Time to Be Patient

Five

Alina sat at the kitchen island as Addison walked through the back door. She was dressed in a simple sweater and yoga pants, flipping the pages of the morning’s newspaper. The house seemed very still, so she assumed the children were still asleep. Or maybe her mother was better at managing the kids. She gently closed the door behind her and placed her things on the small table near the door.
“Good morning,” Addison said in her sweetest voice. This was the first time her and her mother had been alone since last night’s dinner. She wasn’t sure what her mother would say or do. Addison hoped that she wouldn’t even bring it up. See the concern in her daughter and just let it be.
Alina moved her dark grey eyes to look at her daughter, “Good morning. Did you have a nice run?”
“Yeah, it was good to work off that dinner last night,” Addison walked over the fridge to grab another water bottle. “How did you sleep?”
A sweet smile spread across her face, “That mattress is wonderful. I must persuade your father to buy me one. Like sleeping on a cloud.”
“I’m happy you slept well,” she sat next to her mother. Silence filled the room again as Alina turned back to the paper. Addison just stared forward trying to push her memories of earlier out of her head. Soon her husband and children would be up, and it was her duty to be a devoted wife. She let out a louder sigh then she expected that brought her mother’s attention to her.
“Are you all right?”
“Just not look forward to the kids being awake, just yet.” It wasn’t what the sigh was truly about, but, there was some truth in it.
“I used to feel like that with you kids,” her mother chuckled, “loved my mornings. Your father was always gone so early, and with the kids sleeping in late. My morning were very special to me.”
“I love nap times,” she laughed along.
The two sat and chuckle for a bit longer. It was nice for Addison to see her mother laugh instead of criticize. “Now what is so funny?” Said a voice that startled to two women.
Michael walked into the kitchen wearing his standard pajama pants and old sports tee. The sunlight exposed the grey hair that was slowly creeping its way threw her husband’s hair. He came behind Addison and give her a tight hug, topping with a quick peck on the cheek. She enjoyed the affection, though, she was sure it was for her mother. “You go for a run this morning?”
“Yeah,” she quickly sipped her water, “the weather was too good to pass up. And like I told mom, had to work off that dinner last night.”
“It was amazing,” he agreed and went to pour himself of bowl of cereal. “So what do you ladies have planned for today?”
“You have to work?” Alina questioned.
“Yeah, they boys have a lot of big games coming up. Not to mention the Olympics are right around the corner. I really wish I could take the day off, but, it’s just not possible right now.”
“What a shame,” her mother’s eyes seemed actually disappointed.
“I’m going to wake up the children,” Addison clapped her hands and headed upstairs. Half way up the staircase she pause for a minute to check her phone. There waiting for her was a message from Brandon. She held her breath for a minute before tapping it open.
>>You’re not allowed to get me so turned on and then leave. You owe me big one.
>Oh, I do. Do I?
She ran up the remaining steps to find for four year old standing outside her room looking very upset. Her nose was puffy and a frown that reminded Addison of her father’s. For such a small child, everyone always said that Evelyn felt big. She was very sensitive and quick to being upset. Addison scooped up her daughter into her arms. “Whats wrong?”
Evelyn buried her head into her mother’s shoulder, “I couldn’t find you. I called for you but you no show up.”
“Oh I’m sorry my baby,” she squeezed a little tighter, “I was downstairs with Daddy and babcia.”
“No leaving,” she said muffled.
Addison promised and placed her daughter onto the ground. She took her hand, and went into her son’s room. Dominic stood in his crib, and unlike his sister, had a huge smile across his face. He repeatedly called for her, with his arms stretched out. Addison loved being a mother because of this. There was always someone grabbing her and needing her. A part of her wondered if thats why she had fallen for Brandon. He was constantly reaching out for her and telling her of his needs. How shallow was she?
The three of them walked slowly back down the stairs, where Michael had prepared cereal for the children. Addison heart was warm to see her husband prepare for their children. Though only an act, it was nice to have help in the morning for once. The family sat down for breakfast for the first time in a very long time. The adults enjoyed as Evelyn told them stories from school and Dominic danced as he ate.
Michael soon excused himself to get dressed for work, leaving Addison and Alina to clean up the kids. It was a short lived happy moment, but, Addison was going to cherish it no matter.
Soon enough, Michael was waving as he walked out the door and Addison was ushering Evelyn around to get her ready for daycare. It seemed like every activity was a fight with her young daughter. She was appreciative that her mother was there to entertain baby Dominic. As she was dressing her daughter in the pink dressed they agreed on her phone buzzed against the dresser.
“Bring mommy the phone,” she tapped her daughter’s bottom as she reached for a pair of socks and shoes that would match. Evelyn handed the phone in exchange for the socks. “Hello?”
“Hey, Addison,” Amanda Bickell’s sweet voice flowed through the phone. “I’m not bothering you am I?”
“Oh no, no. Just getting Evie ready for school. What’s up?”
Amanda sigh, “Oh good, I was just calling cause a group of us were together the other day and we were talking...”
“Oh, no that doesn’t sound good,” Addison laughed.
“Usually, it isn’t,” she joined in laughing, “but, this time I think it actually was good. We were thinking about going on a trip to watch the boys play in California.”
“That sounds fun,” Addison walked over to bush her daughter’s hair into a bun.
“We wanted to know if you could go? I know you have the kids, but I’d hate for you to miss this.”
Evelyn and her mad their way down the stairs to the closet with her jacket and backpack. Addison wasn’t sure if she should go. It did sound like fun, the girls were always a good time and they never treated her any different. She was sure none of the other mom would be going, either cause they were too new or weren’t that close to the “non moms.” But, who was she to say no to a little fun? Michael seemed to make sure he got his times in. It might be a good thing to leave him home alone with the kids. She was positive she could make it work as long as her husband agreed.
She did hate that fact that she needed her husband’s approval. Yet, that was how she was raised and thats the marriage she signed up for. Addison let Amanda know that she would call with her answered after talking to Michael, but she was very interested in going. They said their goodbyes, and it was time to rush her daughter to preschool.
“Mommy?” Evelyn’s little voice broke the silence in the car.
Addison glance up in the rearview to her daughter, “What, honey?”
“You going to leave me and Dominic?”
Addison could help but laugh, “Of course not. You are my babies, and mommies never leave their babies.”
“Okay,” she went silent for a minute. “You going to leave daddy?”
“Why are you asking this?” Addison stomach was in knots. Did her daughter know more then she ever expected?
“Landon, from class, mommy left him and his daddy,” she small voice seemed scared.
As a mother her heart ached to hear this come from her young daughter’s mouth. It could be said that she wasn’t happy in her marriage, but, the idea of leaving her family seem so far fetch. She could never leave her family, no matter so unhappy.
“That’s very sad,” Addison turned into the parking lot, “but, you couldn’t get rid of me if you tried.”
That brought a small laugh out of her daughter. She walked her into the building, and up to her classroom. Abby was hugging her daughter as Addison was walking out of the room. “Abby, how are you?” she took her into a light hug, being very careful of her large belly.
“About to pop,” she giggled, “I swear if this girl doesn’t come out soon, I’ll go in there and get her.”
“I felt the same way about Evelyn. Couldn’t sleep, couldn’t eat, and definitely couldn’t walk.”
The two began to walk to the front entrance, “See, with Madelyn, I was crossing my legs making sure she didn’t come out. I was so nervous to have a baby, and scared Pat wouldn’t be there. Then after the first week I couldn’t understand why I was so afraid.”
“After Dominic was born, all I wanted to do was put him back. Never wanted him to ever get any bigger. Just stay my baby forever.”
The two stood by the door, not wanting to end their conversation or head back into the Chicago fall chill. They caught up on what each other’s families were up to, and watch gossip they had heard from and about the other women of the WAGs. “So, you going on their crazy trip to California?”
Addison shrugged her shoulders, “I’m not sure. It sounds like a lot of fun, and those girls are always a good time. But, I would have to find a sitter for the days, set up rides and such. Not to mention, none of those ladies are moms. I’m the same age as most of them, still, being a mom makes me feel old.”
Abby laughed at her friend, “Believe me, if I could go I’d be the loudest one of that plane all the way to Cali. I think you being a mom at your age is a perfect reason to go. You need to have fun and get out. Go crazy for a weekend, then come home and do snack day with me.”
She appreciated everything Abby said, and promised to really consider it. They both promised to text, and were on their separate ways. Almost like magic, her phone began to ring as she pulled out of the lot. Brandon’s name light up the screen of her SUV. Addison took a deep breath then answered, “Hello?”
“Hey,” his smooth voice filled the car. “What are you up to?”
“Just dropped off Evie at school, and about to head to the grocery store.”
“What store you headed to?” he said quieter now, as if he was with people.
“Whole Foods,” her voice drifted off. “Are you with people? Why did you call if you’re busy?”
“I’m not busy, just at breakfast with some friends.”
Addison couldn’t help but laugh, “That means you’re busy. Not to mention, that is super rude. I’d be so mad if I was out with you and you were on your phone.”
“Baby, if I was out with you, you would have my totally undivided attention.”
In the background Addison could hear some boys hollar and question who he was calling “baby.” She was sure he was with some Blackhawks, and if they only knew who he was talking to. There wouldn’t be any busting balls, or name calling. Cause, unlike the two grownups on the phone, those boys knew better then to sleep with their boss’ wife. They knew to run away from a married woman with two kids, instead of getting tangled up in the sheets with her.
“So, can I meet you there?”
Addison felt excited with the possibility of seeing twice in one day, and the grocery store was a safe place to meet. There was nothing that seemed to scream no to her. “Yeah, that would be fine.”
“All right,” she could hear a smile in his voice, “I’ll see you soon, then.”
“Okay,” and she hung up the bluetooth. The satellite radio came back on, allowing her to get wrapped up in the music rather then her thoughts. Her mind had become a dangerous place these days. With all the guilt and anger, sometimes she wondered how she was able to get out of bed in the morning.

“So, what all do you need?” Brandon twirled the basket in his hands as they walked up and down the aisles. The Whole Foods had been pretty empty, with Brandon only being stopped once by fans asking for a picture.
“Just filling the cabinets,” Addison sighed, “I feel like I’m always shopping. Restocking the fridge and cabinets is my sole purpose in life.”
Brandon laughed, “I don’t believe that. You do much more then just fill the cabinets up.”
“I know, just complaining to complain,” she laughed along. Addison stopped and began inspecting the different hazel nut spreads.
“You don’t really feed your kids that?”
“What do you mean?” Addison was confused. What is wrong with organic hazel nut spread?
Brandon picked up one of the jars, “What about the chocolate? What about the Jet-Puff?”
“I only try to feed the kids healthy, clean food. I’d be the laughing stock of the mothers if I fed them things like that.”
“You are taking away the fun part of being a kid,” he groaned and walked further down the aisle.
“No, I’m not,” she pushed her cart quickly to catch up, “I’m being a good mother. It’s my responsibility to feed them a proper diet.”
He turned quickly around, “I turned out just fine, and my mom fed me like a good Italian mother should. Look at this body. Do you really think I’m hurting? Nope. If you were my wife, you would not be allowed to feed my children like that.”
Brandon then turned and kept walking through the store. It took Addison a little longer to compose her pace. Something about the last thing he said got to her. If she was his wife... She wasn’t, she is someone else’s. Taking a deep breath in, she did her best to remind herself they were just shopping. Yes, she had broken her vows with this man, yet, at that moment it was totally innocent. Or she was trying to believe. She caught up to Brandon who was doing his best to ignore his comment, also. Especially ignore how caught off guard Addison had become. The two moved forward. Joking and shopping, they did their best to move on from the awkwardness.