Status: Active

Silent Snow

Rose learns the Truth

I spent my next few days caring for Raven, who still has not awaken from her slumber. I bathe her, brush her hair so it will not tangle and feed her soup so her body will not weaken. I read to her in hopes she can hear me and will wake at the sound of my voice. I miss her, her body may be here but I fear that my sister may be gone. It has been three days since I have arrived and she shows no change. No movement aside for the steady and shallow rise and fall of her chest. I think about Else's death and the death of my two parents. How will I go on without my sister there to care for me? There is so much I do not know, I am not sure if I could survive without her. The grief alone may consume me. I cast the thoughts from my mind. I must remain positive for Raven, she will soon recover.

The men who are allowing us stay with them have told me that the Queen killed all the men sent on the hunt for my sister. I felt a stab of guilt in my chest as they relayed the news to me. She said that they were useless fools and she would be searching for Raven herself. I clutched my sister's hand tighter when they told me. That is alarming to hear because if the Queen finds out that I exist I know Raven will be furious. I may not truly know the reason why, but I know she will be unhappy. She has spent all her days making sure that I stayed hidden, that I remained safe from the Queen's furious jealousy. Now I have exposed myself and placed myself danger with her. I know that this will not make my sister happy. As I push her dark hair to the side of her face, I sigh. I may have taken a foolhardy risk but surely she will understand my reasoning. I could not let her go on her own, we have never been apart. I could never have lived with myself if I had simply let her run off and be killed. We must stick together as I am sure our mother would have wished for us to do. I adjust myself on the stool I am sitting before replacing my hand upon my sister’s. I feel like I am glued to this seat and would not be able to stand from it even it I wished too. That is when I notice her eyes flicker open.

“Rose?” Her voice cracks as her eyes sweep over our surroundings. “Where are we?”

“We are in a small cottage in the woods, dear sister. You got hurt while running from the Queen’s wrath. Do you not remember Raven? The Queen had you chased from the castle when you got curious about what the Prince's appearance." I blush at the thought of his green eyes and clear my throat before I continue. "She ordered for you to be killed and for your heart to be brought as proof of your death. I fooled her sister, you have no need for worry. You are safe here.”

I cast my eyes downward knowing what my sister will say next.

“Why did you leave the castle?” Her forehead creases with worry. Her eyes glimmer with an emotion I do not recognize. “I told you not to leave that place no matter what the situation may be.”

“Raven, I could not let you die. I had to save you, so I rushed out without further thought.” I look into my sister’s eyes pleading her to understand, “I wanted to care for you as you have for me for all these years.”

She gives me a sad smile, “my sweet Rose, you have no idea what you have caused.”

“Then please sister, I beg you. Explain it to me so that I may understand why you worry so.”

She looks away and tears well up in her eyes. I fear that she will not answer me, then she begins to speak.

“You are the heir to the throne of the kingdom." Her eyes search my face for a reaction to her words and I am sure she is met with confusion. "You were born first and mother begged for you to be hidden since father wanted a boy so badly. She was afraid he would be angry, so the midwife took you to be hidden safely away. Mother planned to tell father that you departed this life after birth. She was unaware that she carried twins. While the midwife was hiding you, mother began to birth me. Else was in the room with mother, worried that mother's body could no longer handle the second birth. Mother told Else with her last breaths to keep you hidden and present me to father instead. She knew that with her death, her wicked sister would come to steal father’s heart away. She said that you needed to be protected so when you are of age the kingdom will be spared her sister’s evil ruler ship. I think mother suspected that father would not out live her loss long. Your protection was her last wish. She died as soon as I was taken from her body." I can see her tears sliding down her cheeks. "Else and I worked years to teach you, feed you, care for you, all because mother wanted you to be safe. We both love you very much. When we lost Else, I found myself wondering if I would be able to keep you contained and well hidden. I feared that you would grow antsy and want to be free." She clutched her chest. "Now I know that I have failed you and our mother.” She placed her hands over her face and sobbed.

"Why have you kept this from me?" I could feel an icy emotion dispersing over me.

“I never told you because I was trying to protect you Rose. I did not what you to feel burdened. I also knew the moment you were aware of the truth you would want to trade places and shield me instead. So I led you to believe that I was the sister who was born first. It was the only way. I am sorry Rose.”

I felt the burden of her information press down on me. The weight of the secret push against my bosom. I am to be Queen, the throne is to be mine? I get up and head towards the door; I felt the need for some air.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it been forever D: