Status: Completed.

Sooner or Later

I don't love you.

As much as John hated to, he ran after Shannon as she hurried to her car. He caught up to her right as she reached her parking spot although he was hoping she would get away. He wasn't into confrontation, but he felt the need to explain himself. Especially when for once, the girl involved did nothing wrong.

"Shannon! Will you just let me talk?" He shouted out of breath. The girl spun around quickly, anger clearly written on her face. She didn't respond to his request, so he took that as an opportunity to speak.

"I didn't think you were coming tonight. Otherwise..."

"Otherwise what? You wouldn't have sung that song? We would have kept living a lie?"

He shook his head no as he shoved his hands in his pockets.

"I was going to talk to you tomorrow..."

"You mean break up with me."

John sighed. Honestly, he knew he should have broken up with her forever ago. His heart was never fully in it and the whole time he spent away with the band the only person he missed was Kenzie. That was enough for him to decide it had to happen.

"Yes." He spoke seriously and Shannon crossed her arms, "But why? Because you aren't in love with me?"

"Shannon, it's complicated."

"Oh I think I deserve to know. I mean, you wouldn't even sleep with me for heaven sake!"

"Because I'm in love with someone else! I'm sorry. I thought I could get over it and I'm sorry I hurt you, but I'm trying to make things right now." His breathing was uneven once the words escaped his lips. Was that true? Did he mean what he said? Was he in love?

The air between them grew silent and he shifted on his feet as he waited for her to speak.

"With Kenzie. You're in love with her." Shannon spoke out loud. Hearing it made John grow nervous and he really just wanted to deny it and never hear it again.

John's green eyes met hers and she scoffed, "I should have known. Her trying to be my friend should have been enough."

"Whoa now. Don't drag her into this. She doesn't feel that way about me. I mean she just ended things with Garrett so..."

Shannon shook her head with a laugh, "Right. John, if you think that she doesn't feel the same way, you are crazy. I don't know why I never paid attention to it before..."

"I truly am sorry Shannon. I didn't even notice it myself and I'm sorry you were in the middle of it." He spoke softly and yet sincerely. He truly had no intention in hurting the girl at the beginning. Things just spun out of control.

Shannon sighed as she studied the boy, "She really is a great girl, John. She cares for you so much."

He grinned weakly, "Yeah. I'll see you around?"

She nodded, "I'm sure so."

The pair said goodbye and John felt slightly relieved as he began a slow walk back to the venue.

Of course Kenzie paced the hall while John was gone. She didn't know why she was so nervous. It's not like this was her relationship at stake, but she knew the outcome would effect her life and that's what made the nerves appear.

"Relax." Garrett spoke as he leaned against the wall watching her panic.

"I can't. I think I'm just going to see if Halvo is ready to go."

Garrett sighed as he stepped over placing his arm around her shoulders, "I'll take you. Just because I'm not your boyfriend anymore doesn't mean I don't like hanging out with you."

She elbowed him playfully causing the both of them to laugh.

"So what happens now?" He asked as they linked arms and began heading back to where the guys were in order to tell them they were leaving.

"I don't know." She whispered and he patted her arm.

"We will figure it out."

The truth was, Kenzie had never thought that far. What would happen once John and Shannon were actually broken up? Where did she do from here?

"Sure you don't want to wait on John? He's probably going to want you to talk to him."

Kenzie shrugged, "I'm just going to text him."

Garrett sighed, "This will never end."

Kenzie texted John as Garrett drove her to her house. A part of her was hoping John wouldn't want to talk simply because she didn't want to be disappointed again if this didn't end the way she wanted it to.

"Thanks for the ride." She spoke once they parked.

"No problem."

"You know, just because you have a girlfriend doesn't mean you can't see me sometime." She teased and he chuckled, "I'm not sure how she would feel about me seeing my ex-girlfriend, but I promise I will. I do miss hanging out with you all the time."

She laughed and hugged the boy telling him goodnight before heading inside. The girl went straight to her room to change. She decided going to sleep would just be for the best. After she pulled her hair up and wiped off her make up she headed from her room to the living room. As she stepped in, messing with her hair, she immediately squealed and placed her hand over her heart once she realized John was sitting on her couch.

"Could you not announce yourself?!" She asked and he chuckled relaxing on the couch, "I thought you heard me come in."

She glared at him until she realized she was standing in front of him in just a tank top and underwear. Her glare then turned into a blush although he didn't seemed to be phased or realize how she felt.

"You ok?" He asked and she shrugged, "I should be asking you that."

He nodded, "I'm just, I don't know, relieved, feeling crappy, and exhausted all at the same time."

"Well did you lock the door?" She asked and he nodded instantly.

"Then come on. Let's sleep."

He grinned as he pulled up from the couch. His boots already sitting on the floor. Clearly he was planning to stay anyways.

He reached for her hand, holding it gently in his and she turned off the light before pulling him into her room.

"Nice, undies, are those dinosaurs?" He teased and she smacked him lightly causing him to laugh as he dropped her hand.

"Shut up." She mumbled as she climbed into the bed. He snickered as he pulled his shirt off. She fell back onto the pillow with a sigh knowing it would be creepy to continue to watch him like she wanted to.

Not even a minute later the light went out and the other side of the bed moved causing her heart to race. He didn't think anything of it as he wrapped his arm around her, pulling her closer.

"I missed you." John breathed against her shoulder and she shut her eyes tightly as his fingers repeatedly ran over her skin.

"We literally talked everyday." She managed to get out.

"I know, it's just not the same."

"So um, what happened with Shannon?"

"I don't want to talk about it..."

She didn't respond and he pressed his lips to her skin, "She's not happy if that's what you're wondering."

"I figured that."

"We talked it out and I thought she was fine so as I was walking away I remembered something so I ran back over to her, and asked if I could have my jacket back..."

"Oh god." She spoke as she started laughing.

He chuckled against her shoulder, "It's not funny."

"Did you get it back?"

"No!"

"So that's the real reason you're upset."

"Life just won't be the same without it."

The two went into a fit of laughter and she turned enough to look at him, a smile still on his lips.

"I'll buy you a new one." She replied, absentmindedly brushing her fingers through his hair.

His eyes locked with hers and he brought his hand to her cheek. His thumb brushing over her skin.

"You're the only girl I need, Kenz. I don't know why I even bother."

"Because you're a guy and you can't function without getting laid?"

He laughed, "Ouch. Something tells me I would survive."

She grinned as she relaxed her head on the pillow. He propped himself up on his elbow as he stared down at her.

"Why did you decide to break up with her?" Kenzie asked at a whisper.

He traced his fingers over her jaw, trailing down her neck to her shoulder which caused her to immediately shiver.

"Because you were the only person I missed while we were away." He responded softly. He ran his fingers gently over her collarbone, his eyes never leaving hers and she now couldn't breathe. John didn't know why, but he found himself placing soft kisses over her bare shoulder. He was certain acting this way wasn't very 'friend like' but, the way he had been feeling lately seemed to make him not care so much.

"I realized something while I was away." He whispered, his fingers running into her hair as their eyes met again.

"What?" She choked out.

"That you make me feel something no one else does."

"What would that be?"

He sighed as he fell back onto his pillow, his hand finding hers before he spoke.

"Whole. I feel complete with you. I don't know why, or how but I just know when I finally see you after a bad day or being out of town, all my anxiety and problems just melt away because you're with me and you make everything better."

She couldn't manage to speak and the silence began to make him uncomfortable.

"I know it's stupid..."

"No. It's not. I feel that way too." She whispered honestly. He turned to look at her and she gave him a grin before cuddling into his side.

He brought his hand to her hair and kissed her forehead.

"Sweet dreams pretty girl." He mumbled, "I love you to the moon and back."

She didn't bother responding as she shut her eyes and took comfort in him holding her. John on the other hand couldn't sleep. He had so much on his mind and so many feelings going on that he couldn't seem to comprehend it all. All he knew is that lately all he could think of was Kenzie and he wasn't sure if that would be considered normal or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay an update! :)

So just as a heads up, my lovely co-writer may be a bit late on updating next week. She has a lot going on for school right now, but no worries, it will be updated eventually. :)

Thanks for commenting;
Chelsea13
Godrea
:)