Time to Be Patient

Three

The Bogues family arrived early to the Sharp’s for that evenings games. Evelyn had been so excited all day, she kept bringing it up in conversation. Addison was so happy to be going out also. It was good to get out of the house and with other people her age. Her mother never warned her how hard it would be a young mother. There was no running out for a coffee date with friends, no surprise vacations, etc. When Addison got nights like tonight she counted the hours. She loved her children, but, being a full time mother was starting to drive her crazy.
Abby answered the door decked out in a smile and Blackhawks clothing. Addison rarely saw the spouses in hawk gear, games were usually fashion shows for them. “Hey! I’m happy you came.”
“I’m sorry we are early,” Addison muttered carrying Dominic on her hip and a large tote on her shoulder. “I was actually able to get the kids moving for once.”
Abby laughed, “I wish I had that problem. Come in, I’m just setting things up in the family room.”
It didn’t take Evelyn any coaching, as she ran down the hall in search of her friend. The baby boy cling to his mother, unsure of his new surroundings. The Sharp home was so warm, filled with pictures and comfy furniture. In the back of the house was a family room, with a kitchen that over looked it. Addison dropped the heavy tote by the couch, but, was unable to get Dominic to go down. Instead she just carried him with her into the kitchen. Abby was standing at their island pouring they both a glass of sparkling water. Her pregnant belly was beginning to drop, showing how soon the baby would be there.
“How was your day?” Abby handed her the drink.
“The same as every day,” Addison sarcastically rolled her eyes, “take care of the kids.”
She laughed, “I know, I’m so worried how much harder it will be with two.”
“It’s not so bad,” she promised her friend, “it's nice when they get to an age when they can play together. I take that time to just sit back and relax.”
They cheers their glasses and walked into the family room where girls were playing. Soon more Blackhawk mothers showed up, there wasn’t many but it made a good party. It was so much easier to watch the games like this rather then trying to find a baby sitter and go to the games. It was even harder to bring the kids with you. This way the kids could entertain each other without throwing a fit in public.
Addison loved hockey. Her father’s dream was to have a son that play professional hockey. Since she was first born, he was a little let down since she was not a son. Her younger brothers that came a few years later played, but, was never going to be the athlete he dreamed about. When he met Michael and found out his career in the OHL and now working in the front offices for hockey teams, he almost married them right on the spot. She had never been more pleased then when she was able to bring her father to the Stanley Cup playoff game. Her mother told her how much her father bragged to everyone he met about his amazing son in law.
The game was slow, not much scoring in the first. By the second period things picked up some, and the Hawks were tied at one. Addison watch intently, looking for the number 52 every time he stepped on the ice. Her heart would skip a beat when the camera would go in for a close up. His cocky grin, and joking around with his teammates made her thing of the night they had recently. She missed him more with every passing moment. Yet, she didn’t know if she could deal with the guilt she felt when she got home.
“Isn’t he cute,” Dayna’s voice startled Addison?
“Huh?” she was clearly not paying attention.
“Dominic,” Dayna pointed to him sleeping in her arms, “he’s just so cute. Who does he look more like?”
Addison looked down to her son. He had some of her family’s feature, but if she was being honest he was the spitting image of his father. A daily reminder of the family she had. “He’s totally Michael. Their baby pictures are almost identical.”
“And Evelyn is the spitting image of you,” Abby added.
“Like the perfect little magazine family,” Dayna joked.
Addison looked back up to the game, just in time to see Brandon score. She did her best to suppress a scream, not to wake Dominic. Around the room Evelyn and Madelyn jumped up and down to Chelsea Dagger.
After the game Addison loaded her kids into her car and started her way home. Both kids fell asleep when she hit the gas. She slowly turned up the sound of the radio, finally being able to listen to something that wasn’t a kids band. The phone broke midway through her second song over the bluetooth. She answered, not even seeing who it was.
“Hello?” She did her best not to be too loud.
“Did you see my goal?” Brandon’s voice filled the car.
“Yeah, I almost missed it. Thankfully I looked up just in time.”
“Oh good, I don’t get many of those,” he laughed. “So, we are on our way out, anyway you can meet up later?”
Addison looked into her rearview mirror to her children. Sleeping so peacefully, unaware of how bad their mother was. She really wished she could, but, she couldn’t think of a good enough lie for Michael. All she wanted to do was spend the night with Brandon. To wake up in his arms, and see his smiling face. That wasn’t possible, and she had to stop living in her dreams.
“No, I can’t,” she tried to not sound too disappointed.
“When?” He sounded urgent.
“I don’t know, Brandon.”
He sighed, “I know this is hard...but, I have to see you.”
“Well, work something out,” she did her best to stay calm. He was starting to irritate her. She wasn’t some single girl with no responsibilities. If he was in such distress, Addison was sure he could find someone to help me. Maybe he does when she wasn’t available, it wasn’t he place to ask.
“Okay,” he sounded deflated, “I’m about to pull out of the parking lot, so, I’ll just text you later.”
Addison bit her lip, “Okay, bye.”
“Bye,” and he clicked off. Just in time as Addison pulled the car into their garage. She lightly nudge Evelyn awake, and grabbed her sleeping boy. Michael wasn’t home yet, so getting the children ready for bed was her responsibility. She was tired of doing everything herself with two children. Dominic’s pregnancy was a gift, but, sometimes she wished that the couple would have waited. Waited until Michael was set up in a job, and able to help at home. It was too late for “what ifs.”
It was about 2 a.m. by the time Michael came home. Addison was beginning to worry. He hadn’t text or called, and normally he would’ve been home by then. She understood that sometimes things went longer then expected, but, not on game nights. At first glance, Addison knew he was drunk. He stumbled up the steps, giggling all the way.
“Mmm, baby,” he crawled across the king size bed to her.
“You’re home late,” she did her best not to sound scolding.
“Yeah,” he hiccuped, “some of the boys and I celebrated our win.”
Addison set her book on the side table, as his body became over hers. His breathe smelled of boozes, while the rest of him smelt of strong perfume. “Where did you go to party?”
“I don’t know,” he kissed her cheek, “some new bar.”
She started to get a headache from the smells. Couldn’t strippers just wear nicer perfumes. She needed just to get him off her, “Baby why don’t you take a shower and we’ll finish this after?”
He agreed and stumbled into their bathroom. She rolled over in the bed, trying to fall asleep before he returned. Just as she started to doze off her phone began to vibrate. The message was from Brandon and it had a picture. She got excited, hoping it was a goofy face or something. She opened it to see a picture of Michael with a girl on his lap. Underneath it read, “Someone is being a very bad boy.”
Addison had her suspicions last year when Michael was living here alone. She had no proof. Why would Brandon send this to her? What was she supposed to do with it? She knew one thing, she was not feeling so guilty anymore for what her and Brandon had done. They at least had feelings for each other, compared to an old married man picking up girls at a bar.
>What am I supposed to do with this.
>>Be informed.
Addison closed her eyes, and tried to remember a happier time. Dominic began to cry threw the monitor, and her happy memories were over.