Blissful Ignorance

Blissful Ignorance

The screams grow louder, echoing inside her room. The broken door didn't help of course. She sat in her room, trying to figure out what to do. She was nearing her last resort. There was no one to talk to, nowhere she could go, she had no escape. She gently moved off the bed as if she'd disturb her parents from arguing. She walked over near a basket and grabbed a small yellow box. She anxiously took the top off the box and found what she needed. Sleeping pills.

She didn't like to use sleeping pills a lot, afraid she'd become more dependent on them than she already was. She grabbed the bottle containing her miracle and screwed the top off. She shook two pills out of the bottle into her hand. She slipped them into her pocket and put the pill bottle and box where they belonged.

She glanced around her room for something to drink, she still couldn't bring herself to take them dry. The arguing continued as she walked out of her room past the broken door and into the hallway. She opened the bathroom/laundry room door. As she went to the sink she stared at her reflection. A look of hopelessness had taken over. This wasn't new for her though. All her energy was drained now. She was dying in this war zone.

She put the pills in her mouth longing for the peace they'd bring her. She turned the cold water on and cupped her hands under the faucet. She brought the water to her mouth and swallowed the pills.

She looked in the mirror once more. She still looked depressed but at least now she had a way out. Temporarily. She returned to her room and laid on her bed. She found her mp3 player next to her pillow and put the connected earbuds in her ears. She laid down and waited for the pills to take over as the music blocked out the yells. It was the perfect combination. Sleeping pills and music. Both of them worked as a shield from the ongoing battle throughout her house. They gave her a peace that she looked for.

The sleeping pills were good because after they kicked in, if she woke up, she'd be too tired to worry about what was happening. The music blocked out all of the noise so she wouldn't have a clue. Together they saved her. She was bathed in blissful ignorance as she left.