Status: Active

Silent Snow

Awaiting the Danger

The days went by without excitement; it had almost seemed that the Queen had forgotten about sister and I. It was such a wonderful hope, one in which I held dearly to. I clung to it like I once would cling to Else for comfort on the stormy nights that plagued the castle too often during the spring season. I wondered who my dear sister clung too while Else was with me. Perhaps she stayed alone in one of the big rooms, holding her own knees, whimpering with the flash of light in the sky. My heart aches just with the simple thought, I know that the Queen would never have comforted her. Perhaps the Queen herself has forgotten what it is like to be a frightened child herself. What if she was ignored in those moments of need? I shook such thoughts from my head, no need to feel any pity for that wicked woman. If she had her way we would be both been long dead by now.

I moved from the window where I stood and turned to peer at my sister. She has not spoken much in these slow moving days. It was as if fear and dread weighed down the hours causing them to crawl by. Yet, days have gone by and there has been no word, no search party, nothing but peace. The sound of birds chirping filled the air as if to create music to the peace. It was a very confusing time for us both. I wished that I could be enjoying my freedom instead of feeling so filled with uncertainty.

Snow rose up suddenly, staring at the door. Her eyes never wavered, as if she was awaiting someone to enter suddenly. I stare with her, my heart pounding rapidly, had she heard something that fell deaf to my ears. I balled my hands up to attempt to still the shaking in my fingers. Can it be that the Queen is headed this way? Has she found where we have been hidden? The seconds dragged slowly by as sister and I stood frozen awaiting what was to come. The moments felt infinite; finally I drew my gaze from the door to my sister's face. She stood calmly with a small hint of a smile playing on her lips. Confusion filled my thoughts, why could she be so serene when my heart is racing like a war horse towards battle? What reason could there be to smile in a moment such as this?

“I must go,” she grabbed a cloak and jolted to the door before I could part my lips to speak.

“Be safe sister,” I spoke softly to the empty room.

Later in the day, as the sun began to set I saw the miners approach the home. I was pleased that I tidied up so that they could feel that sister and I were not burdensome to them. I even started the fire since the evening now grew colder so that they will feel warmth when they entered. I smiled and opened the door for them come in in haste and get warm.

“Hello my dear friends,” my smile wavered when I saw sister being carried between them. “What happened?” I raced towards them, “Sister!”

“Shhh,” the grumpiest of the men said to me with a scowl painted on his face. “She was simply sleeping on the forest floor.”

“Yes,” the one who has knowledge of medicinal herbs spoke up, “it seems someone attempted to poison her using a comb. It seems all they have manage to accomplish is put her to sleep, for now. Do not fret, she will be fine. She just needs some rest.”

“She is a handful,” grumpy mumbled and pushed past me.

“Please do not mind him, he is just hungry,” the pleasant brother smile and gave a gentle pat to my shoulder as he passed.

I turned and looked on with worry as they placed my sister back into the bed I had found her in. Once again, she was in the same state. I knew then that the Queen had not forgotten. I was certain that she would never forget.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, this is the biggest gap ever! So sorry :( Forgive me ♥