Sequel: Best Friends for Life

Best Friends...Forever?

Finding a Dress

At school Monday I had lunch with Susie. She kept talking about the dance coming up. I wasn’t all that interested because I knew nobody would ask me and I hated to wear dresses. “We have to go pick out dresses, Jessica,” Susie said, “how about this weekend?”

“I don’t really want to go. Nobody will ask me out anyways. Did someone ask you yet?”

“You have to go to the dance. Someone will ask you out. I’m sure of it.” That’s Susie always optimistic.

“So did someone ask you to the dance yet?” I repeated.

“Well… not yet but I’m pretty sure this one guy will.” She told me reluctantly.

“Well who is it?” I was curious.

“It’s actually someone you know. But I’m not sure if he will ask me to the dance.”
I thought about it for a second and things just clicked. OMG. I know who it is. I can’t believe it, well..
I guess I can. “No way,” I said, “It’s Cody isn’t it?” Susie nodded.

“You guys went out last weekend that’s why you both were ‘busy.’ You and Cody.”

Susie again nodded. “Yep, I was hoping that he would ask me to the dance. I had a lot of fun this weekend just hanging out with him.” Susie seemed to be going into another world, probably remembering the time she spent with Cody.

“I’m sure he will ask you to the dance Cody’s a nice guy. You picked a winner.” I told her.

“I know,” she said. The rest of lunch she faded in out of la la land, talking about the dance and Cody.

By the end of lunch I agreed to go dress shopping with her this weekend. I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to go to the dance though.

The next day I had lunch with the guys. Hunter didn’t steal my lunch money. Angela sat at our table next to Hunter and Cody sat next to me. I didn’t like Angela sitting at our table. Nothing of any interest came out of her mouth. She just latched onto Hunter which was disgusting and talked about how cute he was, how they were going to the dance together, and what her dress looked like. After fifteen minutes she kissed Hunter on the lips and went over to sit with her girlfriends. Our table was probably too boring for her. She had no desire to be sitting with us except to be close to Hunter.
After she left I asked Cody about Susie. “So are you going to ask Susie to the dance?” Cody blushed a little. He must really like her.

“I was thinking about it,” he said.

Hunter looked up at Cody with questioning eyes. “You’re going to ask Susie. Since when have you two spent time together?”

I answered for Cody, “Last week end.”

Then talking to Cody I said, “You should ask her to the dance. I know she would like it.”

“I will ask her to the dance after school today.” Cody smiled. The bell rang and we left to our classes.

The next day in lunch Susie was all smiles. “Guess what?” Susie said.

“Yesterday after school Cody asked you to the dance.” I guessed.

“Yeah. How did you know?” Susie asked.

“He told me yesterday in lunch he was going to.”

“I can’t believe I’m going to the dance with Cody,” Susie screamed a bit too loud. Luckily no one paid her much attention.

I shook my head. “You don’t have to be so loud.”

“Sorry. We are still going dress shopping this weekend. Right?” Susie asked.

“Yeah,” I said sulkily.

That weekend Susie’s mom drove us to the mall and we looked around for dresses for the dance. I wasn’t all too excited. I hated dresses and I hated dances. We looked at millions of dresses, of course, I didn’t like anything. Susie found one that she loved. I thought it fit her personality perfectly. It was a pretty golden dress. It made her look like a movie star. I knew I could never look like that in any dress. Susie, as usual when we went shopping, got fed up with me. I just didn’t find anything that looked good.

“Look, Jessica just find a dress that you like. Maybe you like the color or style anything, any little thing you like about it. Try it on. We don’t have all day. My mom will be back soon and I don’t want to have to pick out your dress for you. It should be something you like that shows your personality.”

“Fine,” I grumbled. Then I saw it. The dress I would get just to get Susie off my back.

“I like this one,” I said pointing to the ugliest dress I had seen so far. It was a gray short old lady looking dress.

“You aren’t serious are you?” Susie was worried I actually liked the dress.

“I’m serious.” I pretended to be hurt that Susie didn’t like my dress but I couldn’t contain my laughter any longer and I burst out laughing uncontrollably. “I can’t believe you thought I was serious.” I laughed at Susie.

Susie smiled a little then said, “Come on, we don’t have time for joking around.”

Eventually I found the perfect dress. I grabbed it and tried it on. I walked over to Susie and showed her it. “Susie I think I like this one. Seriously now.”

Susie looked at me and a huge smile spread across her face.

“It’s perfect Jessica, totally you,” Susie said. I was proud that I had picked such a great dress. We paid for the dresses and Susie’s mom drove us to my house. We hung up the dresses. Susie was keeping her dress at my house because she would be helping me get ready over here. She said I didn’t know how to make myself look good but she could make me look like a million bucks which was true.