Status: Completed.

Sooner or Later

Jealous minds think alike.

Kenzie woke up the next day with more determination than ever. That text from Shannon last night had pushed her over the edge. She had to stop thinking of everyone else and focus more on what she wanted and what she wanted was John.

She sighed as she grabbed her phone off her nightstand, still sitting in bed although she should be getting ready for work. After replying to a few text, she finally forced herself up, went and showered and got ready for the day. As she made her a cup of coffee to take for the drive to work, a knock on the door caused her to stop.

If Garrett was at her door she might beat him that she was certain of.

She slowly made her way over, opening it only to be face to face with John.

"Uh, hi?" She asked a bit startled to see him of all people.

"What have you been telling my girlfriend?"

"Huh?" She asked allowing him in so she could finish making her coffee.

"She told me she talked to you yesterday about me."

"Oh yeah she called me. She was just worried about you."

John rolled his eyes, "And you are giving her advice?"

"I'm not giving her advice, but it does however make me curious when she tells me you refuse to sleep with her."

John scoffed, "I haven't refused and really it's not your business."

She looked over at him as the boy leaned against the counter with crossed arms. He was at least trying to act like he meant business.

"Well please tell me what I should have done! I mean I don't care if you want to sleep with her or not but, for you to date someone for this long and you haven't, it's a bit odd. Either you really like her or you don't like her enough." She stated boldly.

"And like I said it's none of your business. I don't ask about you and Garrett's sex life so stay out of mine."

Kenzie cringed from his statement. She wasn't sure why that stung so much but it did.

"Why are you so mad?! You act like I told her to dump you and move on!"

"I'm not." He grumbled, "And for what it's worth, I can't believe you fucking slept with Garrett."

Kenzie raised an eyebrow at him as she tried to think of something to say. So that was the issue here...

"Oh I'm sorry that I didn't question how you would feel when I slept with my boyfriend. Silly me." She spat out sarcastically. She didn't want him to have the upper hand this time. Especially when she didn't deserve this.

He rolled his eyes and pushed off from the counter.

"I just can't believe it was with him! You haven't even been with him that long!"

"Oh so now you're all holy and wait a long time? Is that what your telling me?" She asked now getting a bit pissed off by his attitude.

"No, just didn't think you were that type of girl, Kenzie."

"That type of girl?! You mean the type of girl who dates you and sleeps with you after barely knowing your last name?! No, that isn't me. That's the girl's you tend to date."

"Do you love him?" John asked seriously.

"What?" She stuttered out as her eyes met his.

"Are you in love with Garrett?"

She now couldn't even breathe. This was not something she had went over with Garrett. What was she suppose to say?

"I-I don't know..." She whispered and he nodded, "Right, but you're different than me."

She rolled his eyes, "Oh and did you sleep with Shannon last night?"

"That's none of your business."

"So let me get this straight, you think you need to know about my love life but you can't tell me?"

"It's not your business. Isn't that what you told me?"

"So you haven't." She said confidently and honestly she was hoping she was right for once.

John eyes her from where he stood as she tried to clean up a bit. As much as he wanted to deny that he hadn't, he couldn't simply because she was right. He just couldn't go through with it.

"I've got to go to work. I'm going to be late." She stated moving past him to go grab her bag.

John honestly felt a bit bad about how the conversation went. He waited on her by the door as he tried to figure out how to apologize. She finally appeared and went to reach for the door only to have John grab her and pull her to him. He hated how he had been treating her lately. It was always hot or cold and he knew she was getting sick of his mood swings. Even he was at this point.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled into her hair as she relaxed against him.

"Regardless of what I say, I just want you to be happy. That's all I want." He whispered, "I don't give a shit if you sleep with whoever. Well, I mean I do just because I am protective of you, but I'll try to keep that in."

She didn't bother to speak as he gently pressed his lips to her forehead. Her eyes moved to his and the pair stood there just staring at each other causing her heart to now beat uncontrollably.

He boldly brought his hand to her cheek, rubbing her skin lightly with his fingers. She was certain even if she wanted to move she wouldn't be able to.

His other arm still hung around her waist, causing them to be closer than she thought she would be able to handle right now.

He then leaned in causing her to immediately stop breathing. His lips landed next to her nose as she shut her eyes trying to control herself. The effect he now had on her was so hard to understand. Especially for her.

"I don't want to make you late." He whispered, his face still too close to hers for her to be able to even think straight. She clung to his shirt unsure if she could even walk right now.

"Do you have plans tonight?" He asked and she nodded, "I mean, I was going to stay with Garrett."

"Of course, well, I miss you. So when you have time for me, let me know."

"I always can make time for you, John."

He grinned weakly, as he stared down at her, "Then what time do you get off?"

"Around 3."

"Then let me take you. I'll pick you up and we can hang out."

"You sure?"

He nodded, "Of course."

"Ok." She whispered. She knew she had to call Garrett as soon as she got to work. Especially because she knew she would be freaking out by that point.

Once she reached the store she immediately punched in and called Garrett since there wasn't any customers yet. The boy answered on the second ring and she breathed in, "Come to work please. I need to talk to you."

The boy groaned on the other line, "This better be good. But give me an hour or so. I'm with Pat."

The girl busied her self until Garrett walked in and she immediately attacked him at the door. Feeling better simply from his presence. For some reason he had become a security blanket for her lately.

"What happened?" He asked coolly as he held onto the girl in his arms.

"My life sucks."

He chuckled, "I doubt it but go on."

She spilled about everything that happened this morning and by the end of it Garrett's smile was so wide it looked painful.

"Garrett stop smiling like that! It creeps me out!"

He chuckled, "I'm sorry but this is awesome! We are so getting to him and him acting that way before you left?! I mean, he basically is telling you he has feelings for you! Kenzie you have to tell him."

"What?! Are you crazy?!"

"No! It's the perfect time. Oh! I could break up with you, you could pretend you're hurt and he'll immediately be by your side...well after he probably tries to kick my ass but I'll deal with that later."

She glared at him as she crossed her arms, "Kenzie..." He cooed cupping her face, "Have I been wrong yet?"

She sighed and although she hated to shake her head no, he was in fact right.

"It'll all work out. Let me feel out the situation between him and Shannon and we will go from there."

"How do you plan to do that?"

"I may have texted him telling him I was coming here and that he should stop by because I haven't hung out with him in a while."

She rolled her eyes and be wrapped her in his arms as the door chimed not to far from them.

"Wanna bet if that is him?" He whispered. Her eyes met his and he kissed her immediately.

"Kissing on the job is probably prohibited." They heard John's voice and Garrett grinned against her lips before pulling away.

"Can you two not harass other people?" She asked pulling from Garett's grasp.

"And what would be the fun in that darling?" He asked kissing her once more before looking at John who in typical fashion seemed uncomfortable.

She rolled her eyes and went back to trying to put some music back in order.

"What do I owe this visit to?" She asked as John leaned against the wall beside her.

"Well, I mean, I was planning to pick you up in an hour and Garrett said he was going to stop by so here we are."

Garrett smirked from where he stood and she rolled her eyes at him.

"Stealing my girlfriend, John Oh?"

"Yep. She was mine first so..." He stated and that statement caused Kenzie to shiver.

"Mhm, well, she's my girlfriend so..."

"So really I'm no ones." She stated glaring at both of them.

They both snickered and she rolled her eyes, "Can you guys go play or something? I need to finish working."

"Yes m'am." John stated and the two laughed as they walked to another part of the store.

Although she tried to work she was too busy watching the two boys. No telling what they were discussing and that nerved her. By the time three came she snuck off to clock out and to grab her things.

"Well, text me when you're little friend date is over." Garrett said pulling her to him and she nodded, "I will. Come get me from John's?"

"Course baby."

She grinned and raised up to kiss him. This was becoming easier for her that was for sure.

Once they said goodbye she followed John out to his truck where he coolly sat in the driver's seat, lighting up a cigarette almost immediately.

"Finally." He grumbled and she rolled her eyes as she buckled her seatbelt.

"Where are we going?" She asked and he shrugged, "I don't know really."

She nodded not bothering to speak as she stuck her hand out the window to feel the wind that now blew in her hair.

John glanced over at her, a grin hitting his lips. For some reason this moment felt like old times and he didn't want it to end. The pair continued to drive, listening to a Tom Petty record he hadn't gotten sick of yet.

She looked over at him after what felt like forever and he was singing along softly as he tapped his fingers on the steering wheel. In that moment she honestly just felt disconnected from him. She hated how so much had changed. She slid over closer to him, sliding her arm between his as she leaned against his shoulder with a sigh. He didn't dare speak just allowed her to get comfortable beside him and he linked their hands slowly. She shut her eyes taking in the way he smelled. This was how they were suppose to be and she wasn't sure how he could not see it.

"John?"

"Mhm?"

"Do you love Shannon?" She asked and he didn't even hesitate responding which took her off guard, "No, Kenz. I don't. I never will." He whispered as he kept his eyes strictly on the road ahead.

Kenzie couldn't help the relief that filled her at that moment. That just made her more confident in her and Garrett's plans. Maybe it would work out after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts? Feelings? Predictions? :3

Thanks for commenting, subscribing, etc. :)