Sequel: Best Friends for Life

Best Friends...Forever?

Avoidance

Social Studies class was probably the most boring it’s been all year. Since Hunter and I were avoiding talking to one another. I had to go the whole class without one of his witty remark. I realized that Hunter was probably the only thing that kept me awake during that class because I found myself bored out of my mind and zoning.

Lunch came around eventually. I bought my lunch then sat down across from Hunter and Cody. The whole lunch Hunter and I didn’t say a word to each other. We barely looked in each other’s direction. Cody seemed to notice this for he said,

“What’s up with you two?”

“Nothing,” Hunter and I said at the same time.

“Really because you guys haven’t said one word to each other this whole time.”

“Really,” I said.

“What did you do, Hunter?” Cody asked.

“Why do you assume that I did something?” Hunter questioned, sounding slightly offended.

“You don’t have the greatest history,” Cody said smirking.

“Yeah, I know,” Hunter said smirking back.

The rest of lunch Hunter and I still didn’t talk to each other. Cody didn’t bring the subject up again. He and Hunter talked to each other for the most part.

I was replaying that night in my head. The ball dropping. Hunter moving closer to me. Me moving closer to Hunter. Our lips connecting. Soft and gentle. Mesmerizing. Falling into a peaceful sleep next to him. The bell shattered my daydreaming. I went to my last class and walked home alone.

The next day was pretty much the same. I woke up and called Hunter. We walked in silence to school and met up with Cody and Susie, who were again kissing on the steps and talking.
At lunch it was just me and Susie. Which might have been a good thing except Susie wouldn’t stop talking about Hunter and me. It started to annoy me, a little bit.

“Have you talked to him yet?” Susie asked. I knew she was talking about Hunter.

“No, we’ve been ignoring each other,” I answered.

“Why don’t you just talk to him?” Susie just didn’t understand.

So I explained myself to her. “He obviously doesn’t like me if he isn’t talking to me. About it or anything else. I’m not going to be the one to bring the night up and ruin our friendship.”

“Because your friendship is doing sooo good with you two not talking to each other,” she mumbled taking a bit of her sandwich.

“Susie,” I whined. “Do we have to keep talking about this?”

“Yeah, we do. I only want you to be happy,” she said. Susie was a good friend.

“I appreciate that. A lot. But I don’t want to keep talking about this.”

“You should talk to Hunter.”

“Yeah I know,” I mumbled.

“I’ll stop talking about it if you answer this one question,” she said.

Anything to get her to stop. “Okay.”

“You can’t say you don’t know. It’s either yes or no. Got it?” She said sternly.

“Okay,” I replied reluctantly.

“Do you like Hunter, as more than a friend?” She waited for my answer.

“I don’t kn….” I stopped with the glare she was giving me.

“Yes or No?”

I sighed. I thought about it. It’s all I’ve been thinking about, being all alone every day. I never stopped to think of Hunter as more than a friend but now that I had did I really like him more than a friend? He was hot yeah. He made me laugh. He was always there for me when I needed him. But he teased me. He was obnoxious and annoying. He could totally be a jerk and not know it. So I told her my answer, of what I thought of Hunter now after New Year’s.

“Yes, I like Hunter as more than a friend.” It was a relief to get off my chest but I couldn’t believe I had admitted it.

Susie squealed, “I knew it. I knew you liked him. Now you should talk to him and tell him what you told me.”

“I thought you said that after I answered that we wouldn’t talk about it.”

“Fine.” We didn’t bring it up the rest of lunch.

When I got home that day I thought about liking Hunter. I admitted that I liked Hunter but that didn’t mean that he liked me, as more than a friend. He’d gone out with Angela, one of the prettiest, most popular girls in school. He’d said she was hot and I was not. Hunter couldn’t like me as anything other than a friend. It just wasn’t possible.