sister. She begrudgingly takes it from me and I quickly step back afraid she would strike me again. My sister does not wish to be close to me, she views me as a nuisance who stands in her way to father’s affections. I wonder if I had been born a male instead would she loathe me more or pretend to be my ally for the sake of power. I walk slowly to my bed and sit on the very edge watching my sister staring upon her reflection. She slowly combs through her hair, she stops and eyes me disapprovingly.

“I will marry Hans, sister.” My heart clenches and twists itself in my chest. She has a wicked smile on her face, she turns to face me, her grin widening. “You need to learn that you can't always have what you want. Sometimes you will lose, and it will always be to me.”

She exits my room in a way that holds much less grace then the exit of my father. I think of Hans’ sparkling green eye, they look like the gems on father’s crown. The way Hans' eyes dance with the laughter on his soft pink lips. The sweet moments he has stolen away with me, and now my sister intends to betray me. Consumed with the heat of anger I hatch a plan to stop her from taking from me the one who makes my heart soar. I call to my dear friend and personal servant Else, whom is of the same age as I, to help me out of my dress. I tell her of my plan, she frets and worries as I knew she would but she does not try to stop me. I leave her in my room and head to my father's. I ran to father’s room in my house dress, his eyes widen at the sight of me. It is unheard of to intrude upon the King's private time.

“This is no time for relaxing my dear, the ball will begin soon” he begins towards me, I hold my hand out towards him, he stops. “What is wrong?”

“Prince Hans and I are in love father, you must not allow Hannah to be married to him.” I shifted my gaze to the foot of his bed where his crown lies alone on his neatly folded covers. “I…” I hesitate for but a moment, the thought of my sister holding Hans close to her propels me forward, “I will not allow it.”

I straighten up and look my father directly in his eye; I hear the door open behind me.

“My queen,” father says as my mother joins him at his side, her hazel eyes brimming over with love and respect for my father. “Our youngest daughter has fallen in love with Hans.”

“Oh, I have noticed my King; they cannot hide from the watchful eyes of a mother.” She smiles at me knowingly, “she has already been promised to him my King, and I handled the matter while you were keeping us from war. I hope I have not displeased you,” she bows slightly to him.

“Of course my queen, all is well.” I leave them in the room with a grin on my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the huge gap I was busy, let me know what you think.