Status: In Progress

The Next Year

CHAPTER 3

I flinched as he brushed me, I felt breaking out into 'I can hear the bells'. That would be a bit over the top, even for a drama student. He does something to me, maybe it's because he's clearly not interested. He wants one of those petite, blond dancers, not a dark haired flump of a woman. Gosh he is lovely…Those legs...or that bum...Or just that innocent aura about him. Christ. He brings a certain lust out of me, turning me into an idiotic school girl, I never really have fallen for a bloke before, But with him he awakens something inside me, something, far from innocent.

Luke broke me out of my transfixed gaze by asking us to split into our groups. Jack stood up and I found myself staring right at him, he caught eye contact, and held it for several seconds, before smiling awkwardly and wandering off.

I almost felt envious of Jess for working with him, even with that hole in her trousers, the dirty cow, I found myself sitting with Vinny waiting for Emma to come in, shame really, I used to have such a spark with Vinny, the atmosphere seemed to buzz when we spoke, I'd get an electric impulse from him when he sat next to me. Well, that isn't there any more, one day it was just, well...gone.

I changed my train of thoughts away from all the missed opportunities I had to tell Vinny how I really felt for him, and moved onto the script. God this script is shit. The things we do on this course.
After an age, Emma finally arrived, and we settled onto the script.

The session was promptly over, I called the two other founding members of Spotlight to discuss our next show and organize the auditions. I was sat in the base for half an hour by myself waiting for the pair of them, when Jack stumbled through the door, chuckled out an apology, as I stared him down from the other side of the room.

'Just waiting for Roxanne now' I sighed, although in reality I wasn't entirely sure if she would turn up for at least another hour, her and Sam have been pretty close. I mean, 'nipping off the toilets together' close lately, and I'm sure I just saw them 'go for a cigarette' after the session finished.
So it was just me an Jack...'Well' I started, 'We got the rights for Rocky, so we should really arrange some auditions, but we kind of need to wait for Roxanne to arrange them properly'.
Jack sat for a moment in his own world, before realizing what was said, his face lit up with a smile 'That's wonderful, well done you....' he joyfully said.

Then it was back to silence, I couldn't help but feel a little bit patronized by him. Not entirely sure why I felt like that, I mean, I was far more a man than him, but he still had that air about him.
'Perhaps we should start a sing through? Just to celebrate the good news while we wait for Roxy, what d’ya think Kait?' I jumped at the chance, just to keep out of the awkward silence, he was funny like that, some days we can speak for hours, others we just sit in awkward silence.

On went the backing tracks, we sang Double Feature together to warm up, then took our parts in Dammit Janet.. I love performing a duet with him, mainly because I have such a warbly, preened voice, some how I always feel I have more confidence singing with him.

The final 'Dammit Janet' was sang, and where we would normally air kiss, he locked his lips to mine, and we embraced in a passionate kiss, the backing track played on hopelessly, as it moved into the first bar of 'Over at the Frankenstein Place', then the second bar, then the third, when I pulled away.
I looked at him, feeling the blood rush to my face, and a solitary tear run down my cheek. The silence was eerie, made even worse when the cue for Riff-Raff came in and the track became bright and uplifting... We stayed Staring intently for what must have been two or three minutes, as the Time Warp had started.

'Jack?' I cautiously broke the silence. He smiled sheepishly, as I fought for words. 'I...you…What...Why? When?'
He chuckled to himself, and before he could answer, Sweet Transvestite started, so I pushed him off the chair and told him to carry on with rehearsal, just as well I did it when I did, as Roxanne walked in with Sam in hand and automatically took her position of Magenta.
'What happened then?' Sam spoke up, with that arrogant, smug tone he uses to get a girl into bed, I started trying to protest that nothing happened and he cut in with 'I've known you long enough Kaitlyn, I know something has gone on...' Thank fuck I could turn it around and ask him what was going on between him and Roxanne...That soon shut him up!
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! xx