Status: Active

Silent Snow

Rose's Warning

I run blindly through the thick trees, dread filling me more and more with each passing moment. How was I to find my sister in this strange place? I seem to be hopelessly lost; I do not know this world. I do not know anything that is not that room I spent all my days in. I am useless to my sister, the very one who I rashly assumed I could save. The one who spent her entire life protecting me from the Queen, I am failing to return the favor. I hear a twig crack behind me and my heart rate picks up. Fear grips my chest causing me to retreat into the nearby brush. From the cover of the leaves I turn myself towards the noise, curious who could be its source. When my eyes adjust to the fading sun light, I see the Prince’s face and release a sigh of relief. I cover my mouth angry that I let myself relax; he cannot know that I am here. He turns towards the direction which I am standing, in his right hand he raises his torch up higher. I could make out his fine features in its orange glow. The light passing over the line of his jaw. He truly was as gorgeous as all the rumors said.

“Is that you fair beauty?” He wears a look of worry on his face. “Please come out, the woods are much too dangerous for you to spend a further moment in.” He looks around, “It is getting darker and much colder, please come with me back to the castle. You will be safe there.”

He clutches his cloak closer to his body as the wind blew through the trees as if to make his point. His eyes seem to dance over the spot I stand in. I feel my body stiffen, I feel as if he can see me. I take another step into the leaves, just to make sure his eyes cannot see me. After a few moments, I see him resign inwardly. I watch as an almost sad look paints over his face before he turns to retreat back to the castle. Without much thought I step out from my cover and clear my throat to capture his attention. I must warn him of the Queen’s intentions, if could accomplish nothing else today, the least I can do save him from her. He turns while placing his hand on the hilt of his sword. When he sees that it is me, he immediately relaxes his grip and walks over towards me. He removes his cloak and places it on my shoulders, over the cloak I already wear. I shiver as I look into his deep summer green eyes.

“You must be weary of the Queen, her intentions are impure.” I manage to say the words in a low tone despite my throat feeling tight with him so near to me.

“Why do you say such things? Do you know the Queen well?” His eyes search my face probably looking for signs of me being her kin.

I take a step back, “I do your highness but you must never tell her that you have seen me here. She wishes me death.”

“I find that surprising, she does not seem to be one capable of murder.” His eyes widen as he takes a step back, as if his body believes that she is capable of such cruelties.

I step forward, “your highness, please, I beg of you. You must take caution with her. She wishes to marry you to expand the reaches of her power. Though it may benefit your kingdom you must decline. She destroyed my father’s kingdom and she will ruin yours. She will not stop pursing you, if you show signs of swaying under her will. You must spare your people.”

He once again steps towards me, “your father?”

Confusion swims in his eyes.

My heart stops, “I have spoken what I should not.”

I turn to leave and he takes hold of my wrist, “please if you must go, at least leave me with your name.”

“I cannot highness. Forgive me.” I half bow and escape his hold, once again fleeing into deeper into woods.

I feel warmer; it must be the extra cloak the Prince gave to me. I am grateful for the gesture, now when I find Raven I can ensure that she will be warm as well. I hear low voices so I push forward hoping to find Raven to be with the source. I see figures in the night, so I take cover behind a tree close to them so I may overhear their words. A sense of familiarity washes me as I remain hidden. This was how I would spend my days. Pressed against my old wall, hearing the words others utter when they think that they are not being heard.

“The girl will catch her death with this chill in the air. Let us leave her to nature.” A man hisses through his teeth, which sound to be clenched.

“No!” A voice with authority seems to ring out, “the Queen must see results. If we do not deliver her the heart, she will have ours instead.”

“Huntsman, please." An older voice says softly. "This is a fool’s errand. It is dark; she has no lantern, no torch to light her way. It is cold, she possess no cloak, or blanket to warm her. She has no knowledge to build a fire. The wolves are out with the moon being full this night. We can rest and commence our search in the morning, nature will care for her death. We must not soil our hands with royal blood, even under orders. We will retrieve the heart from her already cold body, hand it to the Queen tomorrow. Then we can be free of this cruel work.”

A lump formed within my throat and a rock seemed to place itself in my stomach. Even if I find my sister, will we survive the night? The men grunted in agreement with the last statement, causing the Huntsman to give in. I listened to the footsteps as they fade on the forest floor. I felt a warm tear slip down my cheek, we are doomed. Raven and I will die in the woods and our bodies will rot on this floor. I will never see my dear Raven again.