Sequel: Best Friends for Life

Best Friends...Forever?

Another Dance

“You’ve been acting strange lately,” Susie commented one day at lunch.

“Have I?” I questioned.

“Yeah, what’s up?” she scrunched her face up in concern.

“Nothing.” I shrugged.

“You know you can tell me anything,” she said. “I am your best girlfriend.”

I smiled. “Yeah I know. It’s nothing…” I debated whether or not I should tell her. Finally I decided that I had kept it from her long enough. “My parents split up.” I shrugged. “It’s whatever.”

Susie frowned. “It’s not whatever. It sucks huh?”

“No, seriously. It’s not that big of a deal.” I didn’t need to have a break down. Just thinking about it too much still made me upset.

Susie seemed to see through my lie but she thankfully let it go. “I’m here for you if you need anything. Someone to talk to.”

I gave her a small smile. “Thanks.” She smiled lightly back before it grew into a full out grin as she seemed to remember something.

“Oh Em Gee! We have to go shopping for dresses!” She exclaimed excited.

“What?” I asked completely confused.

“For the spring dance coming up,” Susie explained while I groaned. Not another dance.

“I already went to homecoming I’m not going to another dance this year.”

“Come on you have to,” Susie pouted.

“No I don’t. You can convince poor Cody to go with you but I won’t be going.”

“But this will be the first dance with you and Hunter together as a couple. You two have to go together. You’re so completely cute.”

I scrunched my face in disgust. “Cute? No way. I’m sure Hunter doesn’t want to go to a stupid dance anyways.”

“Please, please, please,” Susie whined. “You’re going. And Hunter’s going with you if I have to threaten him myself.” Susie got an evil glint in her eye and I knew what she was imagining was not good.

“I guess it might not be so bad this time,” I mused.

“Exactly. We’ll plan a day to go shopping for dresses soon.”

“Can’t I just wear the one I already have? Why do I have to buy a whole nother dress that I’ll only wear once?”

Susie sighed exasperated. “I still have so much to teach you. We’re going dress shopping, it’ll be fun.” Then she mumbled, “At least I hope it won’t be like pulling teeth like last time.”

I smiled. That’s what she gets for dragging me shopping. This dance might not be so bad though. The last one Hunter had first told me I was beautiful so who knows what this one held in store.

--
Dress shopping, of course, was just as difficult as last time. Susie complained about my taking forever, I complained about her dragging me there. It was just so much fun…not. We both found dresses though. I told Susie that since this was her idea, she got to convince Hunter to go.

When Hunter and I arrived at school, Susie and Cody were in their same place outside the school.

“Hey Hunter,” Susie greeted. “You’re taking Jessica to the dance next week.”

“Ok.” He shrugged. Ok? That was it. Ok. He wasn’t going to fight it or say dances were stupid and lame or…anything?

I gave him a confused look. “What?” I asked in disbelief.

“What?” Hunter asked confused looking at me. Susie was smirking.

“You’re fine with going to a stupid dance?” I asked.

“Yeah.” He shrugged. “I’m going with you. It won’t be so bad.” He smiled a leaned down to kiss me. I pushed him away.

“We’re at school,” I reminded as I walked away through the front doors. The other three trailed behind me.

“See it was so easy to get Hunter to agree.” Susie said when they caught up to me. “I’m so excited. We all get to go to the dance together. It’s going to be so great!” I smiled. I hoped it would be okay.
--

Before I knew it the dance was upon us. Susie came over to get ready at my house.

“I can’t believe I’m going to another school dance,” I said as Susie helped me put on my makeup.

“It’s going to be fun,” she encouraged. “It’s your first dance with Hunter.”

“Yeah, I guess…”

“It will be trust me. There done.” She had finished my makeup and started doing her own.

“Thanks.” I would be lost without Susie here to help me get ready.

Hunter and Cody came over to pick us up soon after.

Susie and Cody immediately kissed each other as soon as the boys entered my empty house. While Hunter walked over to me his eyes raking down my body making me feel slightly self conscious.

“You’re so beautiful,” he whispered leaning down to my ear.

“You don’t look too bad yourself,” I said as he pulled away and I saw him in a suit.

“I’m damn sexy and you know it,” he joked. “Let’s get going.” He grabbed my hand as we joined Susie and Cody as we headed out the door.

The gym at the school was decorated nicely for the occasion. We found a table to sit at and throw our stuff on. “OMG I love this song. Let’s dance,” Susie exclaimed as soon as we had sat down. Cody agreed and lead her away to the dance floor.

“Do you want to dance?” Hunter asked.

I nodded. “Sure.” After a few fast songs, we were all tired and headed back to our table for a break.

“See isn’t this fun?” Susie asked me as the boys went to go get us something to drink.

I smiled. “Yeah it’s not so bad.” I might have spoken too soon when I saw Brad enter the gym with Angela hanging to his side. Hunter sat down beside me and followed my gaze. His arm pulled me closer to him protectively.

He leaned over to whisper in my ear. “Ignore them. Don’t let him ruin the night.” Fortunately they didn’t come close to us. A slow song came on and Hunter pulled me out on the dance floor to distract me.

It was nice to be here with Hunter. It was an amazing feeling to be wrapped up in Hunter’s arms as we danced to the song, slowly swaying back and forth. I wasn’t thinking about Brad or Angela or anything else but being here with Hunter. I couldn’t help the smile that lit up my face.

The night ended up being pretty amazing. I was glad that I allowed Susie to drag me to this dance.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long... Life and stuff.