Sequel: Chances Risked

Chances Taken

Chapter Five

-Maggie-
Lilly was put down, I was sad about it, but there was nothing that she could have done. Both Stanley and Jazz needed stitches, I paid for both of their vet bills. Mike wasn’t mad at me, he was just sad that we needed to go through that. I ended up have a cleaning crew come in and clean everything up, needed to show them the form that Animal Control left me because the cleaning people almost called the police because they thought I killed someone.

A month had past and we were in the regular season of hockey, Jazz was all right, he was a little lost a first, noticing that Lilly wasn’t there, but he soon adjusted because Mike kept bringing Stanley over a lot. Preseason went well, we won all but one of our six games.

We were four games into the regular season and we weren’t doing too well, only wining one of the four, it was like there was a completely different team on the ice now.

It was Friday, October 15th, 2010, we were in the locker room getting ready for our home game against the Islanders, we needed to win this game. Coach came in and said that it was time for warm ups, I was looking in the mirror that I had placed in my stall, fixing my signature side braid.

“Come on Mags!” Jordan yelled and I smirked and rolled my eyes, putting my hair tie on and then grabbing my gloves and stick.

I never have my helmet on while warming up, a few others don’t either, I don’t know why, we just never thought it was necessary, I thought the only people that really needed to during warm ups were Fluery and our backup goalie, Brent Johnson.

We took our time going on each side of our half of the ice, shooting at the empty net or at one of our goalies. Fans were cheering for us and I smirked when Max and Jordan kept slamming their backs into the glass, in front of two girls that looked like that really wanted some attention from the boys.

I looked over and saw Kris doing some stretches on the ice and nearly fell over, ‘…My god, my ovaries need to take a rest. Damn, is he gorgeous…’

The horn blew and we headed back into the locker room for the fifteen minutes before first period started. While we were in the locker room, I was listening to some of the guys smack talk about the Islanders, I just put my headphones on, blasted my favorite music, anything from Pitbull. This was my ritual, I blasted my music, checked and rechecked all of my gear.

“All right, bitches, put your bets in!” Jordan yelled after Geno tapped my shoulder to get my attention since I had my music so loud that I couldn’t.

“Not this again,” some of the rookies muttered and I laughed, as the marker was passed around the room and each person walked over towards the white board and went to their name.

They put their predictions on the board and whoever hit the mark or was closest at the end of the game, got to pick what music they listened to when they won the game. If there was more than one person, they rock, paper, scissor it out. If we learned anything about each other, we have all different tastes in music. However, when we lose a game, Coach is in charge of the radio and he puts classical on, which drives us all nuts. It was a cute little game that someone came up with after they got tired of fighting over what music was played in the showers and as they got dressed to leave.

“All right Mags, you’re up!” Max said as he passed me the marker and I smirked and walked over towards the board, “What’s your prediction? Did you see your teller today?”

“Shut up, Max,” I laughed and thought about it for a second.

“Tick tock woman!” Jordan yelled and I smiled and opened the cap.

“I say we win in overtime,” I said as I wrote out ‘OT’.

“Final score?” Sidney asked, intrigued that I would go that way.

“Well, the jerk faces have been playing decent lately, so I’m going to go with,” I scrunched my face up, unsure.

“Come on, Mags!”

“All right, all right, three to two!” I said as I wrote the numbers on the board and then threw the marker to Mike, “You’re up, loser.”

“I’m gunna go with Mags on this,” Mike said as he wrote the same thing as me on the board.

“Copy cat!” I laughed and sat back on the bench.

“Naw, I just don’t feel like thinking,” he said and I scoffed, “All right fine! How ‘bout we add something else to this list?”

“I’m all ears,” I smirked.

“How ‘bout we but on who we think will get the winning goal too?” Mike asked and I smirked and looked around to see some of the guys nodding their heads.

“All right, I’m game for that!” Jordan said and then grabbed the marker and went back to the board and to his name, of course putting his own name down.

“Oh, this is gunna get interesting,” I said and Geno nodded his head and smirked.

“You guys are getting way too into this bet, especially if it’s over music,” a rookie said and I laughed and shrugged my shoulders.

-Kris-
“Mags, left, left!” Sidney yelled as we were at the end of the third period and the score was tied two to two.

Maggie had the puck and was coming down the ice, two Islanders behind her, she’s not able to shake them and doesn’t have enough room ahead of her to speed up. She passed the puck to Sidney and it was almost stolen, but Sidney managed to keep it. He took a shot towards the goalie, it bounced off of him and one of the Islanders picked it up and headed towards Johnson. Maggie was next to me, she cursed and skated up ahead, I was right behind her. Someone shot at Johnson and he covered it, there was a crowd around him and Maggie was right in front him along with Geno and Mike, they weren’t afraid to get in anyone’s face.

“Back the fuck up, Moulson,” Maggie barked as Moulson was getting in her face. He said something else and Maggie smirked and then gave him a hard shove that made him land on his ass, he wasn’t prepared for that.

Some of the Islanders were going after Maggie, I jumped right in there, her brother right behind me. Whistles were heard and refs were pulling us off of one another, telling us to either go to the bench or the faceoff circle. I looked at the clock and saw there was five seconds left in the game, I sighed, Maggie was right, we’re going into overtime.

The puck was dropped, Sidney picked it up and passed it to me, I had no one around me and Islanders were coming, so I shot it down the ice. The horn blew and that was the end of the third period, we were going into overtime. We all skated over towards the bench and stood around Coach, he called Mike and I off of the ice and replaced us with Alex Goligoski.

-Maggie-
Five minutes were set on the timer, which was how long the overtime, five minutes to get a goal or risk going into a shootout. Sidney, Geno, Goligoski, and I were on the ice. It was always four on four during regular season overtimes, I was right with my prediction so far, let’s see how well I’m doing, saying that Sidney was going to score the winning goal.

Sidney faced off and lost the puck, I growled as I had to chase after Matt Moulson to get it. He took a shot at Johnson, but it bounced and I scooped up and caught it. I passed it to Geno who passed it to Sidney, we made our way down the ice and Sidney passed it to Goligoski who passed it to Geno. I flew behind the ice just as Geno passed it to Sidney and he passed it to me. It was a beautiful tuck in-between the legs and everyone was happy to hear the horn going off and knowing that it was from the Penguins.

‘…The win that we needed!...’ I thought as I skated over towards Sidney, Geno and Alex. They hugged me and then the team came out and congratulated me as we skated over towards Johnson and patted his helmet telling him job well done.

We went back to the locker room and Coach smiled towards me and patted my helmet, telling me good job.

“All right, all right! We have a tie!” Jordan yelled and I laughed and stood in the middle of the locker room with Mike, “The siblings! Both of you have the score right, but the goal winner wrong.”

“I was so close!” I said and pointed towards Sidney and he laughed and shook his head.

“All right people, release the hands of rock, paper, scissors,” Jordan said so seriously, I couldn’t help but laugh, “Come on Mags, let’s go.”

“All right, all right,” I smirked and shook my head, “Better than thumb wars.”

“This is so stupid,” Mike said and I laughed.

“I’m not letting you put that shitty head banger music on!”

“You put that fuckin’ weirdo Gaga crap on!” he yelled and I stuck my tongue out at him.

“Do you want classical mu-“

“NO!!!” everyone yelled towards Coach and he smirked and shook his head.

“Come on guys,” Sidney said and I sighed and held my hand out.

“Rock, Paper, Scissors, shoot!”

I cheered and held up my arms, “Paper covers rock, baby bro!”

“Bitch you are not older!” he growled and I laughed and ruffled hair.

“Bitch, I came out first,” I said and patted his cheek, “So I’m older!”

“Pick your poison, Mags,” Sidney laughed and held up the computer where we could play the music we wanted to.

“Mr. Pitbull, I am comin’!” I sang and danced a little as I typed in the playlist that I had originally made up and listened to the music coming through, hearing my brother groan in defeat was such a happy sound, “Ooooh-Ooooh Can’t nothing hold me down, I’m gunna touch the sky.”

“Here we go,” Mike muttered and I laughed and flipped him off as I walked over towards my stall and stared to get my gear.

“I hit the jackpot chi-chi-chi-chi-chi-chi-chi-chi-ching,” I sang and bounced to the song.

“I think our little Mags wants to go to Diesels!” Jordan called and I laughed and shrugged my shoulders.

“Sure.”

“No!” Mike yelled and I smirked and nodded my head.

“I’m in Staalsy!”

“Oooooooooh yeah!” he laughed as he wrapped his arm around me, shirtless and in spandex, “Tanger! You comin’, man?”

“You know it!” Kris yelled and I looked over towards him and smiled.

‘…I’m definitely going now…’