How I Cheated Death

The Color White

I opened my eyes and I'm pretty sure I'd been kidnapped.
The last thing I remember about my night was falling asleep beside Justin and our amazing time at our prom. I don't remember these trees and I definitely don't remember this bench. I recall the bed we slept in cuddled up to each other.
I sat up on the bench and my head started spinning with the worst ringing in my ears I'd ever heard.
Everything was white, and that only added to the pain I felt in my head. Attempting to squint wasn't exactly helping my case so I just covered my face with my hands and sat there for a moment trying to remember what had happened.
After moments of calling what had happened that morning it confused me how everything suddenly cut off after we left Justin's house.
Did I even make it home?
My only conclusion is I must be dreaming.
I'm still in the car, and I'm sleeping.
I was thinking of the best way to wake myself up and I thought of how the actors do it in movies, they usually pinch themselves, right? I looked down at my usually bitten nails, replaced with white polish, and attempted their theory.
"Ow!" I exclaimed. That was obviously not the best plan.
The headache I had moments ago had soothed mildly, so I figured while I'm in this dream I might as well look around and see what's here.
I was in the middle of a park. One that looked similar to the one down the street from Justin's parent's house. If I was right, I could take a left up that path and it'll take me to the main road.
I started to run the way that I thought would take me out of this strange place.
I stopped at the road and looked around for someone to ask what was going on. Anyone that could help me.
There were no cars in sight, and not one soul around me.
The faint smell of smoke filled my nostrils and a strange tinge of metal started to form in my mouth. Off in the distance it looked like something was on fire, and if something was on fire someone had to have set it, right?
I set foot in the direction of the smoke and the only other color that was filling this strange world, a dark gray in the sky.
When I walked up faint voices and sirens were faintly filling my ears but there was nothing around besides the smoke coming from inside the white trees.
I walked forward to see what was making the clouds of smoke and what I found startled me.
Justin's car had hit head-on into a tree and the entire front looked mangled.
I heard a voice call my name from the direction of the front of the car and I ran towards it. I couldn't see anyone but I they kept saying my name over and over and asking me to wake up.
This voice sounded so filled with concern but how could they not see I actually was awake I just couldn't see where it was coming from.
All of a sudden the bitter taste in my mouth became worse and the headache I had before started pounding through my skull.
"What is this place?" I screamed hoping I would get some kind of answer, "show yourself!"
"Come on Tara, I know you can hear me!" The male voice said.
"I can hear you but where are you?" I begged. I waited for a few long moments and I didn't get an answer back.
I pressed my cold hands to my forehead and tried again to find the voice that had been seeking me out.
Seconds later, I heard it again but it sounded far off towards the main road.
As I approached the road again the sirens had gotten louder and I felt a massive electric shock surge through my body.
I fell to my knees as I saw blood dripping down onto my hands and into the pure white grass.
I apologized to the invisible owners of this grass, I'm not sure where this blood is coming from but I would be pretty upset if someone stained my land with their bodily fluids.
I looked up at the sky and screamed as I felt another surge run through my body and fell limp.
I let what was happening to me envelope me in utter silence and closed my eyes, letting myself succumb to how sleepy I felt all of a sudden.