Status: in progress

From Russia with Love

Nice to Meet You

I don’t know how long I sat in my car in his driveway. It felt like hours as the tears poured. I kept telling myself I was doing the right thing as I stared at his mansion when I left. I tried to erase it from my memory. I didn’t want to remember his pink granite tables or his stainless steel kitchen. I just wanted to forget.

The semester was over for me and I couldn’t be happier. Finals week was filled with buzz about the stupid playoffs and I was tired of hearing it. My friend Marlee begged me to go to a student rush game with her, but I couldn’t bear to. It would be too much, but I just told her I was too busy. It was grad school after all. I spent most nights buried in my books because if my mind wandered it would lead to awkward texts to the last person I wanted to talk to.

He called me at least a hundred times in the week following our blow up. He texted me even more than that. I felt awful. They had just gotten knocked out of the playoffs and he sent “I need you. Please talk to me.” I didn’t. I never said anything back. He finally got the hint and left me alone. It pained me so much but I kept telling myself it was for the best.

I hadn’t had a free summer since high school and when Marlee invited me to spend it with her in Toronto I couldn’t say no. It was only a 5 hour drive and it would get me out of this black and gold painted town. It was worse being able to see posters of his stupid face plastered onto bus stop benches and billboards.

“Your bags packed?” she asked as she pulled up to my apartment on the southside.

I nodded as I dragged my two suitcases down to her SUV.

“You excited girl? She said with her megawatt smile. The warm summer air was whipping her blonde locks all over before she pulled them into a bun and helped me get my things in her car.

“Yeah. I can’t wait to get out of this fucking town.” I mumbled getting in the passengers seat.

“You okay?” She asked with her forehead wrinkle with concern. “Lately it doesn’t sound like you want to stay here after you graduate. “

“I don’t think I do. It’s just really complicated.” I shrugged looking out the window as the skyline disappeared behind a hill.

“Is it because of that Russian guy you were telling me about? I thought you said he was really sweet?” she asked turning the radio down a bit. I wasn’t in the mood to really talk about it, but I figured there was no use keeping it from her. She was my closest friend here.

“I broke up with him. I’m not exactly over it, but I will be by the time the summer is over.” I said forcing a smile.

“Aww I thought things were great, but I’m warning you, Toronto boys are dicks.”

“Yeah? I think I can handle myself.” I smiled.

After a few weeks in the T.O I was shocked to find out that Marlee was quite the socialite. We knew that when we got back to Pittsburgh we would need to do some sort of detox to help our livers out at least a little bit. A month had already gone by and I couldn’t really remember a sober night. We were headed out to some suburb of Toronto for some party with people I didn’t know, the way it usually was.

“Do you think we should bring some alcohol or something?” I said getting dressed. I was wearing a short, black mini dress and red heels.

“Nah, these guys are loaded, I’m sure there will be tons to drink.” She smiled as she came out in her banging emerald corset and black shorts.

Once we got to the party we realized we were way overdressed even though the house was insanely nice but we were the best looking girls there. She introduced me to a few of the people, but I couldn’t remember their names.

On our way to the kitchen to refill our cups one guy did catch my eye. He was tall with long-ish hair and piercing eyes. I told Marlee I’d catch up with her later as I walked towards him. He was standing by himself drinking and checking his phone.

“Waiting for your girlfriend to show up?” I asked standing next to him. He chuckled.

“No, no. Waiting a hot girl like you to approach me.” I couldn’t help but giggle.

“Smooth.” I said sarcastically. “I’m Ali. What’s you’re name?” I asked sticking out my hand.

“James. Nice to meet you.”