Status: Active

Silent Snow

First Encouters

After Raven’s wounds had healed a sense of normalcy washed itself over the castle walls. I knew that this would be as good as things would get for us, with the Raven's beatings happening rare and far in between these days. Everyone in castle was too busy with the scheduled arrival of the Prince Erich to give my sister a second look. I was aware that the Queen wishes to marry him, it painfully obvious in all the new dresses she had made for herself. She spent all her time yelling at the tailor and other servants to get everything perfect. Then, she would apologize, immediately of course, it was just all the stress. That was her scapegoat. I knew better, she was just a wicked woman. A wicked woman who is after the heart of a young man. My heart ached because I knew that if the Queen fancied him then he would not escape from her desires. I would not wish her on even the worse of enemies.

The whole castle was filled with talk of the young prince, whispers of his good looks, his charm, and his wealth.

“I hear his eyes are as green as the summer’s grass.” A sigh accompanies the hushed words.

“Well I heard his hair is as black as ebony.” This voice was bolder.

“I hear that his lips,” after that just giggles drowning out the words that followed.

I sighed and lifted myself off of my door from where I had been hearing the conservation. The giggles faded down the corridor and I wished that my steps were too echoing away from this room. I was being driven mad being stuck behind these walls. I even missed speaking to the wretched Queen. My only entertainment was staring out of the small window and no one was outdoors these days. To make matters worse, I had not seen my sister in some days now. I am sure the Queen has her locked away so the prince cannot see her beauty. Afraid that if he saw her he would not even give the Queen a second glance. Not that she could be blamed; I know my sister could steal the Prince’s heart. If she did that then she could be a proper queen, with her own kingdom and she would be free of this woman’s hate forever. I wish that I could get him to see her. That’s when the idea came to me; I could go down as her. No, that’s stupid when the prince leaves to make arrangements the Queen would just have us both killed. I sank onto my bed, lying down to stare at the ceiling.

What kind of life is this? For sixteen years these walls have been the only place I have ever known. These dusty brick walls and cobwebbed ceiling, are all that I have ever seen all my days. I have never felt the sun on my skin. I never felt the grass under my fingers, or smelled a rose still on the bush. I can barely hear the birds chirp in here, it all sounds so muffled. I yearned for the outside world. I yearned to be touched by snowflakes and cool under the shade of a tree. Oh how I wish, for but just a moment to set foot outside this room. I did not think that it would take everything being put into jeopardy for me to get that wish granted.

It was the day the Prince came; there was so much life in the castle even I found myself smiling. Raven managed to slip away and now sat on my bed brushing my hair. She chatted happily about how beautiful the castle looked for the Prince’s arrival, almost like when father was still alive. I let her talk; I knew that in moments like these she forget that this room she was in, was my entire world. It was mid-sentence when the trumpets rang out announcing the Prince’s arrival. Before I had a chance to remind Raven to stay put she was out the door. She ran down the corridors, curiosity pushing her to see what the Prince looks like. My heart began to race; the Queen would not forgive my sister this. Raven's natural curiosity would mean her death.

What felt like years passing could have been just moments before I heard word about what had happened. But of course I heard it. I heard the whispers through walls, Raven had been chased off the property before she could get to the Prince. The Queen had men standing watch, waiting to stop her from ever laying eyes on him. Now there is an order, to kill her, and bring the Queen her heart. She was livid, said Raven is trying to ruin her happiness. That since she stole her father's heart, then the Queen will have hers. I could feel time slow as I ran to my small window, spotting her take a brief pause to look up at me. She mouthed I love you before she disappeared into the forest. For a moment I just stared after her, heart galloping in my chest.

Suddenly all that happened rushed at me, my sister was gone. She is being hunted after like some wild animal and if she was found she would be murdered. I threw open my small door and sprinted down steps to the maid chambers, all abandoned, probably tending to the Prince. I was grateful, I did not want to be seen. It was up to me now to save my sister. I can throw the huntsmen off her trail; no one will expect me. I grabbed a cloak and draped it over my body. I raised the hood to hide my appearance and took my first step outside of the castle. The wind whipped bitterly at my face, winter was battling against spring to stay longer. I feared for my sister, who ran without anything to warm her.

I headed towards the edge of the woods when a voice shouted out from behind me.

“You there?” My body went ridge.

“Yes,” I spoke without turning.

“Where are you going? Evening is about to fall, the woods are no place for a young lady.”

“I am fetching wood for the Prince’s fire.” I clutched my cloak closer.

“I don’t need any more wood.”

I know I should not but I turned and my eyes beheld the Prince. All the rumors were true, his hair, his eyes, his lips, all perfection. He jaw was agape when I faced him.

“You are far too beautiful to be a servant girl.”

I heard a distant scream and without another moment’s hesitation I ran into the woods.