Status: Completed.

Sooner or Later

The lousy truth.

Kenzie tapped her fingers on the table as she tried to tune in to Shannon's story, but she just couldn't seem to do that. Her mind couldn't get past at how weird this dinner had been already and how usually chatty John was now drinking enough wine for all of them and was unusually quiet.

It honestly was uncomfortable being on a double date with him. In all their years of friendship it had yet to happen and she was now glad it hadn't. Her eyes moved to John who was racking his fingers through his hair clearly uncomfortable. Garrett of course was oblivious to it all and laughing along with Shannon.

Kenzie didn't know when things changed between them, hell she wasn't even sure if they had or she was just thinking that, but the vibe between them was off. That much she knew. She aimlessly stared at the boy, his nervous habits she knew all too well were now in full effect. Did Shannon even know things like that? Probably not. John was very kept to himself even when he did have a girlfriend to confide in. Then again, what if he had done just that? What if she knew all his secrets, all his fears? Then what? She knew that would officially mean she had been replaced. She gulped down the knot in her throat before focusing on her own drink. What really confused her was one simple question; why did she care so much?

Sure she didn't want to lose him as a friend, but she was almost certain that would never happen simply because Shannon liked her. What it came down to was she didn't want another girl in his life. She selfishly liked being the only girl in his world. She breathed in before downing the rest of the red wine. This was all too much for her. She glanced up, only to catch John staring at her, their eyes locking with each other's for several seconds. For some reason the moment she shared with him the other day at the baseball field passed her mind all over again. The smell of him, his eyes, the way he felt. It only took that moment to realize what she had really been running from...

She, Kenzie Wright; had feelings for her best friend.

She liked John O'Callaghan. Was that possible?

She held her breath until she heard Garrett call her name and she immediately looked over at him.

"You ok?" He asked seriously and she managed to nod. Was she kidding herself? Was this all just a joke? Surely this was just a side effect of Shannon being around. She needed to leave this restaurant in order to clear her head.

"You look like you're going to be sick." Shannon spoke up with concern and Kenzie breathed in shakily, "I um, yeah, I mean, I don't feel too good. It's no big deal."

"Kenz, you should have told us, we could have postponed this." John said seriously as he eyed her suspiciously, trying to figure out what was wrong.

"No, I'm fine. Really. Probably just a cold." She replied waving it off and Garrett seemed to not believe her. She could tell by the way he was looking at her.

"Maybe we should call it a night." Garrett spoke, bringing his hand to her cheek, "You need sleep."

She didn't bother to object and he kissed her forehead, playing the boyfriend role perfectly like always. She was terrified to look over at John at that moment. Scared to give her true feelings away. As if he could read her mind.

Once their meals were paid for, Garrett grabbed her hand on the way out and they all stopped to say goodbye when they reached the parking lot.

"Kenz, you want me to go get you some medicine or something?" John asked once she pulled away from hugging Shannon and Garrett grinned, "I think I got her, John. No need to worry."

"Oh, right." He mumbled, shoving his hands in his jacket now feeling more awkward than he thought possible. It was going to be hard giving up his role to Garrett. He didn't necessarily like it that was for sure. Especially since it was just his instinct to take care of her.

"I'm fine." Kenzie whispered as she stood in front of him, her heart now beating from her chest. What was wrong with her? Was she going to feel like this around him now? Her mind couldn't stop all the questions and she was certain by the time she got home she would have a headache.

"Just call me if you need anything, ok? I don't care what time it is."

She nodded with a grin, "I promise I will."

He nodded, debating on hugging her simply because the other two were present and he didn't know whether that would be ok in their eyes or not.

"Just call me tomorrow so I can know you're still alive." He finally said, giving her forearm a squeeze before locking eyes with her.

Kenzie laughed nervously, "I will."

"No faith." Garrett grumbled grabbing up her hand and they waved goodbye to the couple before climbing in his car.

"So what's really wrong?" Garrett asked once the drive back to her house was in process. He knew from the start that this wasn't a cold like she had claimed. He knew her too well at this point.

Kenzie fidgeted with her fingers as she tried to find the right words. Saying it was harder than she thought possible.

"Gar, everything is just getting too out of control." She whispered and he glanced at her with confusion.

"I mean, why can't everything go back to how it was a few months ago. Is that too much to ask?"

"Afraid it is, sweetie. Why are you saying this?" He asked and she looked out the window, a sigh escaping her lips. She just needed to come out and say it. Maybe she would feel better.

"Because Garrett you were right." She got out at a whisper and the car went silent. The only sound being the soft sounds of Ryan Adams he had playing.

"You love him." He finally said and she shrugged not daring to look at the boy in fear of crumbling. Love him? Now that she wasn't sure of. She could barely wrap her head around a crush none the less love.

"I mean, I don't know about that but, just don't tell anyone, please? It doesn't matter anyways, so just keep this to yourself."

Garrett reached over once they parked and grabbed her hand, forcing her to look at him.

"Hey, listen to me, it does matter. It matters a lot, ok?" He spoke softly and she bit her bottom lip. This wasn't making her feel any better and now that she had officially said it out loud she for some reason wanted to just cry.

"Get out of the car." He added before opening his door. She sighed before following suit and allowing him to drag her inside her home.

"Things just changed." He spoke as she kicked off her shoes by the door.

"How so?"

"This me being your boyfriend thing. The motive has changed."

She gave him a weird look and he sighed pulling her to the couch, "Look, I am convinced he has feelings for you. You two have always been meant to me. Me dating you is getting to him. Clearly by his behavior you know that. So, we use it to our advantage."

"Garrett, no. He doesn't like me like that and plus he's happy with Shannon. I don't want to date him!"

"Oh we know that isn't true and plus, he would be happier with you." He replied seriously and she groaned covering her face with her hands. She should have just kept this news to herself.

"Kenzie, just trust me. You know I only want what's best for you two and what's best for you two is each other. No one can deal with John like you can and he's the only one that you let in, I don't see what's so hard to understand! Both of you are stubborn that's for sure. Plus, don't you want to know if he does? I mean, I would even if it was bad simply so I could move on."

"You act like I've liked him forever! I literally just realized it! I haven't even fully processed it yet! It's weird!"

"Still! That can weigh you down, I promise. Look, we are still going to be together technically and if by the end of it he's still with Shannon then you'll know."

She breathed in staring at the blue eyed boy. Well at this point what did she have to lose?

"What will this entail?" She finally asked and his smile immediately appeared.

"Just trust me, ok? I also need you to remember that whatever I do, isn't how I feel. I mean I love you, but I don't have feelings for you like that."

She groaned once more and laid her head on his arm, "That sentence alone worries me!"

He laughed throwing his arm around her, "Relax. I've got this. Just know, I might be more lovey dovey now."

"I'm going to be sick at the thought..."

"Ouch! Is the thought of kissing me really that repulsive?!"

She chuckled, "It's just weird!"

"Well it's weird for me too you know?!"

She looked up at him and he chuckled, "But it'll be worth it."

"Please don't tell the guys though...you know, about my feelings for John, I just can't deal with anyone else knowing. Not right now anyways."

"I wouldn't dare."

She nodded as she hugged the boy to her.

"Thanks Gar. Really. You don't have to help me through all this, but I'm glad I have you."

"Of course I would be here for you. We're friends aren't we? That's what friends do."

She nodded, as she laid her head against his chest.

"So what's the first step in this idea of yours?" She asked.

"Just trust me."

"I do. Guess we will see where that gets me." She mumbled into his shirt. Her emotions were now scattered about. She didn't understand anything at the moment so what did she have to lose by going by Garrett's plan?
♠ ♠ ♠
A bit of a short chapter, but after her confession I figured that was enough for one chapter! Haha.

Thoughts? :)

Thanks for commenting;
Ediemarieee
Everdeen
Godrea
:)