‹ Prequel: Pain
Sequel: Lily
Status: Drabble/Complete/Finished

Wrong

Was our Love Really Wrong? 1/1

Image

While racing through the streets of London, I pushed my way up the street. The wind picked up as the crowd grew denser and large droplets of rain started to fall from the sky. My frantic gray eyes locked on the steeple of the church in the distance where she was.

Quickening my pace, I raced through an opening in the crowd and snaked my way onto the bricked walkway that led up to the doors. I noticed a few somewhat familiar faces standing on the elevated grassy area, under the giant tree and scattered umbrellas as I walked around. I bolted in between the elevated lawn and the front façade of the church.

Slipping on the wet stone around the corner, I spotted the door and was just about to move towards it when it opened and my mother stepped out in a soft, knee length lavender dress. Moving back so I was hidden behind the corner, I waited until she went back into the church, and then continued towards the door.

Inching it open slowly, I scanned the hall before stepping inside and quickly walking towards the door at the end. When I moved over to it, I slowly turned the handle. Opening the door just enough so I could slip in. I closed it as quietly as I could and turned the lock.

I could hear the sound of heels moving back and forth on the stone floor and made my way over to a large screen set up in the middle of the room. Just before I reached it, my foot caught the leg of a chair, causing it to topple to the ground. When I turned around, my grey eyes met her brown ones as I stood slowly and licked my dry lips. Glancing around frantically, she backed up a few steps. “Why are you here?”

I let out a ragged breath before finally taking in her entire appearance. Milena stood before me in a sugar wedding dress that flowed over her body perfectly. My eyes roamed over her flawless face, accentuated with very little makeup and the fact that her hair was hanging down with only two small sections from the sides pulled back. She was the woman whom I loved more than anything, but her eyes told me that she would prefer to be anywhere but in that room with me.

I locked gazes with her before I started speaking. “Why are you letting them do that to us? How can you marry a man you don’t love just because the people around us think we are not good for each other? I know your parents think I’m not good for you because I am eighteen and you are already twenty-two but I love you more than any other human being could ever love you, and I know for a fact that you love me too, so why are you tormenting us both like this?’’

Upon hearing the words leaving my mouth, she lowered her gaze to the floor, looking at anywhere but my face. I went right in front of her and held her chin up, making her look at me before I said, ‘’you love me. I know you do so don’t marry him. Run away with me.”

“I can’t,’’ She whispered.

“Why? Just tell me why.” I grasped her hands and pulled them to my lips, kissing them with fervor. A tear escaped my eye. “I can’t lose you forever. I just can’t.”

“I’m sorry.” She said and she pulled her hands away from mine. Holding my face in her hands, she gave me a sad smile. “I truly am. But I can’t. I can’t do this to my parents.” I closed my eyes as she leaned forward and placed a soft, chaste kiss on my cheek. Releasing my face, she turned and left.

After several minutes had passed, I finally realized what had just happened; yet I couldn't believe it. Slowly, feeling like my world was falling apart around me; I made my way out to the elevated lawn. Not caring that the rain was coming down harder now, I lowered myself onto one of the benches and held my head in my hands.

Leaning down to rest my elbows on my knees, I cried silently. The memories we had together danced behind my closed eyes. I choked on a lump in my throat and tried to take a deep breath. Letting it out, I stood and wiped at my face.

I made my way over to the small set of stairs to lead back onto the bricked pathway and shoved my hands into my pockets. I picked up my pace and ducked my head against the rain while the only thought that remained on my mind was that maybe we were never meant to be.