Sequel: Chances Risked

Chances Taken

Chapter Fifty Six

-Maggie-
After the game, we took a bus up to Uniondale, New York because we had a game against the Islanders two days from now. We got to our hotel right before midnight and Coach told us that we were going to have an afternoon practice.

I got to my room and texted Kane, knowing that he had a game against the Islanders while we played the Flyers. I found out while changing out of my gear in the locker room that the Islanders lost in overtime to the Blackhawks and I was happy to hear that.

My phone buzzed and I smirked when Kane was calling me, “Yo.”

“You’re here!” he said and I heard guys yelling in the background, which made me laugh.

“Yeah, we’re at our hotel,” I said and then gave him the address.

“You’re right around the block from us! We leave at like nine in the morning,” he said and I smirked, “Come over, we’re bored and playing video games because Coach won’t let us leave.”

“Give me a few minutes,” I laughed and heard him tell the guys I was coming, which made them cheer, “I’ll talk to you soon.”

“All right, we’ll meet you in the lobby,” Kane said and we said bye and hung up.

“Where are you off to?” Mike asked as he and Emma looked cozy on the bed.

“To see the guys, they’re here until the morning,” I said and Emma looked confused, “The Hawks.”

“Oh, did they play the Islanders?” she asked and I nodded my head, “Hey Mags,” I heard as I was about to open the door, “Do you have a second?”

“Um, yeah, what’s up?” I asked as I looked at Emma to see that she had a worried look on her face and Mike wasn’t looking at me, “Em?”

“Remember when you told Mikey about how Kris was zoning out a lot?” she asked and I looked down and nodded my head, “Is he still doing it?”

“Yeah, and he’s been really weird, but, what-“

“I heard him yelling in French on his phone before, when you guys were on the ice, I had to go back for my camera and he was in the locker room yelling at someone,” she said and I sighed, “You know what it means?”

“No,” I said and shook my head, “It’s probably nothing.”

“You sure?” Mike asked and I looked at him, “Come on Mags, we both know that you’re thinking that something is wrong.”

“I don’t really- I don’t want to think about it,” I said and then sighed, “I’ll see you guys later.”

“All right,” they said and I was out the door.

‘…He’s been acting weird ever since we were in Toronto…’ I thought and then walked down the hallway towards his room, I knocked on the door and heard Kris yelling, he was speaking in French, ‘…Who is he talking too…’

“He’s been doing that ever since we got here,” I heard and turned to see Tyler.

“Who’s he talking to?” I asked and Tyler shrugged his shoulders, “Which room is Marc’s?”

“Four doors down,” he said and we walked down four doors and knocked on the door. Marc answered and I grabbed him and drug him to Kris’ room.

“What’s he saying?” I asked and Marc placed his ear to the door and listened. We were all silent and I saw Marc’s eyes widened, “What?” I asked and he shushed me and continued to listen in on the conversation. When the yelling stopped, Marc pulled me towards his room and opened it, I saw Johnson lying on his bed looking at the TV, “So what was that about?”

“Uh, he was just yelling at some guy named Conner, something about being lied to,” Marc said and I looked at him to see that he was not looking at me.

“You’re a horrible liar, Flower,” I said and he looked at me, “What’s going on?”

Marc looked down and then looked at me, “I don’t know, Mags, I didn’t get a lot of the conversation, but he was yelling at someone about being lied to.”

“Some guy named Conner?” I asked and he shrugged his shoulders, “All right, whatever, well I have to go, I’ll see you guys later.”

“Where are you going?” Tyler asked.

“The hawks are still in town and they want to see me before they leave,” I smirked and the guys rolled their eyes, “We’re just friends, geez.”

“Go have fun, Mags,” Marc said and I nodded my head and then headed for the door. I closed it, but stuck my ear to the door.

“So what was that really about?” Tyler asked Marc and I heard him sigh.

“I really hope I heard wrong,” Marc said, “I think Tanger cheated on Mags.”

My eyes widened and I backed away from the door, ‘…What? When? What?!...’ I thought and then shook my head, ‘…No, Flower just heard wrong, Kris would never…’ I thought and then shook my head and headed for the elevator, already running late to see the guys.

-Kane-
“She’s taking her sweet time on getting here,” Jon said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“I think she got lost,” Corey said and I scoffed.

“We’re only around the corner,” I said and we sighed. I heard my phone buzz and saw that Maggie texted me saying that she was downstairs, “She’s here!”

“Whoa, don’t fuckin’ go nuts now,” the guys laughed and I rolled my eyes and headed for the door, “Make sure you use a condom!”

“Shut up!” I yelled and headed for the elevator, telling Maggie that I was on my way. I headed to the lobby and found Maggie sitting by the big fireplace in the front; I smiled brightly and looked at her. I think I took a few seconds to eat in her appearance, the fire made her face light up and I bit back a smile as I stared at her just sitting there waiting for me. I shook my head and needed to remind myself that she had a boyfriend, her teammate was her boyfriend. I took a deep breath and then headed over towards her, “There she is!”

“Hey,” she smiled and stood up and I pulled her in for a big hug, I breathed in her scent and almost wanted to melt at the fact that she smelled like berries.

“You all right?” I asked when I pulled back and saw that she didn’t look so happy.

“Uh, yeah,” she said and looked down and I cupped her chin and made her look at me.

“What’s up?” I asked as I saw that there was sadness in her eyes, “What’s eating you?”

“I need help,” she said and I nodded my head, “You’re a guy,” she said and I laughed.

“Last time I checked,” I said and she smirked.

“Kris has been acting weird lately,” she said and I watched her eyes, “Ever since Toronto in October, he’s been zoning out a lot and then today he was yelling at someone on the phone in French, I got Marc to listen in and he said it was nothing, but when I left the room I heard Marc say that he things that Kris cheated on me.”

I looked at her and processed what she just told me, “What do you think is going on?”

“I don’t know, he’s been off lately, I noticed since Thanksgiving he’s like afraid to be around me,” she said and I looked down, “I want to hope that he didn’t, but- I don’t know.”

“I’m sure it’s nothing, Mags, the guys like in love with you,” I said and looked at her face to see that she was trying to eat my words in, “Mags, you’re talking to the king of manwhores.”

She giggled and I was happy to see her smile, “I’m not sure if that’s something to be bragging about, Pattie,” Maggie said and then patted my cheek and then hugged me, “Thanks.”

“Like I said last time,” I said and looked at her, “Anytime.”

“I’m guessing the guys are waiting?” she asked and I smirked and nodded my head and then took her hand and headed for the elevator. We were on the elevator and I felt Maggie wrap her arms around my chest and lay her head on my shoulder, “You’re a good friend, Pattie.”

‘…Fuckin’ friendzoned…’ I thought and then smiled towards her and wrapped my arm around her shoulder and waited until we got to our floor, ‘...Did Letang really cheat on Maggie?...’

We got to our floor and we walked out and headed to my room, I opened the door and smirked when the guys saw Maggie and all jumped up to attack her.

“That was fast Kaner! Get it done already?!” the guys asked and I glared at him as I saw a confused look on Maggie’s face.

“Fuck off!”