Status: Complete

The Prince and the Thief

Chapter 7

Three days and Vic has only talked to me when we eat. He's been so distract lately. Apparently there are more of the royal guards out because of any escape from the castle prison. They were looking for me in other words. I was the reason these people couldn't live peacefully. I was the reason Jenna wasn't alive anymore. That's what got me. I saw her mother everyday. I saw her at the little funeral they had. No one was crying. There was nothing for them to mourn. I heard Vic at night. I would pretend I was asleep as I listened to him trying so hard not to cry. He was close to Jenna. She was like his little sister.
"Why are you thinking so much?" Mika stopped playing with her doll. I was sitting on the ground right by Vic and I's home. I was suppose to be keeping Mika company while her mother and Vic were in a meeting.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ignore you."
"Is it because of Vic?" Mika brushed through her dolls hair gently. Her clothing was brighter. Most kids have brighter clothing than the adults.
"I-I don't know." I shook my head. I didn't know anymore. After Vic taught me how to fight, he hasn't made eye contact with me. He doesn't even stay in the room alone with me unless he thinks I'm asleep. I just want to figure out what was going on in that weird mind of his. I watch Mika put her doll's hand on Soare's nose. "You wouldn't understand."
"You can talk to me. I may not understand but my mama always told me that it feels good to 'vent'." I sighed.
"I don't know what to think anymore. He's so nice and he makes my heart feel like it's going to exploded and I don't know if he feels the same and I just really want to kiss him." I pulled my knees to my chest, resting my chin on top of them.
"You want to kiss him on the lips?"
"Well, yeah." Mika moved closer to me.
"Do you want to have sex with him?" My jaw dropped.
"How do you even know what sex is?" She giggled.
"We learn about it when we turn seven. It's not a mystery to me." She let her hand run down Soare's fur. "So do you?" I blew up a pierce of my hair that fell in front of my face. Sex. A subject that has never come up in my life till now. Of course I knew what it was. I'm not stupid. I never practiced it but Vic probably has. He said the rules are meant to be broken. With Ranké being all over him, it wouldn't surprise me if he was with her.
"No. I mean I wouldn't mind it. It's just not my intent. He's different." I glanced at the little girl. She was smiling at me. "I think I'm falling for him."
"I think you two would be cute together."
"Why am I talking to a ten year old about this? I sound crazy." Mika continue to play with her doll, ignoring my statement. I put my forehead on my knees so I was staring into the darkness of my own lap. Everything about Vic was so confusing. His moods changed so quickly. One minute he would be playful like down up the dock then next he would be empty. And I never know if he's flirting with me. Every time he get close to showing me any affection it's like something hits him upside the head and says no. My face was pulled out of my lap with a strong grip bringing me face to face with the guy I was thinking about.
"Are you hurt?" I brushed his hands off my cheeks.
"What? No. What are you talking about?" Vic let out a irritated sigh then looked back at Mike with a annoyed gaze. She shrugged innocently.
"He was sad."
"You told me he was in danger. That's the only reason I ran out of the meeting as soon as I could."
"He's in danger of being sad. You should make him happy." Mika winked at me. I felt the heat spread over my cheeks.
"I have something that will make him happy. Now leave." The little girl ran off to another children playing. Vic picked up the weapons that were next to him then pulled me up. He hooked a sword around my waist and then did the same to himself with another one. Then he dragged me to the village gates without another word. I let him to. I was too pissed off to say anything. After awhile I pulled out of his grip and crossed my arms over my chest. He was frowning. "What's wrong?"
"You haven't spoken a word to me for three days, you won't stay in the same room as me, and you don't even smile at me anymore. Then after all that you expect me just to follow you whenever you please. Fuck you." He stopped suddenly causing me to bump into his back.
"I was trying to get permission from Anciano to take you out. I have a surprise." Guilt instantly washed over me. He was just trying to be nice and here I was making a total ass of myself. He grabbed my hand, tugging on it so we would continue walking. We were on a road that looks to be frequently used. With Anciano's warning of more guards lately, I found myself shaking at the possibility of running into a large group. But of thirty minutes of Vic squeezing my hand, we never got jumped and we made it to another gate. Unlike the one at Vic's village this one was just rusty with a little vegetation at the top.
"Where are we?" He pulled me through the crack between doors.
"You'll see." As we walked through the village, I noticed these people weren't as happy. They seemed older. There were no children running around too.
"Where are the parents and children?" Vic kept looking forward.
"This village believes there's a war that is going to go down. So they sent their most valued people towards the rivers."
"And they just left the old people?" He shook his head.
"They left the sick, the weak. People who can't travel." We stopped in front of a big caravan with colorful glass hanging off of it. It just sparkled in the sunlight. Vic walked up the three steps and knock on the wooden door. A faint 'come in' was the only thing I heard. There we two lanterns lit as we opened the door. A small woman with long black hair had her back to us. Vic shut the door as quietly as possible.
"Vic? Is that you?" She turned around and I felt the wind get knocked out of me. Her skin was a pale creamy color that was complimented by her long black hair covering her thin face and bandaged eyes. I put my hand over my mouth. She looked like my mother. Vic took a few steps forward to hug the woman.
"Yeah. It's me."
"How is Kellin doing?" I covered my mouth with my hand, trying to quiet the small sob that went through my lips. This was my mother. The one I haven't seen in twelve years. "Is someone here with you?" She pulled away from him.
"Yes Val. There is someone here to see you." Vic held out his hand and I took it with my free hand. He pulled me closer to where they were standing. She smiled and I felt the tears pour down my face. She looked so beautiful. She put her hands on my face when I got close enough. She was trying to feel my features. She stopped at my hand, prying it off my mouth. Her fingertips went over one of the trails of my tears.
"What's wrong sweetheart? Your crying as if you've seen a ghos-" she stopped mid sentence as she ran a hand over mine. She felt the small scar on the top of my hand. When I tried to get some sweet bread off the table, my father had hit me with a riding crop and broke the skin. I was only five then. A year before she disappeared. She was even the on who cleaned it up. Her other hand went up to cup my cheek. "Kellin?" I reached a hand forward, brushing my finger against her cheek.
"Mom. I'm home." She pulled me into a tight hug as I cried into her shoulder. I felt like a kid again. I had my mom back and there was nothing my father could do.
"Can it really be you?"
"It's me."
"My baby boy." Her voice cracked. I grabbed her shirt in my fist. She was still taller then me but now it was only a few inches. She felt the same. Warm, loving. I never want to leave. I heard the door slam behind us. My mom pulled away looking into the direction of the door. "Was that closing or opening?" I searched for Vic. He was no where to be seen.
"It was closing. Can you excuse me for a moment?"
"Bring him back in. We have a lot to catch up on over dinner." She smiled. I reluctantly let go of her, heading to the door. When I peeked out Vic was up against the caravan with his face hidden by his hands. I went to stand in front of him. I grabbed his wrists, pulling his hands away from his face. He looked like he was trying hard not to cry. Just like every night.
"Are you okay?" He cleared his throat.
"I'm fine."
"Liar." I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him into a hug. He snaked his arms around my waist and let his head fall on my shoulders. "Thank you. Thank you so much." I started crying again. He just held me, lightly rocking us back and forth. I placed a small kiss in his neck. He stopped rocking us. He seemed frozen.
"Are you two done?" He slowly pulled away as my mom's voice interrupted us. I saw a blush on his face. I mentally congratulated myself on getting him to show emotion rather than cockiness, happiness, or his weird calm-angry. "Get in here. I made tea." Vic walked into the mobile home first. As I walked up, my mom grabbed my arm to pull me closer. "Good choice. I like this one." I gave a nervous laugh. We sat around a small table with little cups of tea in front of us. My mom was explaining the day she magically disappeared.
"Val-"
"This young man right here just pulled me of the ledge. I was surprised his little legs could run as fast as he was pulling me. He brought me back here and explain my situation. Then I asked him if he could check up on you every once and awhile. Give you small little gifts on your birthday." I smiled where Vic was sunk down in his seat.
"Do you remember when my birthday is?"
"April 24 or something like that." He shrugged.
"Or something like that? Please! You use to come over and remind me about the cute boy with blue eyes." He sunk down further in the seat, covering his face with his hair. I bit my lip to keep the laugh from spilling out. He finally lost his cool. And all because of a blind thirty eight year old talking about me.
"So how are you mom?" She reached towards where my voice was and searched the table. I set my hand down. She took it in her own.
"I'm doing much better now. How is your father?" I tapped my finger against the tea cup.
"It's been over a week since I've seen him." Her eyebrows disappeared under the white bandage that was covering her eyes. She was confused. "I've been living with Vic."
"And why?! You both are unwed teenagers." I shifted in my seat. I didn't want to tell her the truth. Why would she ask about my father if she didn't still care about me.
"Your husband finally got over torturing your son and decided to send guards after him to kill him." Vic answered for me. He was back to sitting straight up in his seat, looking as calm as ever. Damn him for being able to switch his moods so easily.
"I knew that bastard would try that one day."
"Mom." I remembered the child she was pregnant with when she left. "What happen to the baby?" Her grip tightened on my hand.
"She was a stillborn." I fell back into my seat, my hand falling out her grip. "We did have the right medical supplies like at the castle." I always hoped that my mom and the baby survived all these years. I was hoping to have a sibling out there somewhere who thought the same thing as me. Or even looked like me. So I could spoil them to no end by giving them sweet when they weren't allowed. Telling it stories by lantern when we weren't suppose to be up. All because my father was an asshole and tried to kill my mom with a child. If that didn't happen, the kid would have survived. But I would never have met Vic or Mika. Such a bittersweet decision.
"Are you okay?" Vic placed a hand on my thigh. I nodded.
"I'm fine."
"You don't sound fine." My mom kept her hand on the table at the same place.
"I guess it because I always imagined you two together. Somewhere hidden so father couldn't find you. It's what kept me going." Vic went up to one of the windows, moving the curtains back to look out.
"Vasilissa, we must be leaving now." My mom stood slowly up in her seat.
"Can't you stay here tonight?"
"I'm afraid not. Anciano is worried about late night patrols. He wants everyone in the village back to do a head count. Kellin. We have to go." I jumped forward into my mom's arms.
"I'll be back soon." She pulled away, brushing her hand across my face into my hair.
"I'll be waiting." Vic grabbed my hand and started leading me out of the village. "Vic. You take care of my son." He looked back at her. She was standing there waving to us.
"I always have." He pulled me out of the door. The sun was already setting. "Can you run?"
"Yes." He put his hand on my shoulders and leveled his face with mine.
"No matter what happens or what you hear, you keep running. I can't lose you Kellin."
"Why are you saying this? You can't leave me." He gave me a long kiss on the forehead.
"Run." He pushed me past him. I did what I was told, listening carefully for his footsteps behind me. When I reached the forest line that cover the entrance to my new home, I stopped trying to catch my breath. I waited for Vic to make a smart remake but I didn't hear anything. In fact I only heard my own breathing. I searched for him. When I was about to shout out for him another voice stopped me.
"Hey! I found one!" My heart started pounding as I crept where the voice was. Vic was being held with his hands behind his back, three guards in front of him. I could barely fight. This was impossible.
"Where's the other one you were with?" A guard stood in front of Vic.
"He's safe."
"Touchy." He stepped away and grabbed Vic's discarded sword, throwing it away. "You've killed one of my men."
"He snuck up on me." The guard put a dagger to Vic's ribs.
"I'm going to gut you like a pig, gypsy."
"No!" I shot out of my hiding spot, falling right into one of the guard's arms. Great fucking job. He held my arms behind my back.
"This one doesn't look like the rest. He's pale." The one guard that had the knife to Vic's ribs stood up to inspect me. He tilted my chin up.
"He looks like- ouch- you son of a bitch!" He took the dagger and shoved it into Vic's side. Vic yelp in pain.
"No." I broke out of the guard's grip, running to Vic's side. "You dick!" I glared at the guard. "How could you do that to him?"
"The bastard kick me." I ignored the rest of what he said.
"What do I need to do?" Vic put my hand around the handle of the dagger.
"Pull it out. It's not going to kill me. He just got a cheap shot." I giggled. "Why are you crying?" I blinked, seeing a tear land on his cheek.
"Nothing I'm just stupid." He pulled me down so I could hear his whisper.
"Anciano already had a group out here. Right over there." I looked where his hand motioned. I saw in the bushes a few people dressed in black. Then when I blinked, they were already attacking the guards. A person picked me off of the ground then put Vic so he was leaning on me.
"Get him out of here." I nodded. We made our way past the gate and into our home. Another woman walked in after. She pushed out, speaking in a different language. I was pacing outside. Everything happened so fast. It was like all of it was planned out. I face palmed. It probably was and then I had to go and mess it up. Get him hurt when he probably was the safest person in the world. I looked at the door as the lady came out.
"You can see him now."
"Thank you." I walked into the caravan. Vic was sitting on his bed, leaning against a pile of pillows that had him propped up. There was a white bandage on his side that was stained with a little blood. He was smirking at me.
"Way to ruin our plan."
"Why didn't didn't you just tell me? You wouldn't have freaked me out." I went sit in the edge of his bed.
"I knew you wouldn't have left me if I told you the plan." I thought about it. He was right. I would have probably slowed down to get captured with him. Then the guards would have realized who I was. "Why were you crying?" I hit him on the shoulder.
"Because I thought you were hurt. It scared me." I moved closer to him. "I thought I got you hurt."
"Well you did." I punched him in the shoulder again. He laughed. "That hurt. I'm just joking with you."
"I feel like a jerk." I looked at his bare chest. "Can you please put a shirt on?"
"Why? Am I making you uncomfortable?" I rolled my eyes.
"Whatever. Are you feeling okay?" He nodded.
"Did you enjoy seeing your mom today?"
"Yes. Thank you." He moved himself so he wasn't relying on the pillows. He groaned, putting his hand on his side. "Be careful." I let him lean on my shoulder.
"Why did you come out from hiding?"
"I thought I was going to lose you." He moved back up against his pillows.
"I need to tell you a secret. Come here." I moved closer so my ear was near him. I was facing the wall, waiting for him to whisper in my ear. He turned my face to look at him as he connected our lips. I started to panic and I did the first thing that came to my mind. I pushed him away. He looked as surprise as I felt. I covered my mouth. I wanted to kiss Vic but I didn't expect my first kiss to play out just like that. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to freak you out."
"No. It's fine. It's just I-" I stopped, looking back at him. I leaned forward, closing my eyes, and kissed him again. He hesitated as if thinking I was going to pull away again. When he started to moving his lips against mine, it felt amazing. This what I've been missing. He pulled me closer. I don't think I could get close enough. I let one of my hands run down his chest. He gasped, pushing me away.
"Shit."
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to." I accidentally put my hand against his side.
"You don't know how long I've been waiting to do that." A smile spread across my face. He had liked me. I wasn't crazy.
"Why didn't you do it earlier?"
"It's not very polite."
"Damn you and your gentlemanness." He laughed and it slowly turned into a yawn. I stood up but stopped when he grabbed my arm. He pulled me back to place a small kiss on my lips.
"Goodnight Kellin." He released me. I blew out the lantern that was lit next to the door. I couldn't stop the grin that was on my face. I finally kissed him.
"Goodnight Vic."
♠ ♠ ♠
Damn school. Sorry about the long waits lately. I love you guys. Minaggem! -Nikkie