Sequel: Best Friends for Life

Best Friends...Forever?

Protection

Hunter woke up at six ten in the morning. He found it weird that Jessica had not called him yet. She always called him at six o’ clock in the morning for school even when she was mad at him. He quickly got dressed and went over to Jessica’s house. He ran up to her room and saw her still in bed. He shook her awake. “Jessica wake up we have to go to school.” He noticed she was crying.

“I don’t want to go to school, Hunter. Brad will be there.”

“You have to go, Jessica. I’ll make sure Brad doesn’t come anywhere near you okay.”

I slowly got out of bed and picked out some clothes. Then I went into the bathroom and changed while Hunter made his way downstairs for breakfast. I brushed my hair and put on deodorant, I didn’t have time to take a shower. I knew I had to go to school. I couldn’t act like a chicken for the rest of my life.

After I finished getting ready I went downstairs and poured myself a bowl of cereal. I sat down on the couch beside Hunter who was eating his cereal too. After we were done we headed off to school. Making sure I had my lunch money and school supplies.

“You don’t have classes with Brad right?”

“No just lunch.”

“Okay so I’ll walk with you to Media Arts and then meet you to walk to social studies. Your math class is right by there so that’s good. Then Cody and I will be at lunch with you and gym is just girls so you should be fine for the day after our last class, we will meet up to go home okay?” Hunter had planned the whole day. If I was lucky I wouldn’t have to see Brad at all and I most defiantly wouldn’t be alone with him.

Hunter walked me to Media Arts where I sat down in my usual seat. The project we were doing took my mind off of Brad. I was developing my film. It was already in a developing tank and now I had to put certain chemical in it for it to develop.

When the bell rang Hunter caught up to me and we walked to social studies. Brad was long forgotten as I listened to Hunter joke around all through class.

I went to math and then lunch came around. I had gotten my food and was sitting at the table with Hunter and Cody. Hunter sat next to me instead of next to Cody, while Cody sat across from us. Cody must have found that strange but he must have thought it even stranger when Brad walked by and I clung to Hunter like a frightened little girl. I was scared when Brad came by so I scooted closer to Hunter and clung to him. Luckily though Brad just walked by but he walked right to Angela’s table. It shocked me just a bit since Brad usually sat with his guy friends but those were the type of girls that he would go for.

He sat right next to Angela, really close. Angela didn’t seem to mind, she just looked at him with a smile. I hoped Hunter didn’t see this. Weren’t they still going out? Unfortunately, Hunter did see them and when we left the cafeteria, we also happened to see Angela and Brad kissing before they parted their separate ways to classes. Hunter didn’t looked surprised or hurt, mostly indifferent, but I knew it had to hurt him just a little.

The day went by slowly but finally the last bell rang and I met up with Hunter and we walked home. I said bye to Hunter as I walked into my house and grabbed a snack turning on the TV.

After Hunter walked Jessica home he ran back to the school hoping to catch Angela. He had to talk to her. What was she doing kissing Brad when they were still together? And she was kissing Brad, the guy who had almost beaten Jessica. Hunter caught Angela as she was walking out of the school. “We need to talk,” Hunter said pulling her to the side of the building.

“What would you like to talk about?” Angela asked in a bored tone.

“What are you doing kissing Brad?”

“That’s none of your business.”

“You’re right it’s not because we aren’t going out any more but you should know he’s not a good guy to be around.” Hunter felt he had to warn her.

“Oh really, did Jessica tell you that?”

“He didn’t treat her well and he probably won’t treat you well.”

Angela laughed. “Ha, he dumped her and treated her bad because she’s ugly and pathetic. He would never treat me like that.”

“She’s not ugly or pathetic but fine go out with him but don’t say I didn’t warn you.” Hunter left Angela to go back home. He told her not to be with Brad. It was her own fault if she got hurt. Angela really was a horrible person. How could anyone think that Jessica was ugly and pathetic? Well, hadn’t he once thought that Jessica wasn’t hot though?

He got home and went up to his room, thinking about Jessica the whole time. She was stuck on his mind.

The next morning I called Hunter and we had our usual conversation about me waking him up and he was over to my house in ten minutes.

We watched TV, ate breakfast, and then headed off to school. Hunter continued to make sure I didn’t run into Brad. We walked to Spanish together where we paired up for a game
we were playing. Then he walked me down the hall to Physics and went to his class. Then I had lunch with Susie. Brad was in this lunch too. He was sitting far away from me which I was happy for.

Susie seemed to see my nervous glances at Brad because she asked me, “You and Brad broke up huh?”

I realized that I never told her or anybody about what happened. They still thought we were going out. “Yeah. We broke up.”

“What happened?” She asked. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to tell her but I figured it would be okay. She wouldn’t tell anyone. She had a big mouth but she knew when to keep something a secret.

“He wasn’t all that great to me.” I brought my voice down to a whisper so people around us couldn’t here. “He was real mad when I broke it off and would have done some real damage to me if Hunter hadn’t of been there.”

Susie looked shocked and she whispered back. “You mean he almost hurt you and Hunter saved you.”

I nodded my head.

“That’s sweet.” I looked at Susie confused. She thought that was sweet.

“You think almost getting beaten is sweet.”

“No, I think what Hunter did was sweet.”

“Yeah, I guess it was. He even stayed the night to make sure I was okay.”

It was really sweet of Hunter to do that.

“You and Hunter would be so cute together.”

“No way. We wouldn’t be cute together. We’re just friends; we will never be anything more.” Susie gave me a look, rolled her eyes and we were off the subject. Instead we talked about winter break. In all of the drama, I had forgotten that today was the last day before break. It hadn’t snowed yet, which was strange for this time of year.

“I’m going to North Carolina to spend Christmas with my family. Then we are going to drive back but stop in Pennsylvania to spend New Year’s with my parent’s friends.” Susie explained her vacation plans.

“That’s cool.”

“Yeah but I’m going to miss you and Cody,” Susie said.

“Are you and Cody doing good?” I had totally forgotten they were going out.

“Yeah. He is so great.” She had a huge genuine smile on her face as she said this. “What are
you doing for break?”

“Nothing. My relatives are coming to my house for Christmas and New Year’s is nothing special. I’ll probably spend it at Hunter’s like I usually do.”

We talked about what we wanted for Christmas and we promised to call each other on Christmas and New Year’s. Then the bell rang and the rest of the day seemed to fly by for me. I met up with Susie, Cody, and Hunter. I said bye to Cody and Susie as me and Hunter walked home.

“What are you doing for Christmas?” I asked Hunter as we were walking.

“My parents were supposed to come home but they couldn’t get a flight back in time so they are staying with friends over there. They couldn’t find a flight for me to join them either.”

“You’re coming over to my house then right?” I felt bad Hunter’s parents were never home.
It wasn’t unusual for him to be at my house for holidays.

“Yeah, and you will be at my house for New Year’s right?”

“Yep!”

We arrived at our house and said good bye.