Sequel: Chances Risked

Chances Taken

The Marshall Twins, they were well known throughout the AHL, just at the age of eighteen, they were creating a name for themselves, brother and sister, the duo of trouble on the ice. Born in Massachusetts, raised in Texas, hockey and football was in their lives since the second they were born.

When the Marshall’s found out that they were going to have twins, Mr. Dave Marshall, an old hockey legend once from the Boston Bruins, hoped for two boys, he wanted his sports freaks. Dave played football and hockey, for a year back in his high school years, but found it hard to keep up with so ended up just playing hockey. When he found out that he had a daughter, he wasn’t too happy but accepted it because he at least had one son. Little did he know at the time that he was going to get his way and have two hockey freak children.

They played hockey all throughout their lives, always on the same team, never apart, in 2010, both twins were offered a chance to play for the US Olympic hockey team, the first time they were ever apart, playing for the men and women team, both taking home the Silver medal. They were the odd balls while on the team, never playing in the NHL at the time, only the AHL, and here they were playing in the Olympics.

After the Olympic, the NHL saw what they were capable of and started to make the Maggie and Mike Marshall offers. They played for the Texan Stars for two years, never brought up to Dallas, big mistake there. In 2010, seven teams made an offer, we were free agents, so if we wanted to go, we were going to. Mike and Maggie wanted to stick together and they both chose none other than the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Maggie was a Right Winger while Mike was a Defenseman, the team was a little awkward about having a girl on the team, but quickly got comfortable from seeing her skills first hand. She was fast, Maggie as the speed while Mike had the strength, skills that the Penguins needed to assist their two stars, Crosby and Malkin in winning the Stanley Cup for the second year in a row.

Sadly they didn’t win the cup, they lost in the second round to Montreal. At the end of the season, the day that everyone was cleaning their lockers, Coach Bylsma called Max and Maggie into the office and told them that he was interested in both of them staying for the next season, they signed a two year contract right there.

By the end of the season, Chicago won the cup. At the end of June, it was time for the NHL Awards in Vegas, this was Mike and Maggie’s first year in going to the awards, they ended up being each other’s dates. Maggie won the Rookie of the year award even though she was with the Penguins for only half a season, she impressed everyone.

After the awards, the siblings went their separate ways, only to return together in the middle of July where they went to training camp in Los Angeles, where they trained with players from all different teams. They were there for a month and then traveled back to Pittsburgh towards the end of August to prepare for training camp with the Penguins.