Time to Be Patient

Two

Michael had come home at a reasonable hour that night, bring home hotdogs for dinner. His tie was loosen from his neck, and his slick back hair was slightly misplaced. Addison sat on the floor in the family room, watching his every move through the kitchen. She wasn’t sure if he just hadn’t noticed her and the children sitting on the floor, or he just didn’t care.
“Daddy,” Evelyn cried. She stood up on her chubby legs and ran to her father’s leg.
Michael’s hard exterior melted away as he picked up his daughter, “How is my darling Evie doing today? How was school?”
“It was so much fun,” her hands clapped.
He placed a light kiss on her forehead before laying her down on the ground. She ran back to her mother and brother, picking up her dolls again. Dominic was too busy to pay any attention to his father.
“Your home early,” Addison smiled up to her handsome spouse. She felt like a family at the moment. Mother and children playing, while father sat back and enjoyed his beautiful family. Almost like a movie.
Michael clasped onto the couch, stretching his feet on the coffee table. His eyes had aged since the couple had married. His temples were starting to gray, making his black hair seem deeper. The difference of their ages were really beginning to show themselves. He let out a deep sigh, “Yeah, I was kind of pushed out of the office.”
Addison smiled, “Good. They should force you to leave more often.”
“I’m sure you would like that,” he grinned back at her. “I brought home dinner, so when you are ready to eat.”
Addison stood up and grabbed her son, “Okay, you get Evie cleaned up.”
He agreed, and took their daughter to the bathroom to wash her hands. She gently placed Dominic into his highchair, then began to dish out the food. She felt her phone vibrate against her hip. Stopping mid stride, she looked at the screen to see a message from Brandon.
>>Can we get together tonight?
She looked over at her smiling sun, playing with the few French fries she had placed in front of him. In the background she could hear her daughter and Michael laughing. Her mind told her that she should stay the in tonight. Yet, her heart longed to see Brandon. She decided she could slip away a little while. Addison pushed the guilty thoughts from her mind, and continued to get dinner ready.
The family sat around the kitchen island as they ate their dinner. Meals together were rare these days, and Addison decided would announce her leaving after. Evelyn was so proud as she showed her father how she could eat like a Chicagoan. She ate the hotdog with no ketchup, just mustard. The parents enjoyed the faces their daughter made as she suffered threw the taste of it, but encouraged her nonetheless.
After dinner, Addison cleaned up while Michael took the children into the family room to play some more. She slipped off her rings and placed it upon the dish next to the sink. She felt naked without it. It was like someone had shaved part of her finger away. As she rinsed the dishes, she starred at the diamond. Most women would have killed for a ring like hers, and she was very proud of it. The moment her mother saw it she began to cry. She had wished for a great life for her daughter. That is why she moved to Canada from Poland, to give her children a better life. Addison felt so content in that moment, that she was able to make all her mother’s dreams come true. Now, when she looked at the ring she wonder if she was really fulfilling all her mother had wanted. Yes, Michael will always be able to spoil her and her children. They had no monetary worries, and were able to help others instead of vise versa. There was no real passion between them. She loved him, but she knew deep down they were not soul mates, and before meeting Bollig she hadn’t believed in such things anyway. Was Brandon her soul mate? Addison wasn’t sure on that, but, she had felt what passion was and she knew her marriage didn’t have any. When she was finished she walked into the family room where Michael was sitting, watching sports, holding Dominic in his arms. Evelyn sat on the floor playing with her dolls.
“Baby,” she leaned her head over the couch, “do you mind if I run to the mall?”
“What do you need?” Not prying his eyes from the television.
She chewed her lip before answering, “Evelyn needs new leggings and a pair of shoes. Not to mention Dominic has out grown most of his pajamas.”
“That’s fine, darling.” His eyes looked over to her finally. Addison placed a light peck on her husbands lips, grabbed her things, and left. Once on the steps of her home she sent a quick text to Brandon that she would be there in 20. She took off down the street to where she had parked her car earlier. She maneuver her Audi down the streets of Chicago, the leaves were being to show their colors. She handed the valet her car keys when she got to Brandon’s apartment building. Addison was careful to look around to see if she noticed anyone. Some of his team mates lived in the same building, and it was essential she wasn’t noticed. The whole ride up the elevator she couldn’t help from tapping her foot. There was so much anxiety running through her veins. All she wanted was her Brandon, to feel safe and comfortable. The doors opened, and she briskly walked to his door. He took forever to answer the door after she knocked. Her eyes scanned the hallway, saying a small prayer that nothing would happen to stop this.
“Hello beautiful,” his voice made her head snap. He stood in just a pair of sweat pants. She could see his tattoos and sculpted abs. Addison pushed past him into the apartment, wanting out of the hallway as fast as possible.
When Brandon had closed the door, Addison smashed her lips into his. It had been so long since she had seen him. Or even be able to touch him, for that matter. Her palms pressed hard against his shoulder blades, wanting him as close as possible. His hands moved up and down her back triggering her to moan. He smiled against her lips hearing her enjoy his touch. Their lips finally separated when their lungs began to ache.
“How long do I have you?” He said breathlessly.
“An hour,” her fingers traced his chest muscles.
Addison felt his hands slip under her butt, picking her up. She wrapped her legs around him tight and giggled. “Well, let’s not waste any time.”
Brandon carried her into his bedroom, and placed her gently on the bed. His body was heavy over hers, like a warm blanket. They began to kiss, his hands move their way up her shirt. The slowly stripped each other, carefully enjoying each removal. The electricity surged between them, Addison felt at one point her heart stopped. Nothing was rushed or done is habit. It was as if they had never explored each other before. Brandon roamed her body with his lips. As they climax together, Addison felt all worry and doubt float away. She was gorgeous and strong in that moment.
Their bodies laid there, tangled and out of breath. She didn’t want to leave that place ever. It was an island far away from the real world. She closed her eyes and dreamed of a life where she never had to leave.
“What are you thinking about?” Brandon’s hushed voice broke the silence.
“Never leaving this bed,” her eyes met his.
A smile slipped across his face, “I like that thought.”
They just laid there in the silence, enjoying the company of each other. Again, Brandon broke the quiet.
“Will you be at the game tomorrow?”
“No,” she sighed, “me and some of the other mothers are watching it at the Sharp’s.”
Brandon’s smile soften at the mention of her being a mother. He was not proud of the relationship they had. He had done so much to try to stop these feelings. Being raised Catholic, he was well aware of the sin he was committing every time he asked her to come to him. He knew he love her, but, he wasn’t ready to break up a marriage by asking her to leave her husband. Brandon didn’t know if he was ready to commit to something so serious. He knew this was no fair to Addison, but his feelings and desires always won in the face of logic.
Addison looked over at the clock, and decided it was time to go home. She sat up and reached around for his clothes in what was now a dark room. He just laid there, watching her dress, putting her image into his memories. Once dressed, she leant back down to give him one last kiss.
“Good bye, baby,” she whispered.
“Good bye, sexy.”
Addison made her way downstairs, again careful to not be seen. Before going home she stopped at the Baby Gap to pick up the things she had told her husband. When she entered the house, there was no one on the main floor. She looked up the stairs to hear Evelyn in the tub. Placing the shopping bags by the door, Addison headed up stairs to the children’s bathroom. It was a sight that filled her heart, Evelyn and Dominic in the bathtub together as Michael sat on the side.
“Mama,” Dominic cheered when he saw her.
“Hey, baby,” Michael smiled up to her, “how was your shopping trip?”
“All right, got what I needed,” she smiled weakly.
“Good,” he turned back to the bathing children, “we missed you. Didn’t we?”
Evelyn cheered to her father. The guilt began to fill Addison’s gut. She wasn’t sure how much longer she could keep doing this.