Sequel: Best Friends for Life

Best Friends...Forever?

Moving Out

Spring break was over with and school was unfortunately back in session. I told Susie all about my vacation in California and she told me all about hers. Everything was going good and soon enough the weekend was upon us and I couldn’t have been more relieved. I woke up Saturday morning just like any other morning. I didn’t know that today my life would change forever.

My mother was at work grabbing some files apparently that she had left and I was eating a bowl of cereal when my dad came into the room and stood next to me.

“Hi,” I greeted as I took another bite of my cereal.

“Listen, there’s something I have to tell you,” he said.

“Okay.” I said after I had finished that bite.

“I’m moving out,” he said and I couldn’t believe my ears. I was completely blindsided. What did he just say? He was moving out? He was joking right? My dad always joked around. This had to be a joke. He was kidding.

“Are you joking?” I asked. He was joking he was going to crack a smile and say yeah gotcha, Why would I being moving out? But he didn’t.

“No I’m not joking. I’m moving in with Aunt Lorie.”

This wasn’t right. “Okay.” I said although I wanted to scream and cry, “Why?” Why was he moving in with Aunt Lorie? Did she need help to pay the bills? Was it only temporary? He would be back soon, right? It had to be for like a week or something. I didn’t want to face the obvious. He left me with that and went upstairs. I sat there with my bowl of cereal as tears threatened to spill from my eyes. My throat ached as I tried to keep the tears at bay.

After a moment I silently crept up the stairs and peeked into my parent’s bedroom. My dad had his suitcase out and was packing all of his clothes into it. He went into the master bathroom and I quickly darted into the room. Nothing of his remained. He had packed it all away. I got out of the room and headed to my room as it hit me. He was moving out. He wasn’t coming back because my parents were getting a divorce. That was why he was moving out. It was the only logical explanation but I didn’t want to face that. There had to be another reason right? Why would my parents be getting a divorce? I’d never seen them fight or noticed that anything was wrong. I gained control of my tears and headed back downstairs.

My dad was packing his car when my mom arrived back home. They didn’t speak a word to each other as my dad got ready to head out to Aunt Lorie’s.

“Bye, Jessica.” My dad said pulling me into a hug. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” I replied. I waved as he drove away. I went inside to find my mother.

“He told you, right?” she asked.

“Yeah, I’m going to Hunter’s.”

“Okay, have fun.” I rushed over to Hunter’s. I opened the door and walked in.

“Hey, Jessica,” he greeted happily as I ran over to him and clung to him desperately as the tears started falling. He hugged me tight and took me to the couch. “What’s wrong?”

“My dad…” I sniffled and coughed to clear my throat. “My dad moved out.”

“What?”

I nodded. “I think they’re getting a divorce. Why else would he move out right? But I didn’t notice anything was up. I mean everything seemed fine when we went on vacation right?”

He nodded. “Yeah, wow. I’d never have guessed.”

“I don’t understand. Why did he move out? Why?” I cried.

Hunter rubbed soothing circles on my back. “I know it sucks but it’ll be okay. Okay? I’m here for you when you need me.”

“Thanks,” I replied as I buried my head into his neck and inhaled his scent. I stayed over at Hunter’s until I calmed down. Then he tried distracting me by playing some video games. It worked to keep my mind off it for a bit and it felt good to be frustrated at the game instead of at my parents for a bit.

“This is so weird,” I commented as Hunter turned off his video game console. I was laying down on Hunter’s bed and Hunter turned around from his position on the floor to look at me. “I mean it’s surreal. I can’t fucking believe it.” I shook my head. I fought to keep my tears under control. Hunter climbed up on the bed next to me and we laid face to face. “I had no idea. Does it mean they’re getting a divorce, it has to. All my dad said was I’m moving out. Can you get more vague? Obviously they’re splitting up though,” I ranted yet again, “Will I ever see my dad? How is that going to work?” I questioned still trying to process this.

“You’ll see him. It’ll all work out. Some days you’ll be over there and some days you’ll be with your mom,” Hunter reassured.

“I should probably get back home. It’s going to be so weird without my dad. Just me and my mom.”

I sighed and forced myself off his bed. “I’ll see you later.” Hunter wrapped me up in a hug and pulled me into a kiss.

“It’ll be okay.” I nodded and walked back home.
--

My mind was going a mile a minute thinking about my parents splitting up. I couldn’t get to sleep. I kept tossing and turning. When school finally came back around, I didn’t want to go. I felt so numb as I walked from class to class. I had lunch with the boys and I tried to forget about it and just enjoy their company but Cody noticed that I was being quieter than usual.

“Are you okay?” he asked after the two of them had cracked up and I had barely managed a chuckle.

“Yeah,” I smiled. “I’m fine. Hunter’s just not that funny.” Hunter faked looking offended.

“I’m not funny!” he exclaimed. “I’m fricking hilarious and you know it.” I smiled at him as he scoffed and muttered under his breath, “Calling me not funny.”

“You usually laugh at him anyways,” Cody pointed out.

I shrugged. The subject dropped and soon enough it was off to another class. I wasn’t ready to tell anybody besides Hunter about what was happening with my parents. I wasn’t even completely sure about what was happening. I mean were they just taking a break or was this permanent and going to end with a divorce. I had so little information.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is kind of where this whole story was building to. The whole story is kind of plot-less. It's kind of just following their high school life.
Should I end it after their first year and have an epilogue or should I continue the plot-less story all throughout their high school career? Let me know what you think.
I have plans for a sequel regardless of how long this one goes on.