Sequel: Chances Risked

Chances Taken

Chapter Fifteen

-Kris-
“What the hell, Tanger?! You just killed me!” I heard Jordan yell and then saw him turn around looking mad two rows in front of me.

“It wasn’t me!” I said and then pointed towards the frustrated girl next to me.

“Shut up! I never played this before! I don’t know who’s enemy or not!” she yelled and I heard some of the guys laugh.

We were on our short flight to New York to get ready for our game against the Rangers tonight. I was playing on my PSP fighting the guys, something we always did, when Maggie said that she wanted to try, so I let her and tried to explain to her the rules and what to do, she didn’t get it.

“Mags! You hurt the people in blue!” Sidney yelled from the front of the plane and I chuckled because she just attacked Sidney, another teammate.

“Sorry!” she said and I heard some of the guys laughing,.

“Thanks Mags!” Max yelled and she looked at me.

“He’s on the other team?” she asked and I nodded my head, “Shut it, Max!” I laughed as I watched as she threw her arms around with the game as if that would help her fight her opponent. I heard Ben Lovejoy curse and then listened to Maggie cheer, “Suck on that Benny boy!”

Ben looked over towards us annoyed, “What color was I?!”

“Uh, blue,” she said plainly and I shook my head and placed my hand over my face, “Was I wrong again?”

“No, but look out!” Sidney called and I looked at the game and watched as Marc, and enemy, was trying to attack my player.

I snatched the game out of Maggie’s hand as she argued with Ben and tried to fight Marc. I smirked when I beat Marc and listened to him cruse and then flip me off from the front of the plane.

“You guys get too into that game,” Craig Adams said from behind me and I smirked, knowing that he liked to read a book on the plane.

I went to hand the game back to Maggie, but she shook her head, not wanting to play anymore and just looked out the window.

It wasn’t long until we were landing in New York, finding ourselves leaving the airport and taking a bus towards the hotel. I was happy that we were staying overnight because Maggie usually got her own room if she wasn’t with her brother, and Mike wasn’t on the trip because he hurt his shoulder yesterday at practice.

We got to the hotel and Coach handed out the room keys, we all headed for the elevators, Maggie was towards the front, so she was going to get on the elevator first, the first group went on the elevator first, while we had to wait. There were four elevators, so it was only going to take two trips for all of us to be on our floor.

I found that we were on the twelfth floor and when I got off the elevator, I went in search of my room. When I opened the door, I found that I was rooming with Tyler Kennedy, I wasn’t surprised because that’s who I normally roomed with. I walked into the room, threw my bag on the bed that wasn’t claimed and then left in search of Maggie’s room.

I texted her, asking where she was and found her to be at the end of the hall, when I got to her room, I knocked on the door and smiled when she opened it and quickly pulled me inside. I wrapped my arms around her and she pressed her lips against mine. We walked further into the room and I found a king size bed in the middle of the room, she didn’t have to room with someone.

-Maggie-
I groaned as Kris kissed my neck and rubbed my sides, his hands already under my shirt. His lips trailed back to my face and he my cup and then my bruise. I looked at him and saw him giving me a sad look; I sighed and turned my head so that he couldn’t see.

“Why do you hide it from me?” he asked and I turned my eye to look at him.

“Because you give me that look,” I said and then looked at him to see that sad look again when he saw the marks on my face, “That! That look right there,” I said and sat up, making Kris move back.

“I can’t help it, I’m not happy that it happened,” he said and I sighed and shook my head, “What?!”

“Kris, I’m a hockey player, it’s kind of part of our job to get hurt, to fight,” I said and Kris looked at me, “You want to know the reason why I was denied access to the women’s league?” he just looked at me, “I’m too rough for them, I don’t regret getting into a fight with that prick. Yeah, I came out with a cut and a bruise, but so what?”

“Mags-“

“No Kris, I’m going to get hurt in this career, sometimes it’ll be minor like this, sometimes it’ll be a sprained or broken bone, a concussion, or maybe it’ll be major like, well, you know,” I said and Kris sighed, “Kris, I can handle myself on the ice, I don’t need you, Mike or even Deryk to protect me. The more you protect me the more the guys think I’m weak and come after me.”

He looked at me and nodded his head, I gave a small smile, he was finally seeing that I was right. Kris sighed and then pressed his lips against mine and pulled me into his chest; he kissed my forehead and then hugged me.

“I get what you’re saying Mags, I really do, doesn’t mean I need to like it though,” Kris said and I smiled and looked up at him, “I only want to protect you because I care.”

I pushed Kris down and then climbed onto his lap, smiling down at him. I leaned down and pressed my lips against his, pulling back only a little, “I care about you too.”

There was a knock at my door and I sat up and looked at the time, it was almost noon. Kris sat up and kissed my cheek, “Probably telling us about lunch.”

“Probably,” I said as I climbed off of Kris and was about to walk towards the door when Kris grabbed my wrist and pulled me back.

I giggled and as I landed on his lap and looked at him, “This will be finished after the game.”

“You better believe it,” I smiled and then got up, walking towards the door. I opened it to see Geno standing there, “What’s up, G?”

“Lunch,” he said in his thick accent and I nodded my head and looked back towards Kris, who was already walking over. When Geno saw Kris he looked at me and smirked, “Fun time?”

“Shut up,” I muttered as Kris handed me the key and we walked out of the room, following the others that were walking towards the elevator. I didn’t feel like walking and I didn’t mind walking down twelve flights of stairs. Kris followed me and we ended up beating some of the guys that were still waiting for the elevator. We followed Sidney and Chris Kunitz as they walked passed us, heading towards the dining hall.

Lunch was spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread and of course a salad. I sat at the same circular table as Sidney, Geno, Max, Jordan, Marc and Kris; we ate our meals while talking about strategies to beat the Rangers in a few hours. With Mike hurt, we had to change some plans and some lines.

After lunch we headed back up to our rooms where we were going to take our pregame nap, sadly I had to turn Kris away because I knew that if he followed me to my room, I wasn’t going to sleep. Before I laid down for my nap, I called my parents to make sure they made it to the airport all right, because their flight back to Texas was taking off in an hour. I spoke with them for a few minutes and then called Emma, she was going to be staying at my house watching Bella and Jazz since I was away, she told me that Mike was over keeping her company, and then confessed that she was taking care of him.

“Don’t baby him; he’s expected to play on Thursday!” I teased knowing she had me on speaker.

“Shut up, Mags!” Mike yelled and Emma and I laughed, “Good luck tonight!”

“Yeah thanks, you feel better, we’re gunna need you,” I said and smiled.

“Yeah, what would you do without your best defender,” he bragged and I rolled my eyes.

“What would we do?” I rolled my eyes and then smiled, “How was your interview, Em?”

“I think it went really well, Mario was really nice,” Emma said and I smiled, “I think I have a shot at the job- I mean, I know you guys have someone doing the job, but he said he’ll let me know.

“I’m sure you got it, Em,” I said and walked around the room a little, “And if not, then we have the Steelers, Pirates and Bucks to look into.”

“Right,” she said and I laughed as how unenthustic it sounded.

“I know you really want to work with the Penguins, but sometimes-“

“I know, I know, I should just count myself lucky that I’ll have a job, no matter who I’m working for,” she said and I smiled and nodded my head.

“Right, but between you and me, I’ll be hoping that you’ll be working for the Penguins,” I laughed, “It’ll be good to have my girl around a lot.”

“I know right!” she said and I smiled and decided to lay down on the bed and getting ready for my nap.

“All right,” Mike chuckled listening to the conversation since Emma had me on speaker still, “Get some sleep Mags, we’ll be watching the game here.”

“All right, love you guys,” I said and then hung up the phone, rolled onto my side, grabbed a pillow to cuddle with it and then fell asleep for my nap.