Commando

Commando Chapter 4

Commando Chapter 4-
I woke up to Tasha shaking my shoulder. I looked around to find girls getting dressed and heading down the stairs. I hopped up and pulled a black and white striped tank top over my head with black shorts and combat boots and ran down the stairs trying to catch up to everyone else. The mess hall was filled with Commando initiates eating and talking. Tasha wouldn’t look me in the eye but talked to me. We got in line and waited for the people in front of us to get their food. When it was our turn there was eggs, toast, and fruits. I grabbed a little bit of everything and some water and sat down next to Tasha. We sat in silence eating our food before I finally spoke up, “She didn’t know Tasha. She actually cried.”
“What do you mean Layla?” Her face was full of curiosity but sadness.
“I mean she didn’t know he was married or had kids. He lied to her and broke her heart. I feel kind of bad for her. It wasn’t her fault.” Tasha thought on this.
“So your dad lied to her?”
I nodded, “Yeah. I heard someone come into the house and I looked into the living room and saw them. I was so scared!” Tasha hugged me and after we pulled apart our conversations went to more joyous thoughts. I told her about Jason and about our childhood and she told me about hers. When our food was gone we dumped our plates into the incinerator and went to training. Today was our first day and I didn’t know what to expect. Tasha was definitely scared. When we got there; kids were standing in a line. I stood next to Tasha and saw Reece come in. He looked at all of us with a sort of calculating look and said, “Alright. Today you are going to learn how to shoot a gun and throw knives. I will be demonstrating the knife throwing. Would anyone like to volunteer?” I looked around me and saw no one step up. So I walked forward. Tasha grabbed my arm and hissed, “What are you doing?!” I brushed her off and walked forward. “You are going to let a Centurion out do you all? Fine. Layla, stand in front of the target.” He said. I walked forward and stood in the center of the target and looked at him with a glare that said, “Just do it. I know you can.” He nodded at me and held up the knives. He kept his legs apart and made his body straight and narrow. Then he pointed the knife at the target, swung back and the knife hit the target behind me. Tasha let out a scream and her hands flew up to her mouth. I looked at Reece and nodded. He did the same thing and threw the knife where it landed five inches away from my head. Tasha had managed not to make a noise this time and Reece took his last knife and aimed again. This time, the blade scraped the side of my neck and a trickle of blood streamed down my neck. I walked forward and looked at the target. Then I looked at the knife that hit me and saw blood and a bit of skin on the blade. I took one look at Reece and stepped back into line not bothering to touch the bloody skin on my neck. He looked at me in shock, shock that said, “She didn’t flinch. Not once.” I knew he did that on purpose. But the thing he didn’t expect was the fact that I was tougher then I looked.
Finally out of his daze he pointed at the gun rack and said, “Half of you will learn to shoot, half of you will learn to throw knives. Go.” I walked towards the knives but he stopped me and lead me outside. He looked around the hall and finally looked at me. “What was that Reece?!” I exclaimed. He smirked, “That was me showing you not to get to arrogant and cocky Layla. You already think you are better than anyone else.”
“No I don’t Reece. That’s not what I think. I came here to fight for the cities. I didn’t come here to show everyone how awesome I am. I’m not an awesome person Reece. Don’t think for one second that I’m trying to put anyone down. I’m showing them not to be afraid. I’m done with being afraid. I’ve been through a lot of crap Reece and I didn’t come here for my mentor to give me more of it.” I yelled. I punched him in the gut but it looked like I did barely any damage. He just looked really mad. He took my hands in one hand holding them together and dragged me back inside and set me up in front of a target. The boy who was throwing his knives at the target stared at Reece like he was a mad man and Reece barked, “Throw your knives! Don’t just stand there! You might as well learn how to aim at a person! Well? Get to it!” The kid looked at me and said, “Sorry.” I shrugged and he threw his knife which hit me right in the leg. I clenched my teeth and kept myself upright. The kid looked at the knife wound with pain and looked at his knife and shook his head. Reece looked at him expectantly and the kid aimed his knife and it hit me in the arm. I winced but kept still. Reece nodded and looked back at the kid. The boy threw his last knife and it hit the board inches away from my face. I pulled the knives out of my leg and arm and limped over to the kid, “What’s your name?”
“Michael. You?”
“Layla. Sorry you had to do that.”
“I’m sorry that I hit you! I can’t believe I hit you in the leg and arm! I’m so sorry!” He cried.
I laughed, “Don’t worry about it Michael. That wasn’t so bad. But I’m afraid that I’m going to have to go get all this bandaged up.” Reece looked at me and shook his head, “You can’t leave until you atleast shoot a gun and throw knives.” I shrugged and grabbed a gun. Michael watched me this whole time while I pointed at the target and positioned myself just like Reece had when he had aimed with the knives. I shot and was jerked back a little bit by the kick back. But when I looked at the target I had hit a perfect bulls eye. I looked at Reece and smirked when I saw his eyes as big as saucers when he saw my shot. Michael handed me his knives and I aimed and threw the knives one by one all in different parts of the target. At that I limped out of the room to the clinic.