Status: Active

Silent Snow

Snow's Choice

I am brushing back my sister’s hair while she sleep, the sunlight fighting to part the heavy cloud cover. It did not matter to me if the sun was ever seen again. I had the confirmation I needed; the Queen would not rest until my sister or I lie lifeless before her. A comb laced with poison, a thing of beauty to trap my sister into this endless sleep. It has been a fortnight since my sister brushed her hair with the golden comb. She has not even stirred in the slightest during this death like sleep. It is as if she does not wish to wake, for she knows when she does she will return to this. A life of constant fear, where around any bend the Queen or her men could be awaiting you to take your life away from you. This is not a life in which we should have to endure and yet, this is the most freedom I have ever enjoyed. I have even found myself promised to a young Prince. I have the hope to be wedded. A hope, that I fear will never be realized. If the Queen does not quit soon, I fear I will die a maiden and my dear love will be heart broken. Left to wed another, my heart aches at the simple thought and what of my dear sister?

My sister sighs deeply, the first sound from her all day. I reach for her hand but hesitate. I know, no, rather I am quite certain that my sister desires it to be her who ends up dead. She wishes to end her life, so I can live mine. I run my fingers over her pale cheek as a tear rolls down mine, how could she expect it of me to obtain happiness if she is gone? Is she not aware that I am nothing but a mere reflection of her. Dear sweet Snow, people would mourn you. Who would mourn me? The girl who simply lived between the walls with no one but these two beings knowing this invisible girl even exists. I am the one they all think died long ago, within moments of leaving my mother's womb. I place both my palms against my own cheekbones with my fingers cupping my eyes. I was hoping to catch my tears before they fell, as if that would somehow help the pain. What do I do? Who will I turn to with this dire situation when even my own sister has shut me out? I feel so very alone, more alone than when I spent days locked in that room with no human contact. This is a loneliness I cannot bare.

“Let me,” I hear Snow speak so softly that it was as if a dream. “Sister, allow me to give you a life like you have never lived. I have laughed, I have loved, I have been free. This dear sister is your only chance. You must allow me to give this to you. I must die so that you may live. So the Kingdom can be saved and the people can rejoice. It is the choice that I have made my dear one, and you cannot stop me.”