Status: Completed.

Sooner or Later

Calm before the storm.

Kenzie was lost in thought as she sat on the couch, not really paying attention to the movie Garrett had put in.

Her life was a mess lately and she honestly didn't know how to fix it. she hated John not being around as much. She hated her feelings for him and as much as she didn't want to, she hated Shannon. What worried her the most was that none of that would ever go away and she would eventually be facing life without her best friend.

"What's wrong now?" Garrett asked causing her to jump a little form his voice.

"Nothing."

"Liar."

"Just over thinking like usual."

Garrett sighed pausing the movie, "Kenz, relax. Everything's going to be fine."

"But what if it's not?! I need to prepare myself for that too, Garrett! What if this all blows up in my face and in the end me and John aren't even friends?!"

Garrett sighed as he turned in his seat to face her better.

"Listen to me. It isn't going to, but if by some strange events it does, well, you'll survive. I promise you. And I will be there to make sure you do."

She sighed as her eyes met his.

"But can you try and think positive? You can't be in the mind frame of failing otherwise you will."

"I'm just worried."

"Everything that could make you happy is scary, Kenz. But if it wasn't, why would you want it?"

She didn't respond and he have her a weak grin, bringing his hand to her cheek, "But you'll always have me regardless. I can promise you that."

She smiled weakly before hugging him tightly, "Thanks Gar."

"Can you be old Kenzie now?"

She chuckled, "I can."

He kissed her head before they parted and she relaxed in her seat. She was determined not to think about John for the rest of the night. That almost happened too, she had gotten through a whole movie with Garrett and was now watching you tube videos as they continued to eat popcorn. All was well for her until her phone went off and she picked it up without much thought only to see a text from John.

'I really miss you, Kenzie.'

Her heart stopped beating and Garrett immediately caught on to her mood change.

"You ok?" He questioned and she held out the phone for him. Once he read the simple text a grin hit his lips, "Oh yeah, we maybe down but we aren't out, my friend."

She rolled her eyes as she snatched the phone from him. She stared blankly at the text unsure what to respond with. Before she could reply however her phone went off again and another text from John appeared.

'Sorry, that was random. I just found some old pictures of us and I just hate that I don't see you as much as I did. It just kind of hit me.'

'Have you been drinking?' She texted back and she could almost here him laugh when he responded, 'Ha! No. Can I not miss you while sober? Jerk...'

She chuckled and Garrett rolled his eyes at her sudden happiness.

'I assume you can. I miss you too. It sucks growing up.'

'Can we go back to last summer when I spent every day with you? I liked those days.'

'Sure. We just have to end our relationships and shun all our new friends who don't understand us.'

'Sounds simple. I miss simple. I miss drinking in your parent's backyard and listening to music all night with you. I just want that back.'

"I question if he's been drinking." Kenzie stated showing Garrett the text and Garrett shrugged, "I mean if he says he's not he probably isn't."

"This is just making things worse." She groaned laying her head on his shoulder.

"How so? He thinks about you! That's a good thing!"

"So what should I say?!"

"Whatever you want. I can't dictate your friendship, sweetie. I mean, maybe something is wrong. He really isn't sounding John like."

She sighed, "I know, maybe I should call him."

"Sure, just do it outside so I can watch another movie."

She shoved him lightly before making her way out to the balcony of her apartment. She dialed the familiar number and within seconds he answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey, what's going on?" She asked as she sat down in a chair that occupied the small space.

"Nothing." He grumbled and she knew immediately that wasn't true.

"Do you want me to come over?"

"Are you with Garrett?"

"Well were at my apartment but yeah..."

"Then no. Don't worry about it."

"He'll be ok."

"It's not a big deal."

"Then talk to me." She whispered back and she heard him sigh.

"Shannon and I got into a fight about something stupid and I don't know...I just realize that I hate girls besides you. You're the only girl who gets me, Kenzie." He mumbled and she knew she should have laughed at that but instead nerves filled her gut.

"I'm not normal, so that's sad."

He chuckled softly, "I like that."

The line went silent as she stared out into the dark sky. This was becoming so hard.

"John...do you like Shannon?"

"Well, I mean, I think so..."

"Then you need to apologize even if you weren't wrong. Sometimes when you care about someone you have to do things you don't want to do."

"And what about the things you want to do? Are you suppose to just put that on the back burner?"

"What are you wanting to do, O'Callaghan?" She asked with a chuckle and she could see him shrugging at the question already.

"Convince you to ditch Garrett and come spend the night with me to make me feel 17 again."

"Although Garrett knows were friends, I don't know how ok he would be about me spending the night with you."

John sighed in frustration, he just wanted his friend back. He wanted his life with her back. She always made things so simple for him. He couldn't ever recall feeling anything other than happy around her and at the moment he craved that feeling that only she could give him.

"So, is he now spending nights with you?" He asked and she bit her bottom lip in debate.

"Oh um, yeah..."

John bit his tongue in order not to say something out of line. He knew he had to keep their friendship regardless of what happened.

"Ok, well, I'll let you go so you can get back to him."

"John..."

"I'll be fine, darlin'. Have a good night."

"Will I see you tomorrow?" She asked instantly.

"Are you coming to 8123?"

"Yeah."

"Then yes, you will."

"Good because regardless of what happens between us, I love you, you know?"

"I know. To the moon and back." He added and she grinned, "Exactly."

"Goodnight Kenz."

Kenzie hung up the phone with a heavy heart. She was uncertain that this feeling would ever go away.

She moved from the chair and headed back inside. Garrett's eyes immediately hit her as she walked over and collapsed on the couch.

"Well?"

"Him and Shannon got into a fight apparently and he wanted me to come over..."

"And?"

"And I told him you were here so I couldn't." She mumbled now feeling bad.

Garrett chuckled, "Good job. I'm proud of you."

"I feel bad. He sounded sad or something."

"Oh I'm sure they will be fine tomorrow but I'm even more sure you telling him no because of me made him a bit mad. At me that is."

She sighed and laid against the boy, "I just miss him. It's hard."

"I know, but it will be worth it. You'll see him tomorrow when we go to the studio."

"I know..."

Even though she knew she would see him soon it didn't make it any easier.

The next day, Kenzie got up early enough to dress the part and honestly she had started to grow fond of dressing more girly. She chose a simple green colored summer dress, slid on some flats and braided her hair to the side before putting on a little make up. She grabbed up a denim jacket just in case before leaving her room where Garrett was waiting.

"The fact that you have clothes here to change into is disturbing." She stated noticing the change in his attire.

He chuckled, "Only makes sense since I'm your boyfriend and all. By the way, you look pretty today."

"Well thank you." She mumbled and he grabbed her hand before pulling her out of the apartment. She honestly was nervous about seeing John. Even more so she was curious to see if Shannon would be there or not.

Once they arrived she immediately was met by Eric at the door who scooped her up.

"I don't understand what's happening to you. Like, you actually turn me on a little now. It's weird."

"Put me down Halvo!"

He laughed placing her on her feet and her eyes immediately landed on John who was standing with Kennedy and now Garrett.

She breathed in before walking over to join the group.

"Hey you." John stated pulling her into him not caring if Garrett was around or not, but that did basically seal the deal that Shannon was not here.

"Hey." She mumbled into his shirt.

"Everything ok?" She asked looking up at him and he shrugged with a grin.

"I'm picking her up for dinner tonight so we will see."

She simply nodded and he removed his arms from her.

"You look pretty. I like that color on you." He said nonchalantly before walking over to Jared who was trying to hang up a picture.

"He hasn't even spoken to me. Asshole." Garrett said interrupting her thoughts and she looked up at him. He grinned and slid his arm around her waist.

"I mean, he isn't acting mad so..."

"Ah he won't towards you, but good thing I don't care. Prepare yourself for the flirting that's going to take place."

She groaned and he kissed her cheek before flashing a smile.

"Come on. You've been doing so well. Just sit here all cute and what not while I help Pat finish painting that damn wall."

She glared at him and he chuckled, pulling her in before kissing her lips. It may have been their tenth or so kiss but yet she didn't think she would ever be ok with it happening.

"So did you just come to watch us work?" Tim asked in amusement as she sat in a chair.

"Someone has to supervise this madness and be able to call 911 when one of you fall off a ladder or something."

Tim scoffed as the others laughed.

"May be a good call." Jared stated.

"Pat! I liked this shirt!" Garrett shouted as he stared down at his now paint splattered shirt.

"Well who wears a shirt they like when they know they could possibly be painting?" Kenzie questioned from her seat with a smirk.

"Well, sweetie, sorry that I wear my nice clothes over to your house so forgive me for not having a lot to chose from this morning. Sucks to not be dating a slob, huh?"

"What a bummer."

The boys laughed besides John who seemed to be not paying attention to the conversation.

"And it also doesn't help that you wear half my shit when we are at home so..." He stated going back to painting.

"So basically it's my fault."

"Yep. All your fault. Everything." He joked and she rolled her eyes with a grin.

"I mean, feel free to wear my clothes whenever."

The guys busted out laughing and Garrett looked over at the girl who now had a smirk on her lips.

"No thanks. I mean, I don't even like for you to wear your clothes so..." He trailed off not bothering to turn and face John. He could only imagine the look on his face right now.

Kenzie stopped breathing as she watched John drop the nail he was about to hammer into the wall.

Although Kenzie wouldn't have minded a heads up, if this was Garrett's way of subtly putting out there that they may had slept together, his mission was clearly accomplished.

Guess they would see how it all played out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for commenting;
Everdeen (well, it is in fact not that great of a movie...lol)
Chelsea13
:)

Thank you for subscribing/recommending! I can confidently say that it makes both of us very happy that so many of you like this story! :)