Status: Okay, there is some graphic violence, self-harm, character death, language, and maybe some heavy make out scenes

Less Than Human

Chapter One

He wasn't always this way, you know.

He wasn't always this ...... monster.

Well, he supposed, that wasn't particularly true. He WAS a monster. Just . . . not in the same sense. Before though. Before the drugs and the tattoos and the cuts. . . His father hated "that damn black nail polish" the most, though. That summer, Lucifer was put out of the house, his father fed up with the constant fines for tattoos he didn't get and cigarettes he didn't buy. He moved in with his best friend Anio Calbrese, whom he met in preschool. Anio was a fellow drug addict and shared his Lucifer's love of tattoos.

They both got into Tulane University in their hometown of New Orleans, where his Dad worked as a car salesman. He avoided everyone, except Anio, including teachers. He didn't really remember how he was doing in class, but he'd never been much of a scholar. Looking back, though, Lucifer wished he had been. Because, with every exam failed, every cigarette lit, every tattoo inked in, Lucifer's sins piled up until it was too late. Too late to redeem himself.

#######################

Both Lucifer and Anio "majored" in New-Age Philosophy at Tulane, which was ironic, considering their attitudes. They chose the course because the "professor", Codie (a 26 year old, who couldn't care less if they turned in assignments or not), was needless to say, an easy A. They sat in their usual spot at the very back of the lecture hall, ignoring Codie's half-hearted attempts to get them to move closer. It was the last class of the day and Lucifer was itching for a smoke. He whipped out his cell phone and checked the time. 4:07. 'Only 53 minutes to go.' he thought bitterly. Lucifer turned to Anio to find him sleeping, a crumpled anime tented on his face.

"Great." Lucifer muttered, leaning back in his seat and folding his arms behind his head. Codie had long since stopped trying to get them closer, instead beginning an agonizingly lengthy speech about "Finding One's Self". There was a low din of chatter from the other students, who blatantly ignored their lecturer. Lucifer yawned, his eyes starting to droop. Codie droned on, lulling him into slumber.

Suddenly, though, he felt a burning in his lungs. He tried coughing it off, expecting in to fade away as it usually did when he needed a smoke. But, instead of leaving, the burning sensation strengthened. His breathing became heavy and labored, each breath pouring molten lava down his throat. He gave a weak scream, and only then did Lucifer notice the utter quiet. The entire hall had gone completely silent, his scream bouncing off the walls. He looked to Codie, and saw his mouth still moving, but producing no sound. Lucifer tried popping his ears, but the silence still suffocated him, nothing audible except his own voice.

The burning was getting worse, tears pricking at his eyes.

"Codie!" Lucifer yelled, trying to get his lecturer's attention. The man didn't even flinch, his name echoing around the room. Lucifer pawed at his throat, feeling as though the lava was rising up now. He turned to Anio, tears of anguish now running down his face.

"Anio!" Lucifer shouted, shaking him by the shoulder. "Anio, wake up!! Anio, C'mon!" He stirred and grunted, shaking Lucifer's arm from his shoulder. Lucifer screamed again, his torso now full to the brim with the burning. He fell from his chair to his knees, unable to sit up any longer.

"Anio. . ." He said meekly, groaning as the lava spread up his arm as he tried again to wake his friend. Though this time, Anio caught his hand and held it so tight, it started to pop and snap.

Then, Anio laughed. A dark, cynical, ominous laugh. He removed the book from his face, to reveal sharp teeth and dark slits for eyes, both dark enough to challenge his claws. Lucifer cowered back in fear, screaming as the burning consumed his entire body. He lay on the ground, convulsing, using his eyes to plead with the horrific creature.

Then...Anio spoke.

"Oh, look at you, Lucifer.... Just pitiful!" His voice was akin to nails on a chalkboard, yet gravelly. 'It's sounds like he's been gargling rocks.' Lucifer mused, the simple thought amusing him despite the grave situation.

Anio's swift kick to the stomach pushed away any form of amusement. Lucifer groaned in agony, the kick seeming to heighten the temperature of the burning.

"Oh, what's wrong, Luci?" Anio mocked using his mother's nickname for him. "Is my new face not what you expected?" Lucifer grunted. "Oh, I see how it is, pretty boy?"

Anio bent down to Lucifer's level and traced a razor sharp claw along his jaw, drawing blood. He sighed, as if frustrated.

"Normally, I just kill my victims, but my master saw potential in you. I can't see why, though. All you did was smoke and whine about how no one understood you." Anio rambled absentmindedly, as if it were any other day. Lucifer felt scared and confused and somehow, betrayed. He best friend of 10 years had just sprouted claws and told him that he wanted Lucifer dead. He needed answers.

"What....you?" Lucifer managed to moan. Anio gave him a truly demonic smirk.

"What am I? Maybe I should tell you what I'm not. I am not human, I not technically alive, and I am definitely not your friend."

'Not Human?' Lucifer thought as another shock of fear and heat wracked his body. He screamed as the burning spread through his veins. Lucifer gritted his teeth.

"What-What's happening?" Anio hissed and did what Lucifer thought was rolling his eyes.

"Ugh, if you must know ..... you're dying." Lucifer's eyes widened in horror. "Don't look so surprised. With all of your sins, I'm surprised that your Eclipse is so late. But, now you only have..." Anio glanced up at the clock. "60 seconds."

'60 seconds!' Lucifer thought as Anio began to count maliciously. 60 seconds and his life was over. His poor existence was that easily diminished? The burning sensation strengthened, branding itself into his soul. Lucifer screamed again, and only then did Codie hear.

"10, 9, 8, 7..."

"Lucifer, what's wrong!?" Codie made his way toward Lucifer and the seemingly invisible Anio. Lucifer now screamed perpetually, alarming the other students who begun to gather around them. Anio laughed and leaned toward him.

"3, 2..."Anio extended his claws even further and stabbed Lucifer, who cried out in pain. "Go to Hell."

Anio and Lucifer dissolved into puffs of black smoke, leaving the room smelling of death and despair.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, sorry that took so long, but there was alot I had to do. Hoped you guys liked it though and I would love to hear what you thought.

#NetherLove

Credits:
Tulane University, New Orleans