Status: Completed.

Sooner or Later

Keep it together.

"This is complete bullshit." John mumbled as he crossed his arms once on the couch. The group had been called to Garrett's by Kenzie and no one was sure what it was about.

"She will be here soon." Garrett said and John shot him a look. Garrett didn't have to ask if the boy was still mad about yesterday. He could just tell.

Before John could come up with a smart ass remark to Garrett. the front door opened and in walked Kenzie with Halvo of all people and John raised an eyebrow at the pair.

"What is this about?" He asked not wasting time. He was still too pissed at Garrett to be around here.

"Relax. Gar and I just thought it would be best to tell you all together so you all can know it's mutual and there's nothing awkward between us." Kenzie said as Garrett stood beside her, urging her on.

"We are breaking up."

John scoffed, "That's what's mutual? No, I'm pretty certain that's what needed to happen regardless."

"John..." Kenzie spoke and he shook his head as he stood from his seat.

"No, this is complete bullshit and Garrett, you are honestly lucky I haven't beat the shit out of you. If you think that just because she's acting like everything is fine that she means it then you know nothing about her. I am so pissed off at you because if anything, I at least thought you were a good guy, but apparently that's bullshit. You're just like every other asshole she's ever been into and if you honestly think that whatever girl that you were with is better than Kenzie you are wrong. You'll never find anyone better than her, and I can't wait until you find that out." He got out before stomping out of the house and slamming the door.

Kenzie stood there uncomfortably as she bit her bottom lip. Garrett turned to face her, a grin now on his face not caring if anyone else saw. He knew that this had worked in their favor even if it wasn't planned.

"Go after him." Garrett spoke softly and she nodded not daring to look at the guys who had managed to stay quiet through the whole ordeal.

Kenzie sprinted out of the house only to find John leaned against his truck smoking.

"You ok?" She whispered once she stepped in front of him.

"How are you ok is the question?" He asked his eyes narrowing at her.

She shrugged as she crossed her arms again.

"Right, either you aren't or you are because you didn't like him that much but I have a hard time believing that one."

Kenzie bit her lip as she debated on just telling him the truth but he was already so mad that she didn't want to add on to it so she just decided to lie yet again.

"I just don't want people mad at him. He didn't cheat, John. I just think we work out better as friends."

"But why? Everything seemed good between you two. At least that's what I saw and if it wasn't why didn't you tell me?"

She tried to think of what to say. What would make sense with the story but at this point she was just tired of lying so before she knew it she was crying.

John threw out his cigarette and immediately wrapped the girl in his arms.

"It's going to be ok." He whispered.

"No it's not." She cried into his shirt.

"It is. Look, I'm going to cancel my plans with Shannon tonight."

"What? No." She said looking up at him, with tear stained cheeks.

"Yes, I'm going to spend the night with you."

"John, seriously, you don't have to. I'm fine."

"No you're not and you're my best friend so I'm going to be there for you."

She nodded as her eyes began to water again. Best friends. That's what they were going to be and the realization of it made her want to cry all over again. She had officially lost the war.

"You rode with Halvo?" He asked and the girl nodded.

"Good. Get in the truck."

She didn't object just did what he said. She tried to clean herself up a bit now that she was done crying as he drove to her place.

As they walked in John had his cell phone pressed to his ear. She was certain he was calling Shannon which made her feel even worse. As John stepped away to talk she kicked off her shoes and pulled up her hair before falling on the couch with a sigh. She honestly didn't know if anything ever was going to work out and she hated that.

John eventually joined her on the couch and she looked over at him, "Is she mad?"

"Nah, she said she's sorry and she hopes you feel better."

Another jab to the heart for Kenzie.

Kenzie nodded and John kicked off his boots before pulling off his jacket.

Kenzie stared blankly at the television and John watched her from where he sat. Knowing she was hurting honestly made him hurt too. He just wanted to make her feel better. When she felt bad it was almost like he felt what she felt.

"Kenz..."

She turned her head to look at him and he brought his hands to her face, "I'm so sorry. I really am. I hate seeing you upset." He whispered, his thumbs brushing her cheeks and she tried to ignore the butterflies in her stomach.

"It's not your fault." She got out.

"I know, but I just can't help but feel like I have to do whatever it takes to make it better."

"Don't feel that way and please don't stay mad at Garrett."

He grinned weakly, "Kenz, you are my best friend. You know how I am with you. I'm overly protective and that's no exception to Garrett just because I know him."

She sighed and he kissed her forehead gently, "I love you." He whispered, his eyes locking with hers. Her stomach was now in knots as the pair kept eye contact, his fingers brushing over her jaw. He pulled her closer, her nose almost touching his and she almost stopped breathing.

"I am however happy about one thing and maybe it's a bit selfish." He whispered sliding his arm around her waist.

"And what would that be?" She asked shakily.

He pressed his lips to her cheek before cuddling her to him as he laid on the couch.

"I'm glad I have you back. I'm not into sharing you. Garrett made me realize that."

She smile weakly, "But I have to share you so that's not very fair."

He propped himself up on his arm in order to look down at her.

"You've never had to share me, Kenzie." He spoke softly, running his fingers into his hair, "And you never will."

"Until you marry Shannon or something."

He scoffed, "You and I both know that won't ever happen."

"It could if you fall in love with her."

John sighed as he stared at the girl, "Kenzie, that isn't going to happen either."

"You don't know that. It could."

He shook his head, "I know it isn't."

"I'm not even going to ask why you are with her then..."

"Good because I don't want to argue again."

She didn't object, she was too tired to fight thanks to all the crying.

"You're staying right?" She asked softly as she cuddled closer to him.

"I said I was."

"Thank you. I don't know what I would do without you."

"You'll never be without me." He whispered.

She shut her eyes once her head hit his chest and he wrapped his arm around her tightly. Between the comfort she felt in his arms and the familiar smell of him she had grown use to she felt herself drifting to sleep.

"I love you." She mumbled and he kissed her head, "I love you too. To the moon and back, Kenzie."

He was starting to question how true that actually was.

The next morning Kenzie woke up alone on the couch. She frowned as she say up, rubbing her eyes. Was last night not real? Before all the negative things could come swarming back to her John walked into the room, his jeans hanging low on his hips and his tattoos on full display now that his shirt was off. The sight alone made her shiver.

"Oh you're up." He spoke softly and she nodded staring at him until he cleared his throat.

"I um, went to go get you a blanket." He whispered rubbing the back of his neck as he held onto the blanket with the other.

She grinned weakly, "Thank you."

He nodded as he stepped to her, covering her legs with the blue blanket.

"Should have known you'd wake up once I moved from the couch."

"Are you leaving?" She asked, locking eyes with him.

"Well, I mean I feel like I should."

She gave him a confused look and he leaned closer to her, "I have some Maine stuff to do."

She nodded not sure if she fully believed that excuse.

"You ok?" He asked sitting beside her cautiously.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Go ahead."

He studied her as she relaxed against the couch. A part of him wanted to stay with her but a part of him was feeling indifferent about her which scared him so he wanted to leave.

"How about I come back later with Halvo that should make you feel better."

She scoffed, "Of course."

He chuckled and leaned in to kiss her forehead, "I love you."

"Love you." She mumbled and he gently pulled her to his chest and hugged her to him.

"Everything will get better. You'll see." He whispered to her. Kenzie sighed and relaxed against his chest. She was so sure if she believed that or not anymore.

She watched him slip on his shirt and boots before saying goodbye once more and leaving. It was times like this that she really wanted to call Garrett. But at this point she wasn't sure if that was something she could do. Plus, he apparently had a girl in his life and she didn't want to call and him be out with her.

She sighed as she relaxed against the couch. She wasn't sure why, but she felt more alone than ever now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Easter everyone!

Hope you enjoy the update. Things are starting to Happen! :)

Thanks for commenting;
Chelsea13 (No revolt necessary!! Haha)
Everdeen
Ewthatscute
Julienne (well I'm glad you're that excited! Ha.)

:)