Status: Completed.

Sooner or Later

Being honest.

When Shannon and Kenzie walked into the restaurant and found the group of guys, all eyes were immediately on Kenzie. Sure, she couldn't remember when she last wore a skirt or put on make up but still, was it right to stare and make her feel uncomfortable?

"Um, is that a skirt?" Halvo asked, being the first to speak as everyone else seemed in a state of shock. She crossed her arms trying not to seem phased as she walked over to where Garrett was.

"Are you wearing make up?" Pat asked immediately as he moved closer to her once she sat down. He examined her as if she was a foreign object of some sort until she finally pushed him back into his seat with an eye roll.

Garrett cleared his throat from beside her. He didn't have feelings for her but, he was a man and he wasn't going to deny that she was attractive.

Kenzie shifted uncomfortably in her seat, she wasn't one for attention and she didn't have to look at John to know his eyes were glued to her. He wasn't sure what was going on with her, but this sealed the deal for him. Something was and he was going to figure it out now.

Garrett reached over, grabbing Kenzie's hand that rested in her lap. Her eyes met his and he gave her a grin.

"Relax will ya? You look great, sweetie. They're just picking on you because that's what we do." He whispered and she chuckled as he continued, "I mean, sit here and tell me if one of us changed something you wouldn't make fun of us."

"Ok, you're right."

His smile widened, "Exactly. However, I'm telling you the truth, you look beautiful."

She gave him an appreciative grin, "Thanks Gar."

"All in a days work of being your fake boyfriend."

She giggled and he kissed her cheek before reaching for the menu.

Her eyes then landed on John who, although Shannon was talking, he was staring down Kenzie. She gulped knowing he was probably still mad about last night and clearly this wasn't helping any.

"Has John talked to you?" She whispered to Garrett and the boy sighed, "Sort of. I think he really does think something is going on with us now."

"You think?" She stated sarcastically and he rolled his eyes, "Oh relax. Who cares? He can't tell you who to date, Kenz. Fake or not."

She sighed knowing he was right and before she could speak the waitress appeared to take their orders. Thankfully her alcoholic drink made it there in a timely manner.

"So, I'll go ahead and ask, since no one else will. What the fuck are you two doing?" Halvo asked who was seated in front of her.

"About to eat?" Garrett spoke calmly and Halvo shook his head no, "Something is going on with you two is what I mean."

"Oh leave them alone." Shannon said, waving the boys accusation off like it was her relationship to defend.

"I'm just curious." He states throwing up his hands in defense, "I mean, you two have been spending way more time together than normal, I mean hell, I haven't seen her and John together in days, and now she shows up dressed like this? Something isn't adding up."

Garrett rolled his eyes, placing his arm on the back of Kenzie's chair. He didn't have to look at her to know how she was feeling at the moment. He was hoping by him taking over the conversation she wouldn't just spill her guts.

"Eric, is it any of your business really?" He finally got out.

"No, but it's my business." John abruptly said causing both of them to look at him. Yep. He was mad. She could just tell by the look on his face. His usual light eyes were now a darker shade of green.

All of last nights resentment she had for him seemed to immediately show up again. She could feel it boiling in her skin.

"No it's not John! Nothing I do is actually your concern! Like for instance where I sleep at night! You are not my dad nor my boyfriend so you have no say in those things! So stop being so mad at Garrett because he didn't allow you for once to have control over my life! In fact, from this point on, he is the only one allowed to be concerned about me because he's my boyfriend!" She said loudly before pushing up from the table and stomping away angrily.

The whole table sat there stunned over the sudden outburst and Garrett finally decided he needed to find her. That was the last thing he expected from her so it took him a moment to gather his thoughts.

"No, I need to speak with her." John spoke coolly before moving from his seat and exiting the restaurant without a response from Garrett.

John finally found her a bit down the street pacing back and forth, he assumed to cool down from her rant. She wasn't the type to get so angry.

"Save it." She grumbled and he shoved his hands in his pockets as he just stared at her. He honestly felt horrible. Not about his concern for her but because he felt like everything he had with her was crumbling before him.

"Why do I feel like I'm losing you?" He asked, his voice alone causing her to come to a halt. Her eyes met his and she breathed in, "What do you mean?"

"Why didn't you tell me about you and Garrett?"

"When would I have, John? I've seen your girlfriend more lately than you." She responded softly and he gulped down the lump now in his throat.

"I'm sorry."

She shook her head with a weak grin, "You have a life."

"You're apart of that life."

"I don't know about that..."

"What? Kenzie you're my best friend. My rock in this crazy world. I'm sorry, ok? I do want to be around you. I love being around you. You know that. I'll make time for us, ok?" He spoke seriously and she shrugged not wanting to give into him like she felt was happening.

"I'm sorry for last night and for earlier. If you really like Garrett..." He spoke trying to say what he should say instead of what he wanted, "...then I'm ok with you two being together."

She bit her bottom lip debating on telling him the truth but the whole relationship thing was clearly working out like planned.

"I do."

John nodded although uncertain how he felt about this new ordeal. Her being with Garrett, this whole new look thing she was trying out. It was too much for him to take in. She was changing right before his eyes and he didn't know how to handle it.

"You look beautiful by the way. I mean, I always think you are but this right here is good." He said awkwardly as he rubbed the back of his neck. He was never good at compliments especially to her simply because he felt like they sounded not as sincere as he meant them.

A grin hit her lips as she blushed lightly, for some reason his compliments seemed to mean more than anyone else's and she was never sure why.

"Thanks O'Callaghan."

His eyes locked with hers and before she knew it she was hugging him which he didn't object to.

"Don't scare me like that again, ok?" He whispered, "I'll always need you. I love you to the moon and back, remember?"

She chuckled into his shirt, her eyes shut tightly as she took in his smell that she didn't realize she had missed so much. Sleeping with Garrett was just not cutting it. No one could replace John.

"I need you too. I'm sorry I didn't tell you about Garrett."

"It's ok, darling. We will work on our stubborn ways later."

She laughed, pulling away from him and he smiled down at her.

"Come on, I'm sure our food has arrived." He stated holding out his hand for her which she gladly accepted.

Maybe things would in fact be better from here on out.

Once they returned to their seats Garrett eyed her as he tried to decide on what to say.

"Everything's fine."

"You sure?" He whispered and she nodded with a grin, "Yeah, I'm sure."

"Because I didn't expect that and although a heads up probably wouldn't have prepared me anymore, I got the third degree when you left."

She frowned, "I'm sorry."

"No problem. I am slightly offended that everyone finds it hard to believe that we would like each other though."

She chuckled, "I assume that makes sense."

"I mean, I think I'm a likable guy!"

"You most definitely are."

He smiled, "Well thanks for that."

The group ate and luckily it wasn't uncomfortable anymore. Although she could tell they still found the situation weird.

"I'm so glad you don't have to hide anymore." Shannon stated hugging her as they stepped out of the restaurant.

"Yeah, me too." She managed to get out as the girl smiled at her. Why did she have to be nice? She had spent forever trying to find something that was wrong with her and yet she couldn't. Shannon was a genuinely nice person and she hated that.

"I know she rode with you, but do you mind if I steal her?" Garrett asked sliding his arm around Kenzie's waist with a grin.

"Oh not at all!" Shannon responded with a smile. She was too happy about this.

John has approached the group by then and although he tried to hide his disapproval, he couldn't seem to smile. He really didn't know why he felt this way, he assumed it was just because he had always been protective of the girl and here she was dating his band mate. It just left a bad taste in his mouth. If she would never date he would be happy about it.

"So, can we hang out tomorrow?" John asked, his eyes locking with Kenzie's and she slowly nodded.

"Great, I'll text you later."

She nodded as she watched him and Shannon walk away leaving Garrett and her alone.

"Well, I'm not going to say we deserve an award for all the great deeds we've done lately, but.." Garrett joked throwing his arm around her shoulders as they walked to his car.

Kenzie laughed, "Oh shush."

Garrett laughed, "So how long do we need to keep this up? I mean, I don't like being the optimistic one, but I fear that the two of them might actually last a while and that's putting it nicely."

She sighed, glancing over at the blue eyed boy who was now looking at her.

"I don't know." She mumbled, not liking the idea of the girl being around much longer although, she in fact liked her. She didn't know what was wrong with her at this point.

"Ah, well it's not too bad dating you, so I guess we will just wait and see, huh?"

She rolled her eyes as he laughed and unlocked the car.

The pair climbed in and headed back to Garrett's place. Kenzie was now fighting with her own thoughts. She wanted John to be happy, she really did and yet a part of her hated the thought of Shannon being around. Even more so, she hated the thought of having to spend weeks pretending to date Garrett. Not that there was a problem with him, but acting like she liked him like that was going to take it's toll on her.

At this point she didn't know what to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to everyone for subscribing, recommending and commenting. It really means a lot and I'm glad you guys are enjoying this story! :)

So what do you think will happen next?! Really your guess is as good as mine...haha

Thanks for commenting;
Everdeen (yes she is very Cameron Diaz like . Haha)
Godrea
:)