Status: in progress

From Russia with Love

It's been so long

I stood at the doorstep uneasy. I hadn’t answered James’ texts even though he was all over me about talking to Geno. At first I was scared. I had already been in Pittsburgh for a week before I built up the courage to go over. I couldn’t decided if I should call or text first or if he’d even be home. What if he didn’t want to see me?

It was familiar, but different in a way I couldn’t put my finger on. Maybe I just felt different about being there. I wrung my hands a bit and wiped the nervous sweat coating my palms on my jeans. I took a deep breath and knocked.

Nothing.

I thought maybe he wasn’t home. He could literally be anywhere. As I turned to leave I heard the door creak open.

“Hello? Who are you?” A blonde-haired blue-eyed girl said in a thick Russian accent. She began to look behind me for someone she recognized.

“Um…nobody. I’m nobody.” I said turning and heading towards my car. It felt like I had someone punch the air from my lungs. I wanted to at least be in my car if I was going to break down. I heard Geno faintly talk to the girl in Russian. I didn’t want to see him anymore though. I couldn’t blame anyone but myself. I was the one who broke up with him.

“Ali!!!” He screamed. I was scared at first. I thought he was mad.

“Ali!” He yelled again pulling me into his arms. I stared blankly with my arms hanging at my sides as the blonde gave me the stink eye.

“I should go.” I said wriggling out of his grip.

“Why? Been so long.” He said cupping my face in his hands.

“I see you’ve moved on.” I said nodding in her direction. I turned my back to him and opened the door.

“No. Is cousin. Natasha. I can’t stop think of you. Please stay. I miss too much.” He said. I looked him over for any slight hint that he was lying, but his eyes were so genuine I felt awful.

“I missed you too.” I whispered. He hugged me again and picked me up. I wrapped my arms around his neck and forced back tears.

“I thought I never see again. I thought you find someone new. I so sorry. My fault.” He said nuzzling his face into my neck.

“It’s not you’re fault babe. Can we go inside?” I asked as he set me down.

“Yes, come.” He smiled widely as he held my hand and dragged me inside.

“Natasha?” I asked holding my hand out.

“Yes, Evgeni is cousin. He tell about you. Very pretty. Sorry. I worry is crazy fan who find house. He lonely so I come, bring kids to play.” She smiled and pointed to her two twin boys in the playpen occupying part of the living room.

“They’re beautiful.” I smiled. Geno quickly led me upstairs so we could have some privacy. I sat on the edge of his bed. He quickly walked tome and kneeled down, placing his head in my lap.

“Geno, what are you—“

“I sorry. Please no leave again. I want you meet team. I want you meet friends. You no secret. I sorry if make feel like secret, like dirty. You perfect. I change. You mean lot to me. You there when I play good. There when I play bad. There when I in town, there when I gone. I love. I always love.”

I couldn’t help but put my head in my hands after hearing his raw, honest, declaration of love to me. I could feel the warm tears streaming down my face, but I didn’t care. I pulled him up so he was sitting next to me and I hugged him tight. I rested my head on his chest and inhaled deeply. I missed the smell of him. I missed everything about him.

“I love you Geno.” I smiled as he wiped away a tear.

“Come.” He said sliding up the bed and under the covers. I got in next to him and he held me. We didn’t even have to say a word to each other. Just being with each other again was enough.