Status: Active

Silent Snow

The Name of a Dream

My sister and I grew distant after her confession, though it is foolish, I felt betrayed by her. She and I never had secrets, or so I was led to believe. Yet she held to herself the greatest of secrets. The secret of our mother's final wishes. How could she never tell me the truths that mother entrusted to her and Else? Why did they continue to keep it from me for so long after I became of age? Was it because the situation that the Kingdom is in seems so hopeless? Did my sister think me to weak to handle my responsibilities? If so, why not at least reveal to me that mother expressed love for us before she passed? Why not explain to me why father never knew that I lived? Why keep me in the dark about our parents and my fate?

We have been living in the miners small home for fortnight and some odd days. That is of course, if I was keeping track of the sunrises with care. To keep busy, I happily accepted small tasks given to me by the miners. I have gone into the woods so often that I have become very familiar with the twists and turns of the hidden paths. It is of great comfort to me on these days. The only thing that keeps me from feeling the true pressures of the truths that my sister bestowed on me so recently. I suppose that is why she had never uttered a word of it to me before. She was just trying to spare me of the truths, I am currently failing the Kingdom that is to be mine. She was keeping me out of harms way, like she always has. I run the tips of my fingers on the bark of tree nearest me. I allow the weight of her words to cause my body to sink down. I sit at the roots of the tree I had touched as the tears fall down my face. I have failed my mother's dying request to rule in her and father's place.

I hear some footsteps near me and I am aware that I should hide but I could not find the strength. My grief was like a weight keeping me on the ground. I bury my face into the palms of my hands and press down hard to try to muffle the sound of my crying. My body shakes with sobs, as I mourn for the cruel oppression of my people. I also allow myself to properly mourn Else’s death as I have never allowed myself to in the past. I wish that my parents had lived and wonder, once again, what my life would have been like if they had. Would I eventually have had a brother? Would he have happily taken Father's crown? What would have been like to truly live as a princess? I would too have dressed in fine gowns and attended lavish balls for other royal families? Would I have traveled to other lands as my father handled royal matters? Would I have been happy? The footsteps were suddenly upon me; I did not even have time to become afraid.

“Is that you fair maiden?” A familiar voice speaks.

I look up in shock; it is the Prince’s voice that summons me.

“Prince Erich?” I barely speak over a whisper, my eyes peer into his.

I try not to get awestruck by the thick curl of his ebony lashes. Not to get swept away in the sun kissed tone of his skin. I feel as my eyes roam freely over his face. I gaze at the small lines that shows themselves when he smiles in recognition of who I am. I watch the slight curl of his salmon pink lips as he takes a seat next to me. The length of his legs stretching out before him as he gets himself comfortable. His hand slightly brushes against mine and it sends a current through my body into my heart. As if his touch contained power, my heart starts to pump faster, causing a flush of color rush to my face. I look away in hopes that he will not notice how I have reacted to his accidentally brush of my hand. I do not want him to think me foolish.

“Your majesty, you should not sit on the dirt. You will soil your royal garments. I am sure that your tailor will not approve.”

He chuckles then; it is such a gentle and kind sound. “I am not worried about such matter at this present time. I have been searching for you since we last met, trying to again speak to you. It is a difficult since I have very little free time these days." He turns to face me, looking into my eyes. " I had to find you, you see, you never told me your name. I could not stop thinking about you since I last encountered you. I want to put a name to the face that seems to have been branded in my mind.”

I could hear my heart beating clearly in my ears, drowning out the sound of the Prince’s breathing. I feel as if all the moisture in mouth has dried up and I could no longer remember how to speak. I part my lips to speak a reply, to tell him I still can not reveal to him who I am. I was interrupted by a sound in the distance. The spell that he seemed to weave over me was broken when the crunch of leaves echoed throughout the forest. Someone is coming.

“Rose? Rose? Where have you gone off to Princess?” The miner named, Quirin called out to me.

My sister has probably sent them out to search for me; I must have been gone for a relatively long time. She should have known better then to tell them my true identity. How easily the Queen could overhear their shouting. I give the Prince a finally glance and he gives me a wide eyed look in response. I quickly stand to take my leave.

“I must go, your highness. Forgive me.” I walk towards the voices without looking back.

As I walk away I hear him shout distantly, "Please call me Erich."