Behave

six

“What?”
“Come here,” Heath repeats.
Things pop into my head. My imagination goes wild on me.
Like what Cobalt meant when he told Heath to enjoy himself and Roxy saying our purpose is to be the men’s sluts.
This all insinuates dirty things happening that I don’t want.
I knew something like this was bound to come, but I dreaded the thought of it.
I don’t want this to be my life. But Heath’s glare tells me I don’t have a choice.
“No,” I stagger, “I’m not doing anything you say.”
I refuse to be anyone’s slut… or at least without a fight.
Heath’s brows lower, darkening his eyes, but his lips smirk.
“If you don’t come, I’ll just come get you. Either way, I’ll have my way,” he tells me.
As if fear isn’t enough, he crushes my hope. I stand still, cursing in my head. I want to break down and cry and plead, but I can’t let him see me as weak. I bet those other girls would already be on their knees. But I can’t. I can’t give up. I can’t give into this. I still have a future if I can ever get myself out of this mess.
Heath takes a step forward. I put my arms up as defense.
“Don’t! Don’t come any closer,” I mumble.
“What? You going to fight me?” he grins, walking right up to me.
“Don’t touch me! Leave me alone!” I shout.
He takes me by the arms, picking me up from the ground. I struggle to break free as I kick my legs in the air. He throws me on the bed and I bounce a few times. Just before I can attempt to sit up, he pins me down. He presses his lips on mine. The sudden contact makes me squeal and I start punching his chest with my scrawny fists. I try jabbing my knees in his ribs, but he pushes them to the sides, steadying himself between my thighs. I bite on his lip, making him pull back. I pant, staring at him stare at me. He leans in again and kisses me harder. The moment his tongue intrudes, I lift my hand and smack him across his face. He scowls and glares in my eyes. With one swift movement, he grabs my wrists and raises them above my head. He then lowers himself, pressing his body on mine, making me suffer under his weight.
“Stop it!” I begin to plead, feeling embarrassed.
Suddenly, Heath’s hand slips into my pants. I gasp sharply. He presses on me like I’m a button.
Heath whispers in my ear, “You’re not going to want me to, sweet cheeks.”
My chest starts heaving, my jaw clenches, and my body tenses at the sensation of his touch. Heath leaves me no time to think or recover. His lips interrupt my breathing, kissing me harshly. His hot lips, his rough hands… it’s driving me mad. Thoughts race through my mind, carrying me away. I surprise myself. I let my lips motion with his. He works his way past the surface, pushing in me. At every stride he does, I huff air out my lungs, my body shuddering beneath him. He thrusts deeper without my consent, making my hips buck. Moans escape me. My limbs become useless and forget how to protest against Heath.
“You like that, huh?” Heath murmurs over my lips.
Why, why, why is he doing this to me?
“Mm,” I breathe.
“You’re wet.”
Heath marks my neck with his scorching lips, rapidly stroking me with his fingers. I inhale and exhale, desperate for air. He’s burning me up. It’s getting me light-headed. I’ve never felt this before…
Then he uses three.
“Ah!” I jolt.
He just smirks in my neck. He gets up off of me and pulls his hands from me. I look away, feeling more than embarrassed. I cover my mouth with my hand, mentally beating myself up for enjoying a second of it. Then I look at him.
“That was just a tease, sweet cheeks. Don’t get all worked up,” Heath keeps his smirk fresh on his face.
I feel so disgusted… or I don’t know how to feel. Heath stretches and casually walks out the room, leaving me to replay it all in my head.

The next day, I spend the day with Roxy. She comes by the house, handing me clothes to wear. Heath is gone ‘working’.
“The boys have a big customer. He usually markets drugs with them. So, they won’t be back until late,” Roxy explains.
“I’ll leave them,” I say, “I’m going to find a way to get out of here.”
“They’ll find you.”
Roxy sits and lights a smoke.
“I’ll call the police,” I say, determined to flee.
She shakes her head, “You need to understand this. 22 states’ police forces are corrupted with the Brag. Most are even part of it. So, once you’re in, there’s no out.”
I sigh and walk over to a telephone sitting near the kitchen. I dial my mom’s number. Now that I’m not being watched, I can make an escape. It rings a few times. Instead of hearing my mother’s voice, the operator comes on.
“The number you are trying to reach is out of service. Press 1 to—”
I crash the phone back on the hook. No, no, no. Roxy’s wrong.
“You won’t give up, will you?” Roxy says pitifully.
I turn and glare at her. She shakes her blond hair and stand up. She takes out a pair of car keys and dangles it to me.
“I’ll prove it to you.”

We drive on the highway back to Somerville. I have to say I’m pretty grateful.
“Thanks,” I tell her for the fifth time.
“Don’t thank me.”
“Why are you so sure your parents sold you to the Brag? Parents can’t do that.”
She lowers the windows and throws her cigarette out the window.
“It’s almost two years now,” she says, “I was on my way to Uni. But, my father, long ago, had a gambling addiction. He went to a casino and the men from the Brag were there. They gambled with him, throwing big bets. As big as millions. Of course my dad lost every penny to them. He even owed them more money. He told them he’d pay them back soon. He didn’t do it soon enough. It broke my family when we went bankrupt. We were in so much debt. I had to quit school and work. My employer was affiliated with the Brag, so he made a deal with my dad, saying he’ll convince the Brag to drop all charges. The fucktard sold me off in seconds. I was right there.”
“I’m sorry…”
She laughs, “Don’t be. It’s not like the Brag would let go of millions of dollars just for a flimsy girl like me. They shot him dead just days after. I’m glad they did. I didn’t want him to breathe another breath of air after what he did to me.”
“What about other family members? Couldn’t you have escaped and live with them?” I ask.
“Like I said. Once you’re in, there’s no out.”