‹ Prequel: Mechanical.net
Status: Phase 2 - Initiated - Monthly updatred expected

Mechanical.org

The Recovery:

I had been in an accident. It had been painful, just as you had expected. In the end, I had learned, I was loosing both my legs. Which would end my career as a diver, wouldn't it? Who'd heard of a legless diver?
In the regard, I had been lucky, the group of Marine Biologists had had me insured against just this kind of things. With that, I had been told, they would give me a full recovery. I was to be back in the water, in no time.
At first, I couldn't believe them. I doubted they could bring me a full recovery. Recreating a pair of fully functioning legs, was just too much for the contemporary science, for all I knew. Apparently, I had been wrong. I had indeed been lucky. All I need, had been developed, just in time for me to need, and thus make use of it.
Now, I had woken up from my intensive surgery. Both my natural legs had been removed, there was no saving them, as they had told me. Not just for what was known as the Phantom Pains. It's among the worst of my night mates.
My head feels foggy, from the narcosis, and the other drugs they had propped my system with. I knew of it. It is common. I need not be ashamed of it.
At least, there is no pain, but I couldn't feel my legs at all. Even if I did faintly recall, they had told me they had been removed, from my hips down. I also recall thy had told me, I had been too young to retire. Even if the insurance had promised 'full recovery'.
I had seen a few blurry faces, and voices passing me. I had no idea, who it was, or what they had said. For now, it made no difference to me. All I know is that my pain had been removed.
As the fog parted, I could see clearly, what is around me. I lay on a gurney, I'm in the hospital. That much made sense to me. Where else could they help me, and releave my pain?
Later, in what seems to be late evening, the surgeon had returned to look back at me.
“You're awake. Finally. The surgery went well. You will be fitted with the very latest in prosthesis!” she had promised me.
“Mechanical legs?”
“Those would have worked very well on dry land, I'd admit, and should work in your work as well. Yet, you have been promised a new chance. Since you're a diver, right. You're to be given the very latest, for divers. I trust you have red the stories, or seen at least a film, featuring mermaids?” she then responded.
I'm not sure I follow, but yes, I've seen a few of the films, and loved a few of the books. But how does this aid me in recovery? They had promised me full recovery, I think I recall as much!” I stated.
“Now as you mentioned, you're right, they promised. That's exactly what you'll get. Both privately, and professionally. You'll be walking out of here, once you've been cleared the observation period, so that we know there is nothing wrong with you. Within a week from then, you'll be back under water, swimming with the very best of them. Then I expect to see from you again!” she informed me, matter of fact.
“You're saying I will get both the legs, and the tail?” I uttered in a surprised but hopeful voice.
“That's exactly what I meant. Not only that, the tail will be adjusted for your dives. It's not just a simple leisure tail, like the regular, commercial versions you may have heard of? I think I heard it is packed with al the convenience you could possibly hope for!” she then pointed out, eagerly.
“Dolphin or shark tail? Lights, oxygen, ballast and balance is included?” I suggested.
“I was told you're free to choose, there was little difference to them. Additional echo, and some shark sensory, included gills and tanks, naturally, you'd feel touch and pain, comes with depth meter, chronometer, and several alarms, in order to keep you safer then ever. It even came with bio-luminescence, I was told, what ever you'd need it for!” she returned.
“They paid for all that?” I breathed in disbelief.
“Apparently!” she responded.
“Gotta cost an arm and a leg!” I pointed out emphatically.
“In your case, two legs, more accurately!” she chided me.
“Oh yeah!” I responded in an amused tone, even though the memory still did hurt me.
Still, she was right. I had paid fairly dearly, for what I was given. Besides, the insurance should cover it, as they had stated, repeatedly. Both before, and after my accident. I had not tried to get in harms way. I had in fact made my best, in sensible terms, in order to stay safe. Who wouldn't?
“As I said, you'll walk out of here, and most likely within the week. You'll be trying out the tail of your choice, with everything included already installed, most likely some time by tomorrow. Before that, I'll have you taking your first step, as a reformed girl, though. I guess you can consider yourself lucky. Partially due to your age, but also the insurance you have been beneficing from!” she told me.
“With the insurance covering the costs, I guess I can be happy I'm as young as I am. Adjusting is easer in youth, then in age!” I responded, with a smile on my lips.
The initial implant I gave you, will interact with either of the prosthetics you've been given, and what ever other once you'll pick up later. No need to adjust them later, unless there is anything wrong with them. That's part of the reason,I'll hold you here as long as I am. I need to see the implants works, and interact as intended. These are new and sophisticated prosthetics. Way beyond what I had previously seen. I may have heard of some of the older once, who have been in use for a while. But nothing like yours!” she stated.

The implants came with a life time warranty?” I breathed.

“They apparently did. I guess it is in part a matter of making a name for the new prosthetics, and, or corporation?” she then suggested.

“That would clearly state they were in for quality prosthetics, and that they are listening to the needs of the costumers. I think I like the sounds of that!” I uttered.

“I wouldn't have touched any of it, if I couldn't trust the quality of these. I have a reputation to live up to, and patients to protect. If I was to go with less then the best, and reliable options, where'd that take me?” she said.

Then a nurse came in.

“In half an hour, it's time for your supper!” she announced.

“You may as well rest, then you'd hopefully enjoy your meal!” the surgeon suggested, before she left.

I just nodded. Then I noticed, the nurse left as well, just after the surgeon. I'm alone, considering what we had just been discussing.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you did not read the 2 Prequels, you should still manage to make heads and tails out of this story, though you may consider going back to the Summary, if you did not read it. Even if I may choose to complete it further, later on.

If you did read the Prequals, I hope you still enjoy where I'm taking the story.

Either way, I'd apreciate to hear your thoughts on the story, and what you think of it.

Naturally, the story will be develloped further, chapter by chapter, and a few more sequels are likely to come in due time.

I'll leave you to the story, or what ever you're doing after you red this. Thiough I do hope to see you all back for more.