Sequel: Best Friends for Life

Best Friends...Forever?

Stars in the Sky

We had to wait forever for them to have a table that would fit all of us together at the restaurant. Eventually though we were all seated down together Hunter on my one side and Marisa on my other. The waiter took all of our drink orders and brought us some dinner rolls. Everyone got one.

Everyone started looking at the menu as I made a grab for a roll. I loved dinner rolls more than anything. I already knew what I was going to get just a simple burger. It was taking way too long for everyone to decide what to get. I had already finished my roll and I was still hungry. I knew even after we ordered it would take forever to get our food.

The waiter took our food orders and everyone started in on conversation and I turned to Hunter with the sweetest look I could muster. “Are you going to eat your roll?” I motioned to the uneaten roll on his plate.

“Yeah.”

“Can’t I have it? Please.”

“No, I’m going to eat it.”

“Please, Hunter,” I begged. Marisa decided this was a good time to offer her input.

“Are you seriously asking for his roll? Wasn’t one enough for you?” She had a sneer on her face.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. “Never mind,” I told Hunter. Marisa's attention turned away from us when her father asked her a question. Hunter then ripped his roll in half and gave me half.

“Thank you,” I said.

“You’re welcome,” he replied smiling at me. Our food came quicker than I expected it too which was great.

It was a nice dinner with my family and Hunter.
--

By the time we all got back, Paul had fallen asleep and Uncle Jim had to carry him up to bed.

“Hey, let’s play some pool,” Hunter suggested. Marisa jumped at the chance to hang with Hunter.

“Yeah, that would be great,” she said following like a puppy to the pool table. I followed after them.

“So how are we going to do this?” I asked as we all grabbed sticks.

“I can be on Hunter’s team,” Marisa said. I saw that one coming.

“I was thinking you two should be on one team against me,” Hunter boasted, “because I’m so awesome at pool.”

“Oh yeah. You’re so amazing didn’t I beat you the last time we played.”

“You beat me just that one time. One time. I’ve beaten you a million times.”

“Fine, I’ll be on Marisa’s team,” I relented.

“But I want to be on Hunter’s team. I don’t want to be on the losing team.”

“We’ll switch and next game you can be on Hunter’s team. How does that sound?” I asked trying to appease her.

“Fine,” she huffed. “I want to hit first.” Hunter set the balls up.

“Go ahead and break it,” he said stepping back. Marisa lined up her shot and balls went flying. She luckily got a solid in.

“Nice shot,” I said raising my hand for a high five. She slapped my hand.

“Thanks,” she turned to Hunter, “See you should have wanted me on your team.” She lined up her shot again and missed.

“Watch the master,” Hunter said as he made his shot sinking a striped ball. He lined up his next shot and sunk another shot. “Am I good or what?” he asked.

“You’re not that good.”

“Yeah I am,” he stated looking for his next shot.

“No you’re not,” I argued.

“Yeah I am. Watch.” He took his shot and sunk another striped.

“That’s just luck.”

“Yeah, sure.” He lined up another shot and missed, not sinking anything.

“See.” It was now my turn. I lined up my shot and sunk two balls. Unfortunately one of them was Hunter’s. “Shi—oot. At least I got one in.”

Hunter laughed. “Thanks, Jess.”

“Whatever, take your shot.” Hunter ended up winning but not by much. It all came down to who could sink the eight ball first and he got it. The next game we played with Marisa and Hunter on one team and I actually won but only because Marisa accidentally sunk the eight ball.

After finishing, it was late so we all went to bed. Marisa once again hogged most of the bed and I just couldn’t get to sleep. I got up from the bed careful not to step on Hunter and as quiet as I could left the room. I decided to go sit out on the front porch to look at the stars. I sat down on the porch swing and looked out into the night sky. It was so pretty with the small twinkling stars.

The door opened up and Hunter walked out and came to sit beside me.

“What are you doing out here?” he asked.

“I couldn’t sleep. Marisa hogs the bed,” I explained. “Besides the stars are pretty.” He glanced up at the sky.

“Yeah, they are. But aren’t you cold?” It was a bit chilly at night. It was nice and warm during the day but the temperature had dropped a bit. Nothing too drastic but just enough that I wish I had a light jacket or blanket.

“Maybe a little.” I shrugged.

“Take my hoodie,” Hunter said as he pulled off his hoodie and handed it to me.

“Thanks,” I said as I slipped it on. I leaned my head on his shoulder and he wrapped his arm around my back. We just sat there for a moment both staring at the stars. “This is nice,” I commented.

He nodded. “It is.” His face slowly got closer to me and our lips met sweetly. I smiled as we pulled away. My head rested in the crook of his neck and I kissed it lightly. Then I went and kissed his lips, my hands going to run through his hair pulling him as close to me as I could. He responded happily as our tongues danced together. I was breathing heavy when we pulled away and settled back down. “We should probably get back inside,” he said his hand making motions on my thigh.

“Yeah, we need some sleep.” I really didn’t want to move though. I could stay out here with Hunter forever. But unfortunately it was really late and I did need to get some sleep. Finally we got up and went back inside.

“Goodnight,” I whispered as I got into bed.

“Goodnight.” I fell asleep with Hunter’s smell surrounding me from his hoodie that I continued to wear.