Status: Coming!

Almost Said It

Four

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I reached over the bed, eyes still closed, searching through the covers for my phone. I finally grabbed it and opened my eyes to see who it was. Gina's picture flashed on the screen.

"Hey" I groaned.

I heard her laugh on the other end, "Feeling the wine this morning gorgeous?"

"Ugh, yes. I'm also in desperate need of a shower." I sat up and ran a hand through my hair, resting my head on the backboard.

"Well did you want to grab breakfast? Some coffee and greasy breakfast food should help"

I liked the sound of that, my stomach now begging for food, "That sounds perfect. Meet you down in the lobby in an hour?"

"Works for me, see you soon"

I hung up wanting to fall back into my bed and sleep some more, but I knew a shower, fresh air and food would do me some good. I pulled myself out of bed and dragged myself to the shower, making it quick. I felt a bit refreshed after changing into some comfortable jeans and a v-neck. I didn't bother blow drying my hair and took out my contacts, considering they had been in too long. I grabbed my pair of thick rimmed black glasses and put them on, immediately making me look like a teacher again. I stepped out into the living room and noticed the tv was still on, low volume and then I spotted James still on the couch.

"James!" I tapped his cheek and his eyes snapped open and he sat up to face me, "I fell asleep here"

"Yes you did. Why didn't you just go home?" I sighed, wrapping my scarf around my neck and pulling on my coat.

"I don't know" he shrugged, "Guess I didn't feel like it" he shut the tv off and met me by the door, "Where are you headed?" He asked, "You look awful"

I groaned, "Thanks for noticing. I'm meeting Gina for breakfast"

"Ah, well have fun"

"I might. You should go home. Or stay here. I don't really care" I shut the for behind me and walked to the elevator, my bag over my shoulder. I heard a door shut as I hit the down button and then a hand grab the strap of my purse, "Mind if I walk you down?" James asked.

I sighed, "Whatever"

We stepped into the elevator and my phone vibrated in my pocket. I saw a text from Matt and immediately checked it.

I hope you're not too hungover this morning! I'm visiting some friends today but I was hoping you might want to join me later downtown. No alcohol involved :)

I laughed and replied quickly.

That sounds pretty good. Maybe a drive? Or a late coffee? We can decide. Can you pick me up around 8?

I noticed James peering over at my phone and I closed the conversation, so he couldn't see, "You've resorted to spying on me now? This is getting ridiculous Jay"

"Was it Matt?" He asked innocently.

I shrugged, "What if it was? What are you going to do? Tell him to leave me alone? Jay, he's a grown man and you have no say in who I date"

"Oh so you're dating now?"

"Ugh, Jay, that's not what I said! I just want the freedom to spend time with someone that's not you and that's not Gina. That should not be much to ask. You don't see me trying to keep you away from Shayna do you?"

He shook his head, "No. But he's a hockey player, and I know what he's like and I know what he wants"

"And Shayna's a fake blonde who shops too much, but you still don't see me trying anything against her. I've made peace with you guys. You need to understand that I have a life too, and right now it involves Matt too"

"I just don't want you hurt Sammy"

"No? Well you did that when you ended it, so you're a little late"

The door opened and I saw Gina standing near the apartment doors, "Hey!" I waved.

I felt James grab my arm and I twisted around to face him, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Figure it out for yourself James. I need to go" I wriggled my arm out of his grip and met Gina with a hug.

"What was that about?" She asked.

I shook my head, "I don't want to talk about it, let's just go eat okay?"