Status: Complete

A Day to a Lifetime

A Day to a Lifetime

We sat there on the bed staring into each other’s eyes, both of us refusing to look away. I slowly leaned in and kissed his lips. He kissed me back and we held it for a few moments before breaking off. I kept my forehead pressed to his and my eyes closed. I felt his hand grab mine and hold it. Then he pulled me into him and we lay down on the bed. His arms wound around me and held me tight. I felt his warm breath on my forehead as he kissed me there. It was a one of these magic moments that I never wanted to end. I looked up into his eyes again and we held the gaze. Before long we fell asleep.

The first thing I dreamt of was how we met.

It was a fall afternoon with the flaming leaves falling from the branches above. I sat on the park bench in my black jeans and north face. I had a white scarf wrapped around my neck. I just sat on that bench trying to relax and escape from life even if it was only for a few moments. At one moment I looked around and realized there was a stranger sitting at the other end of the bench. When he had gotten there I didn’t know but he was there now. He looked about 20ish, a little older than me. He glanced up at me and I quickly averted my eyes. He looked away also.

Shortly after I decided that it was time to go so I got up and walked past the stranger, heading home. I felt a hand from behind grab mine. I turned sharply and whipped my hand away. The stranger looked at me innocently and then a light smile appeared on his face.

“I enjoyed your company,” he said.

“But…” I glanced towards the spot where I had previously sat. “But we didn’t even say anything. I wasn’t really keeping good company.”

He chuckled a little. “No, it was perfect.” He stood up. “I would love to continue it. May I walk you home?”

The second thing was a few months later.

We had been together for two months. We hung out constantly, sometimes just at each other’s houses or sometimes out at lunch or dinner. I had come to realize that I enjoyed his company as well, even when no words were exchanged. This night we were at his home alone. His brother was with friends and his parents were out at dinner. We were lying on his bed in silence, just enjoying each other’s presence. We had been watching TV but quickly lost interest. Now we were just lying there, his arms around me and his hand stroking my hair.

All of a sudden I felt his lips on me. I kissed him back and we continued to kiss and soon he was on top of me looking down into my eyes. His hand caressed my face.

“I want you,” he said quietly. “But only when you’re ready.”

I grabbed his face in my hands and pulled him to me to plant a tender kiss on his lips. “I’m ready now,” I whispered. We looked into each other’s eyes and just knew.

We removed each other’s clothes and he grabbed a condom from the dresser.

The third thing was a major fight we had.

It was 6 months into our relationship. During a date we went on something had gone wrong and we ended up arguing. But not just arguing, full on yelling at each other. We had never fought like this before.

Back in the car we screamed in each other’s face as he drove. I felt tears springing to my eyes. As he drove past the park where we first met I yelled “Stop the car!” We quickly screeched to a halt. I unbuckled my seatbelt, flung the car door open, and sprinted away. I didn’t know where I was going and frankly I didn’t care. I didn’t care if he even just decided to go home and leave me to fend for myself. I was so angry I didn’t care about anything.

After sprinting for a few minutes I finally slowed to a stop. I turned around. The street was no longer in view. And from the looks of it he hadn’t bothered to follow me either. In a huff I continued walking farther into the park. Trees were all around me. I realized that tears had been streaming down my face the entire time. My make-up was probably running but that was the last thing on my mind. My blood was still boiling in anger.

When I reached our bench, the one we met at, I saw that he had beaten me to it. I stopped dead in my tracks. He had a look of anger on his face, no doubt for me sprinting off like that. He stood up and marched over to me. I stood my ground, waiting for him to blow up in my face. But instead he caught me off my guard and wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close.

“Don’t ever run away from me again,” he whispered into my hair. I lost it and tears flooded from my eyes. “I love you,” he concluded.

I leaned back to look into his eyes. It was the first time either had said that. “I love you too,” I cried. We kissed deeply.

The final thing was a scene of the future.

This was a few years into the future. Both of us were out of college with a job and we were living in an apartment together. Still paying off some debts, we were barely getting by. Some nights tensions ran high between us because of the stress we constantly felt. But we just kept plugging, both of us refusing to give up.

One night I called him saying that I was going to be home late. And because I was so stressed I started arguing with him over the phone and even hung up on him. As I reached the apartment after work, I expected to walk in and have him be asleep.

When I opened the door I saw him sitting at the kitchen table. The lights were off but there were candles on the table that lit up his face. I could smell the hot dinner that was also laid out. He stood up and greeted me at the door with a kiss on the lips. He took my things and put them away as he ordered me to sit. Once we were both sitting we ate the food. It was delicious and a very nice surprise. But it didn’t end there. Once the meal was over he took my hand and turned the music on and we danced to a slow song. When the song ended we embraced and kissed.

Then I woke up.

I opened my eyes as he did. I smiled as he whispered “Hello, beautiful.” He kissed my forehead gently. I thought of the dreams I had. The day we met, our first time, our first “I love you”, and the future. That was what I wanted our future to be like. Me and him working together to get by but always being in love no matter what.