Sequel: Best Friends for Life

Best Friends...Forever?

Killing People

I woke up in the morning, took a shower, and had breakfast. At six like I always do I called Hunter. No matter how mad I ever was at him, I always called him in the morning. I was like his alarm clock. We went through the same conversation that we always do and ten minutes later he was coming through my door. He sat on the couch and watched TV while I sat next to him. I had put the thought of Hunter and Angela at the back of my mind. I stared at the TV trying really hard not to remember that Hunter called me ugly, sort of any ways. It was six-forty, almost time for school. I got my school supplies and my lunch money and left. I started walking to school. After a few minutes, Hunter must have realized I was gone. He came out of my house and ran to catch up to me.

“Are you mad at me?” Hunter questioned.

“No. Why would I be mad at you?”

“I don’t know but you seem mad at me.” Hunter thought about it for a second. “Everyone seemed mad at me after lunch. Was it because I stole your lunch money?”

“Yeah. Sure it was because you stole my money but I’m over it now. I’m not mad at you!” I put extra emphasis on ‘I’m not mad at you’ in case he didn’t get it.

We arrived at school and I went right to my class which today happened to be Spanish. It was just my luck that Hunter had to be in this class. I sat in the corner in the back and Hunter sat next to me.
I didn’t talk to him the whole block. When the bell rang I went to gym. I changed into my gym clothes and we started a twelve minute run. I ran and ran thinking about what Hunter said. Thinking about it seemed to help me run faster and longer. After gym I had English. The teacher was so boring I almost fell asleep. Hunter, Cody, and Susie were all in my English class though. Hunter sat next to me while Cody sat behind Hunter and Susie sat behind me.

I had lunch with only Susie today. “No boys this lunch period,” Susie said to me.

“Yeah. I guess that’s good,” I said quietly.

I listened to Susie talk the whole lunch period. She talked about all the cute boys this year and who she already had a crush on. She tried to get me to forget about what Hunter said but for some reason I just couldn’t get the words out of my head. Angela’s hot! Jessica’s not! Sure it was true but
I still couldn’t believe it. I resolved right then that I wouldn’t let it bother me anymore. I would forget what he said, forget it ever happened. The bell rang and I had to go to my study hall.

“You’re good right?” Susie said to me as we were walking out of the cafeteria.

“Yeah I am. I’m just going to forget what he said.”

“Good see you later.”

Cody was in my study hall period and we sat down next to each other. Our study hall teacher got really upset if anyone talked. He just sat up at his desk and read a book. He never watched to see what people were doing except if he heard people talking then he would yell.

About ten minutes into the period Cody handed me a note it said, “Are we okay? I’m sorry about what Hunter said and what I said.”

I wrote back, “Yeah we’re okay. I forgive you. I already forgot what you guys said anyways.”

For the rest of the study hall I finished my homework then stared into space. I was awoken from my space out when the bell rang. I went to my locker and met up with Cody and Hunter outside.

“What are you guys doing now?” I asked them.

“Nothing we were going over to my house to play video games,” Hunter replied.

“What kind of video games?” I wondered.

“You know what kind games like Call of Duty, Halo, and Grand Theft Auto,” Hunter said.

I rolled my eyes and said, “You guys always play those games can’t you ever play a normal game without killing in it.”

“Nope.” Both of them grinned. Video games were kind of fun even though I sucked at them. It really pissed me off when I couldn’t do anything. All the stupid games were the same to me. All you did was try and kill people. What fun is that?

“I take it you aren’t coming over then?” Cody asked.

“No, that’s okay. You two have fun killing people.” Cody and Hunter left as Susie walked up to me.

“Did you just say they were killing people?” Susie asked a little horrified. I couldn’t help but smirk a little.

“They aren’t killing actual people it's in their video games,” I replied.

“Oh boys and their violent video games. You want to go to the mall?” Susie asked.

I thought about it for a minute. “I guess; I have nothing better to do.”

We went to the mall and were sitting in the food court deciding what store to go to first. I honestly could have cared less. I was only here because I had nothing else to do. Of course every guy that walked by our table, Susie had to point out. She’d say things like, “You two would look good together…Look how hot that guy is… Isn’t he cute?” After ten minutes of her pointing out every guy to me she jumped up from the table. I was surprised and got up from the table to follow her.

“Where are you going?” I asked her curious why she just left all of a sudden.

“I just realized you need to buy new clothes?” She hurried into a clothing store.

“I don’t need new clothes?” I said confused.

“Yes you do! If I am going to help you find a guy and if you what to show Hunter he’s wrong, then you need new clothes.”

I frowned. “I told you I didn’t want any drama which includes a boyfriend and I already forgot about what Hunter said.”

“We both know you haven’t totally forgotten about it and you would love to prove him wrong.” She was right. I would love to show Hunter I was hot.

“But he was right.”

“Jessica, stop. We both know he was totally wrong and is a big ass.”

I smiled a bit. “I guess we could get new clothes,” I said reluctantly.

“Good. You always have to make thing so difficult. We could have bought the whole store by now.”

We walked around the store Susie asking me if I liked something and me always shaking my head no. Susie got frustrated at me and no longer asked me. She just got whatever she thought would look nice on me. Susie had bought me a lot of clothes. None were really what I was used to wearing but Susie insisted.

We went back to my house and were sorting through the clothes. Susie helped me put them away.

“You so have to wear one of the outfits I bought you today tomorrow.” Susie was so excited she even went and picked out an outfit for me.

“I don’t know Susie. It’s not really my taste.” I lightly shook my head.

“You have to prove Hunter wrong though.”

“I’ll think about it.” Susie stayed and we talked about school and other things.

“I have to get home for dinner.”

“Okay bye.” Susie went home while I waited on the couch bored.

After a few minutes the phone rang so I got up and answered it.

“Hello?”

“Hi honey, I’m going out with some of my co-workers and your dad is working late.”

“So?” I said with a bit of an attitude.

“So you’re going to have to make your own dinner.”

“Okay,” I said. My parents haven’t been home a lot lately any ways. I was getting used to it.

“I’ll be home late. You will probably have the house to yourself tonight.”

“Okay.”

“Bye.”

“Bye.” I waited for her to hang up then I did the same. I decided to go over to Hunter’s and see what they were doing over there.

I knocked on the door and noticed no cars home, which meant that his parents weren’t home so I let myself in like I normally do. I went up to his room and found him and Cody playing Grand Theft Auto.

“You guys are still playing video games?” I questioned knowing they probably would be anyways.

“Yeah so?” Hunter said. I ignored him.

“Why are you here, Jessica?” Cody asked me.

“My parents aren’t going to be home so I was seeing what Hunter was having for dinner.” I told
them.

“Unfortunately for you my parents are gone to Europe for the next couple weeks. So no good dinners
over here for a while,” Hunter replied.

“Your parents always are gone somewhere,” I said quietly.

“Yeah but yours are too lately,” he said.

I watched them play GTA.

“I thought you didn’t like killing games like these,” Cody questioned me.

“I don’t. I think they are stupid. They are all the same. The only thing I like about this game is shooting people’s heads off. That’s cool,” I explained.

“I thought you didn’t like killing games but you like shooting people’s heads off.” Cody looked at me funny.

I shrugged. “Yeah.” Hunter burst out laughing.

“What’s so funny?” I asked.

“You and the look on Cody’s face.”

After a half hour, I was getting hungry. “Hunter, do you have anything to eat in this house that you don’t have to make?” I asked.

“No I usually just order food. Why don’t you have something at your house?” Hunter said.

“My parents always make the meals, I don’t know where anything is. Can you order a pizza?” I said.

“Yeah man, order a large pepperoni pizza,” Cody said.

I scrunched my face.

“Don’t worry Jessica, I’ll order a large pizza with extra cheese for you too,” Hunter said with a smirk.

“Thank you,” I said, my frown turning into a smile. Hunter ordered a pepperoni and an extra cheese pizza. I sat on the bed as the guys sat on the floor and continued playing their video games. I got bored and left the room to walk around Hunter’s house.

I’ve been to Hunter’s house tons of times. His parents have a lot of money. They live in a normal sized house like mine but his parents always visit different countries all the time. They leave Hunter all alone for months at a time. When he was younger he used to stay at my house so my parents could watch him while his were gone. That’s probably how we became best friends. He was always at my house but as he got older his parents trusted him to be on his own at his house.

I just wandered around the house I knew Hunter wouldn’t mind. I went downstairs and sat in the living room and watched TV. When the doorbell rang, I jumped. I got up to answer the door and yelled to the guys that the pizza was here. I realized that I didn’t have any money to pay for the pizza so I had to wait for Hunter to get down here. I called for the guys again. They finally came and I told Hunter I didn’t have any money.

“I have some somewhere let me think,” he said, “Oh yeah be right back.” Hunter ran upstairs and came back with a wad of cash which he handed to the delivery man taking the pizza from him. Hunter put the pizzas on the counter and we all dove in. Cody grabbed a couple pepperoni slices, I had an extra cheese slice, and Hunter had a slice of both.

After we were done eating Cody had to go home. “Bye guys. I’ll see you tomorrow. Hunter, what are you doing tomorrow after school?” Cody asked as he started to leave.

“I have my date with Angela tomorrow so I can’t hang out with you,” Hunter replied.

“Oh right. Bye.” Cody left and I started feeling bad. Hunter was going out with Angela tomorrow.

“I should leave too,” I said starting to make my way to the door.

“Why are you leaving? Nobody’s going to be home,” Hunter asked.

“I don’t know. I think that I should.”

“We both know you hate to be alone,” Hunter said with a smirk on his face.

“Yeah, maybe I’ll stay.” I reluctantly went back and sat next to Hunter on the couch.

I didn’t want to go home because Hunter was right. I hated to be home alone at night. It freaked me out a bit. So staying at his house for a little bit longer wouldn’t be that big of a deal. We watched TV for a bit.

“Why is there never any good TV shows on?” I asked him trying to hold back my yawn.

“I don’t know,” Hunter said still staring at the TV. We were watching some show and it was stupid. It was getting late and I was starting to doze off. I knew I should go home but my legs wouldn’t move.

Then I fell asleep right there on Hunter’s couch while he was watching TV.