Status: No promises.

Paint Me a Picture with Nothing

I’m Trying to Sleep

Chapter One

“There’s an infestation in my mind’s imagination, I hope they choke on smoke I’m smoking ‘em out the basement.”

The lyrics filled Alex’s apartment as he lied in his bed, staring up at the smooth white ceiling. He never quite understood why something so blank and eventless could capture the eye of the 25 year old writer. He was deep in thought, as he usually is when he isn’t writing or eating. Something so simple like a blank canvas or white wall could easily stop the young adult and cause his mind to think harder than he should. He found the simplicity in anything blank, it was like a drug. No, it is a drug.

“This is not rap. This is not hip-hop; just another attempt to make the voices stop.”

Alex saw as his mind created these pictures on his ceiling. Filling the blank dry wall, and turning it into a vivid painting. He never quite understood why his mind did this, but then again, no one did. He went therapy; he’s seen every doctor his money could afford him, but nothing. The results of them were just as blank as a white canvas. His mum thought it was a gift; his friends thought he was strange. It wasn’t his fault, but it wasn’t that he necessarily disliked the way his mind functioned.

As the lyrics continued to fill every gap in Alex’s mind, every open slot in his apartment, a knock on his door sent the brunette jumping in fear. He caught his breath and hesitantly turned off his music, the sound quickly fading away as the images his mind painted on his ceiling vanished. The knocking continued, now being the only sound heard by Alex, the knocks being precisely in time only caused the brunette to determine that the mysterious person outside his door is either a musician or has a metronome blaring in their ears. Either way, the disrupter continued before Alex eventually opened the door, his eyes scanning over the 5’3 girl in her 20s. He saw the anger in her eyes, the dark brown eyes that stared up at the author. He noticed the way her hair looked like she had just awoken from a nap, which was only proven when Alex saw the bags under her eyes. She looked like a hot mess, and that was the best way Alex’s mind could put it; however there was something about the way her angry demeanor that currently broadcasted showed that she was unable to stay mad for long periods of time.

“Are you done staring me down?” The short brunette huffed as his hands curled into a tight fist, only
causing a small smirk to play across Alex’s lips. He noticed that she was trying her best to come across as assertive, but it was impossible for the elder to take her seriously.

“Possibly. Are you done standing outside my door?” Alex retorted with an eyebrow raised, he wasn’t attempting to be an asshole, believe it or not, but he wanted to see how long he could push her buttons. This attribute was the reason that many people didn’t like the author outside of his work. Some would say he’s cocky, but he mostly found the humor in messing with people.

The shorter of the two rolled her eyes, already disliking her neighbor. “Well I wouldn’t be out here if I wasn’t woken up by your damn garbage!” She said in a defensive tone, causing Alex to bite his lip to
refrain from laughing.

“My garbage? I don’t believe my garbage has the capability of creating sounds, unless you know more about my garbage than I do.”

“You know what I meant, your music, that crap that’s so loud I can hear it next door!”

Alex slowly nodded and leaned against his doorframe as he looked down at the brunette. “Ah, so you live next door. I thought there were enough warnings from previous owners not to move in next to me. I’m sorry, sweetheart, but I’m not going to keep my music down for you.” He replied with a wink, which only made her madder.

“Look, Mister-“

“Gaskarth. Alexander William Gaskarth.” Alex informed her with his smirk still present.

Look, Mister Gaswhatever, you don’t own the building an-“

“But I could.”

The younger groaned. “Would you let me finish?” She asked, Alex found it entertaining how someone so small could pack that much anger inside.

Alex’s smirk only grew bigger as he nodded. “Proceed.”

“Like I was saying, you don’t own the building and you don’t set the rules. You’re being disruptive and I can’t get any sleep when you’re playing your music as loud as you can!”

Alex sighed. “I’m being disruptive, yet you knocked on my door at exactly 4:17 P.M. to yell at me. For all you know, I could’ve been working. I could’ve been busy, yet you still knocked on my door and wouldn’t stop until I answered. As for my music being as loud as possible, that is incorrect. I could’ve turned it up louder, but that would’ve disturbed my thought process.” He replied matter-of-factly.

The way her face scrunched up only made Alex completely accomplished with the way he acted. “Fuck you.” She nearly yelled before angrily walking back to apartment and slamming the door closed.

Alex grinned and turned on his heels before shutting the door and walking into his kitchen. His eyes
locked with his 24 in x 48 in white canvas that was placed in the center of his wall. The canvas held so many images his mind has created over the years that Alex wouldn’t dare to get rid of it. It was the center piece of his living room. The main aspect to his apartment. It was his version of a television. One of a kind, it can’t be replaced, nor duplicated. As his eyes trailed over the blank canvas, he couldn’t help but notice the screen of his laptop brighten in the corner of his eye. Much to the brunette’s dismay, he tore his eyes away from the canvas and went to his laptop. His eyes glanced over the iChat box stating: Chat with Jack Barakat.

Hey man, I know you’ve been looking for someone else to edit your work instead of that idiot Dan.
Anyways, she’s getting her masters in Comparative Literature at the University of Maryland. I wouldn’t let this offer get away!


Alex raised an eyebrow, Jack was right, he did want a new editor, but he wasn’t exactly sure if he should trust his best friend on this. It’s not every day that someone comes waltzing into Jack’s life that actually has a brain besides the elder himself.

And how do you even know her?

Well, I took your advice and decided to go to Barnes & Nobel to get a textbook for my marketing class and I may have accidently bumped into this girl. Anyways, I started to get to know her and I realized that she’s way too out of my educational league considering the fact that she used big words that I won’t dare try to spell. But I found out that her name is Taylor Jardine and she’s 23. She doesn’t even look 23, it’s kinda funny, but I think that should answer your question.

Alright, if you think she’s something I should look into then send over her email. I’ll call her on Skype later and see if she’s worth it.

Dude, she is! I wouldn’t lie to you!

Okay! Okay! I’ll call her, but you better not let me down, Jack!

I never would.

Alex looked at Jack’s last message and chuckled to himself. His best friend was right, over the years
they’ve known each other, Jack’s advice has usually helped.

I know.

With that last message, Alex closed his laptop and went back to his room, figuring he could probably
take some advice from someone else besides Jack, and take a nap like his neighbor did. As he settled
under his covers and let his tired eyes fall shut, the faint sound of New Found Glory’s Connect The Dots mixing with the sound of rain hitting his window rang through his ears, causing a grown to leave the brunette’s mouth. He didn’t think his neighbor would actually try to get payback, but he was willing to play this game.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Guns For Hands by Twenty One Pilots
Hola, this is the first chapter of hopefully a story I’ll be able to finish. For anyone wondering where the first couple of lyrics in the beginning came from, they’re from Rocksound’s Street Poetry with Twenty One Pilots’ Tyler Joseph