Sequel: Best Friends for Life

Best Friends...Forever?

Breaking Up

Soon February was upon us. Valentine’s day was coming up and it was the first time I had ever had a boyfriend on it. I wasn’t all that sure if I should get Hunter anything. I always hated Valentine’s day for some reason. It felt weird to buy Hunter some mushy gushy lovey dovey thing. But I thought that I should get him something and it should be something good. The only problem was I had no clue what I could get Hunter that was meaningful but not all gross and lame.

All day long I was thinking of something to buy him. Nothing came to mind though. Something would come to me, I was sure of it.

I was talking to Susie in lunch a couple days before Valentine’s day. “So what are you getting Cody for Valentine’s day?” I was hoping to get some ideas from her.

“I’m just getting him some chocolates and then we’re going out to eat somewhere.”

“Oh, that’s sweet. Where are you guys going?”

“I don’t know Cody said it was a surprise.”

“So romantic, I have no idea what to get Hunter.”

“You still have a few days. I’m sure he’ll love whatever you get him.” He’ll love whatever I get him, now what am I going to get him.
--

Tomorrow, Sunday, was Valentine’s Day and I still had no idea what I wanted to get Hunter.

“I give up!” I shouted to myself in my room. I grabbed a piece of red construction paper, a black marker, and a pair of scissors. I folded the paper in half and cut it into the shape of a heart. I wrote my message to Hunter signing it with my name and tucked it away for safe keeping. If nothing else came into my mind by tomorrow then I would just give him that. It’s the thought that counts right?

My parents left after lunch so I had the house to myself when I heard frantic knocking. I went to the door wondering who it could be. Standing outside my door was a hysterical Susie. I quickly let her in and led her to the couch.

“What’s the matter, Susie?”

“Cody and I… broke up,” she sobbed.

After a moment I said, “Oh. How did it happen?” I wasn’t really good on the whole comforting thing. That was a good question to ask though, right?

“I don’t know. We got into this fight about Valentine’s Day or something and we started yelling. Jessica, it was horrible.”

“I’m sorry. Maybe you guys will make up soon.”

“I hope so. I really miss him and it’s only been a day. I can’t believe I was so stupid.”

“You’re not stupid.” Susie ended up staying over to watch TV when I remembered something.

“Hey, Susie?”

“Yeah.”

“You remember when you and Cody got me and Hunter together.”

“Yeah…” Susie asked unsure of where I was going.

“You said that I owed you...” A smile appeared on Susie’s face and I was happy that I could help her out. “So I’ll talk to Cody and try and get you guys back together.” I finished feeling proud of myself.

“Jessica that would be sooo great. Thank you.” Susie gave me a hug as she continued to say
thank you over and over again.

“No problem.”

Now all I had to do was talk to Cody and hoped that I could get them back together.

After Susie left I went to find Cody. I figured to look at Hunter’s first and that’s where I found him. They were in Hunter’s room playing video games.

“Whatcha doing?” I asked jumping on Hunter’s bed.

“Fishing. What does it look like?” Hunter asked sarcastically.

“Fuck!” Cody threw the controller hallway across the room. I’d never seen Cody that pissed off before especially at video games so I assumed it must have something to do with Susie.

“This games f-ing sucks.”

“This is your favorite game; we play it all the time," Hunter said completely clueless.

“Well maybe we shouldn’t play it anymore. Things change. Feelings change.” Cody replied cooling down and almost looking sad.

There was a total double meaning behind his word. Of course I only knew this because of what Susie told me.

“Sometimes feelings change but if you love something enough, like the video game, then you might take a break from playing it but it’s still your favorite and soon you’ll love it again and get back to playing it.” I was trying to hint about Susie. I’m not sure if I was making any sense though, I was kind of confusing myself.

“Not if you get angry at it and are stupid. It might not take you back… so you can play it again.” Cody’s smart and must have understood what I was getting at.

“I’m sure it will take you back. You just have to apologize. Trust me, I know.”

“You guys know that a video game doesn’t have feelings, right? It’s just a game.” Hunter said confused to what we were talking about.

I just laughed and kissed him on the cheek. “You’re so funny. You know that?”

Still a bit confused he replied with, “I know?”

“Thanks, Jessica. I have to go now.” He got up to leave, “Bye.”

After Cody left Hunter asked me, “What was that all about?”
“Nothing. Cody and Susie just got into a fight and broke up,” I explained to him. “Susie came over to my house and was bawling her eyes out. She was really upset, I hope they work things out.” And few seconds later I added, “I know they will.”

“I hope we never get into a fight and break up.” Hunter said leaning over the top of me on the bed.

“I hope so, too.” Hunter placed his lips onto mine and after a moment pulled away. He smiled down at me and I smiled back up at him. It was a perfect hallmark moment. We stared at each other for what seemed like forever until my cell phone started ringing.

Hunter rolled off of me and to the side as I answered, “Hello?”

“Jessica, you are the BEST friend ever!”

“I’m guessing Cody and you worked things out.”

“Yeah and it’s because of you. Thank you so much.”

“It’s no problem, Susie. It was my pleasure.”

“Well I just wanted to let you know how awesome you are.” I laughed. “You can get back to whatever you were doing with Hunter,” she said mischievously. “Bye.” Then she hung up as I rolled my eyes.

This wouldn’t be the last time Susie called me to tell me that she and Cody were back together. Over the next few years Cody and Susie would have a disagreement and break up a couple times a year. It was always close to some special day, like a holiday, birthday, or anniversary. This time it was near Valentine’s Day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Any and all comments are appreciated. Thanks to everyone who has commented already, your comments make my day.