Party Bash

Chapter 1

Last year I turned 18, but what I didn’t realise was that this would be one memorable 18th, but not in the good way.

It all started at my 18th birthday party; I had my mates over and my parents had just gotten me my first car, it was an awesome Holden commodore 1990 model.

Ryan and I were drinking and we started arguing over who’s car was the fastest, my Holden Commodore with V8 or his Holden Ute with Turbo.
After a while, we had decided to finish this with a race; up the street and around the block, first one back wins.
By this time, I’d had about four Victoria Bitters and Ryan seven Victoria Bitters and two Bourbon Cola.

As we were getting ready, out mates decided to get in on the action, same as our girlfriends Lauren and Stephanie. Liam and Lauren went in Ryan’s car and Frank and Stephanie in mine. The rest of the crowd gathered in the street.

***

We were off! Remembering that my entire party in the streets watching, I HAD to win, after all, it was MY 18th, right? I would hate to loose.
I was way ahead with my V8 engine, ready to rock and roll, but we were coming to the corner way too fast and I know I would have to slow down a bit to make it round. Out of know where Ryan came flying past with his turbo. Around the corner he flew! I knew if I was going to win I had to pull something impressive like that. Up a head was a streetlight which I guess I saw out of the corner of my eye, but didn’t take much notice of it.

As I sped up, I caught Ryan and it was neck to neck Ryan’s car started to swerve, swaying to the music I presumed because it was up so loud, I could hear it blaring into my car. Than all of a sudden, Ryan lost control of his car and he managed to shorten my car and knock us wild.
We were spinning out of control; the last thing I remember was the sound of Stephanie’s ear piercing scream, than it all went black.

* * *

I guess you could say I learnt my lesson that day. I gained consciousness on what seem like the sidewalk with Steve, a paramedic looking over me making sure I was okay,
“What’s your name son?”

“Damo”

“Well Damo, I’d like you to take some deep breaths and tell me where it hurts.”

“My-my chest hurt, sir. My head is aching. And I-I-I can’t feel my legs!”

I than went for a ride in the ambulance to the hospital and I lost consciousness. I woke up in hospital some hours later with the once thing on my mind; Stephanie. The doctor can in and told me what had happened and that I had broken several ribs had mild concussion and shattered my right leg. I was lucky to be alive.
“Doctor, but what about the others, Stephanie and Frank?”

“I’m sorry to say this, but they didn’t make it, like I said you are lucky to be alive. The way the streetlight landed on your car.”
I couldn’t believe it, not only had I smashed my new car that my parents had spent a fortune on, but I had lost my girlfriend and my best mate.
“They died instantly. I’m sorry.”

***

I was in hospital for about a month, recovering. In that time, I had a few visitors, the police, Ryan, Lauren, Liam and my family. Lauren and Liam said they were sorry and wished that this had never happened. But what was done was done.
When Ryan came in I wanted to kill him. If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t be in this mess and they would still be alive. I would have done anything to bring my Stephanie back, anything.
“Why did you come, what GUTS you have showing up here!”

“I’m sorry mate, I really am.”

“Don’t you sorry me! If you stopped drinking just for a second the THINK, we wouldn’t be IN this mess. I HATE YOU! Get out! GET OUT!”

What I hadn’t done was look at things through Ryan’s eyes. He was at a mates party totally pissed. He thought, -and maybe he was right- that his car was faster than mine. He manages to convince me to drag race with him around the block and the first one back wins. It was his lousy driving that made him loose control of his car and smash into mine. And as a result to his stupidity, caused my car to spin and collide with a streetlight which killed two people and injured another.
The one thing that Ryan did right that night was stay at the scene.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was a story i had to write fo Drivers Ed at school...