Status: Active

Silent Snow

The Queen's Anger

Raven’s screams pierced the castle’s walls as she was once again struck. I held a pillow to my lips as I sobbed uncontrollable. My dear sister, again she was being treated like an animal by the cruelest being to live. When the noises ceased I knew that after hours locked in that chamber, she has been released. In a few moments she will come into the room, all smiles, saying that she was well. She would go on by saying that no true harm had been done to her. I heard the Queen’s door open and shut, I knew that she would seek me but Snow must not know I speak to her. I felt my heart pound as the Queen’s footsteps draw so close to the wall that I feared being seen. A fear that I knew was illogical. Nonetheless, I pressed my back against the wall and focused on slowing my breathing.

“Mirror, Mirror, on the wall, I will tell you Snow is no longer fair at all.” She laughed and at the sound my heart tightened. I was barely able to breathe with the words she just uttered. “Black eyes and bruises are not proper for a lady. She is so rough, like a young lad. Surely you would agree Mirror.”

I got a rush of courage and I looked out of the crack. The Queen wore a hideously smug grin, she was pleased with the harm she had done to Raven. These were the only moments when she ever looked remotely happy. I hated her, I wished that I could wipe that smile off of her face. I wished that I could truly protect Raven as she protects me.

“I cannot tell a lie my Queen, even with bruises her beauty out shines yours.” My anger was just barely kept out of my voice.

“Your words are foul to me Mirror. I will not seek you again until my anger with you lessens.” She threw a cover over the mirror and stormed off to sleep in one of her other quarters.

I sighed and leaned against the wall, wiping the last of my tears. My small door creaked open and my sister climbed into my room. I fumbled with my hair to make sure I looked decent so my sister would not suspect that I had been crying. When she turned towards me my eyes swept across her face. They landed on her lips which were bloodied and then they traveled upwards to her right eye, which had already swelled a bit. I knew the Queen would say Raven was sick and keep her in the castle until her face had healed. Raven turned away from me shut the door behind her quietly. I knew she was gathering her strength and when she faced me once again, she smiled so sweetly at me. She smiled as if she had just been playing in the snow and had come in to simply share the tale with me. I stared at her eye until she placed her hair in front of it, clearly uncomfortable with my gazing at it so.

“Come now Rose, let us sit. I have told one of the servants to bring me up some tea.” She sat on my bed and patted the space next to her.

I sat and did my best not to weep and confess to my dear sister that I was at fault for her lashings. I knew that would mean explaining to her that I had been deceiving the Queen. I knew she would be much displeased with such behavior so instead I sat facing her, awaiting her to tell me whatever tale she would come up with today. She fussed with my hair and smiled.

“You are beautiful Rose. So very beautiful, mother would be so proud.” She sighed and let her hand drop.

“How would you know? She died after birthing me.” She looked away from me and fiddled with the end of her dress.

“Come now Rose, what story would you like to hear today?” I looked at the bruises that covered her wrists and felt a pang in my chest.

“Dear sister, please let us switch places. Allow me to be in place of you so that you may rest and escape the Queen awhile.” Her head snapped up and she looked me in the eye.

Raven grabbed my hand tightly, “No, Rose that must never happen. She must never see you, ever.”

“Why?” I choked on a sob.

“I cannot tell you any new reasons sister. She thinks you dead, everyone does. The loss of you and mother is what caused father’s heart to give out from grief. If she knew you lived, she would hate you so. She would kill you and me. Please sister, trust me, and never leave here, no matter what. Promise me."

I nodded silently and that seemed to satisfy her. She began to tell the story of how mother and father met, our favorite. Else had told us that one many times when we were younger. I listened intently, knowing in my heart of hearts that one day I would break my promise to my sister.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please let me know what you think ♥