Status: In progress, Waiting for feedback

A Will to Survive

Filthy Swamp Bitch (revamped)

“How many walkers have you killed?”
Daryl watched her closely as she answered Rick’s questions. He had been tracking her for nearly an hour to see if she met up with anyone. His crossbow was still loaded, Ricks back was facing him but he had no doubt that he could shoot her over Ricks shoulder in an instant should he need to. He’d never admit it but she was a good shot. He himself had been hunting when he heard her walking. He watched her go through the woods alert despite her clearly being in rough shape. Once he saw her take out the crow He knew she may really be dangerous. Anyone who is a good shot like that has had plenty of practice. He shifted his weight and waited for Rick to give the word. Tyreese passed between two trees watching for walkers in the distance.
“I don’t know “She answered in a weak whisper.
“Can you estimate? Was it 10? 20?” Rick prompted her for more information. Rick looked at with genuine interest and a degree of patience. She shook her head eyes down at the ground as she thought about the number, memories flashing through her mind as she recalled each and every time she had been overrun by walkers. Sometimes taking out as many as 30 in the span of a couple hours. She was mildly annoyed at his underestimation of her but chalked it off as sexism in the south.
“Must be a couple hundred by now” She said with a cold empty voice. Each man seemed to be caught off guard by her answer. Tyreese let out a slow whistle and Daryl’s eyebrows rose. Hundreds? Her? No way had she done all that on her own she must have been with a group at some point. Then the image of the crow went though his mind again with the arrow in its neck. She hadn't even looked for more than a split second before she released her arrow, All things considered maybe she really was capable of something like that. Rick turned to look for Daryl’s reaction. Rick was unsure what to make of that, should he consider her dangerous or an asset? Daryl just shrugged and nodded. Rick went on with the interrogation.
“How many people have you killed?”
Lacy's gut lurched. She didn’t want to think about that. Daryl didn't choose to pay attention. He wasn't particularly interested in this pathetic girl nor did he really want to bring her back so they could struggle to keep her alive. She had his attention though weather he wanted to give it or not. He watched the sunlight between the tree branches dancing across her face and waited with much less patience than Rick for her answer. He told himself that the only reason he hadn't killed her was because the group sorely needed another hunter but somewhere in his mind he knew that wasn't true. Daryl had always been rough around the edges, cold even but he had never been a murderer. No, he killed in self defense.
“Do you mean personally or those I’m responsible for?” Lacy asked for clarification. The weight of what Lacy said resonated among them all. They all understood exactly what she meant. Those they couldn’t protect friends lost along the way.
“Personally.” Rick answered softly his heart crawling into his throat with his words.
“3 I think.” Rick nodded looking at the forest floor now and then around at the trees before adding his last question.
“Why?” Everyone was silent for a moment and Lacy's eyes watered slightly as she struggled tried to get her words out.
“One was an accident. The others… they tried to…” Lacy took a deep breath and set her jaw meeting Daryl’s eyes before she answered then Ricks.
“They tried to rape me.” Again the silence of the woods over powered the conversation as her words sank in for all three men. Lacy wasn’t sure what answered they had been looking for or if she had passed their test but she hoped more than anything that there were only 3 questions.
Another stick snapped and now every set of eyes quickly scanned the surroundings. It was the wild looking outsider who saw it first; a walker was slowly ambling towards them from behind where she had been standing. Daryl quickly lifted his crossbow and in the same instant that he fired Lacy aimed and shot the walker straight through the eye. The walker hit the ground two arrows in its head. It never stood a chance. Daryl stalked over to the corpse irritated and grumbling keeping an eye out for any others before pulling his arrow out of its head.
“I had it taken care of” He stated rather flatly. She glared at him saying nothing but eyeing her own arrow. Daryl snorted and left hers where it was kicking he corpse before heading back.
“I aint no retriever neither” He loomed over her as he passed clearly displaying his distaste. Rick ignored Daryl he was used to his guarded nature and no-nonsense attitude. He knew it would only take time to soften him up. He always treated new people this way, hell he treated the group this way half the time. Rick was one of the few that Daryl had let in. Rick new Daryl would give his life to save him and that being said Rick would do the same for Daryl. That’s what kept this group alive, Everyone had each other’s back in the face of death.
“We’d better move on before any others find out we’re here” Rick said in a way that made it plain Lacy wasn't to argue it. Lacy was relieved she had passed the questioning part of the day for now. Knowing full well how badly these men wanted to leave the woods and head back before dark. She knew better than anyone how dangerous the woods got at night. She had no idea how far they needed to travel but she knew night wasn't that far off an hour maybe two tops. Quickly as she could manage she retrieved her arrow placing it back in her quiver and gathered up her pack. Putting it back on her shoulders she remembered how heavy it was. How heavy she was all together. Her arms were straining to buckle it around her waist to help her carry the weight evenly on her hips. Every step made her heavier. Her eye lids each weighing pounds. She licked her dry lips. She could feel eyes boring into her back as she turned around and took her spot in line with the men who appeared to have been talking. Ricks hand thrust a water bottle in front of her and she took it greedily, drinking the entire bottle in three large gulps. Daryl shook his head and turned away. She looked at the empty bottle guiltily looking back to Rick she only now realized she probably drank all this man’s water. The sweet sensation of water on her dry throat had made her forget her manners or maybe it was all the time she had spent alone.
“Sorry.” She said feebly handing the water bottle back to Rick. He looked amused as he shook his head.
“Don’t be I got more besides we don't need you kickin' it before we get back” She didn't dare ask for more though her mouth watered at the idea.
“Come on this way we’ll lead you back to camp” He motioned for her to come with him to the front of the group. They passed Daryl who lingered behind picking up a rabbit he had just shot and adding it to the ones he carried at his waist. The tall burly man named Tyreese stood near her and a small amount of safety washed over Lacy. Tyreese could probably just squish zombies with his bare hands for Christ’s sake. She watched Rick as he walked beside her. He had an air about him that just screamed authority. He had dark brown shortish hair with a manly scruffy beard and as thin as he was he still looked very strong. All three of these men were strong. She remembered her old group and how even the head of that group was just a fishermen. There was no wonder why these men had survived this long. The 4 of them walked on in silence for a long while. They only sounds around them were the whisper in the leaves and the faint sounds of trickling water. The creek she had been looking for must be up ahead. Maybe this camp is in the cabin she was waiting for too. She wondered if she had been left to wander would she have stumbled onto this camp they were leading her too? Or would she have just passed it never realizing they were so close by. She took a deep breath getting more and more winded as she tried to keep pace with these men.
“Whats’ a’matter Red? Can’t keep up?” Daryl taunted as he passed her and took the lead of the group. She wasn't about to honor that with a reply. Clearly this ass hole just wanted to start trouble let off some steam or whatever. That didn't mean she had to cooperate. When the remark was only met with silence he grunted
“That’s what I thought”. She saw the way he slung his crossbow over his shoulder and carried himself with a steadiness and sureness that she hadn't seen in a while. She hadn't seen anyone who wasn't a stumbling zombie in a while. She saw light coming through the trees up ahead and understood they must be approaching a clearing. The sound of water was much louder now. The light hit her eyes and forced her to put a hand up. She hadn't left the dense forest yet but her eyes couldn't adjust. She blinked furiously and tried to get her vision back. She couldn't see the others and wasn't sure if they had stopped and were waiting or if she was being left behind. A sudden panic hit her as she realized just how much she wanted to go with them. She didn't know till then just how high her hopes had gotten. She tried to stifle them knowing that letting them get the best of her would only leave her hurt. Daryl’s watchful eyes missed nothing. He saw as she tried to adjust to the light outside of the woods. It was even more obvious how true her story was now. He exchanged a look with Rick who seemed to believe it now too. She looked like she had been sleeping in trees. There were bits of leaves and sticks in her hair and her body was caked in dirt. He looked her over for limping or injuries but it seemed the thing that had been holding her back on the walk was just weakness. She looked like she may fall over at any minute and all Daryl knew was he wasn't about to carry her in to the prison. So he waited as patiently as he could with the others for her to adjust and catch her breath. A minute or two passed and he saw as she regained a feeling for her surroundings. A tense hand had been ready on her bow that whole time though he wasn't sure she noticed none of them had missed it. Tyreese was closest to her and he had prepared himself to take her down should she make any sudden movements. She moved forward with a meek smile towards Rick with her hands at her sides once again. They relaxed slightly as they proceeded to make the last couple yards until the prison was in view. She looked Stunned as she took in the fortified building and saw the waves from the guard towers. A smirk passed each of the men’s lips as a feeling of pride and accomplishment went through them. This was their safe haven and as bad as life gets in this day and age, these were the moments when they really appreciated what they had. There was a young boy waiting to let them in the gates and there were walkers mulling about outside the fences so they walked quickly and quietly towards the entrance. Daryl took down a few walkers along the way though Lacy thought it might just have been for sport.
Lacy couldn't control the shaking of her hands any longer her whole body was vibrating as her hollow stomach turned itself over and over. There was nothing to digest but her own stomach lining; pain was shooting through her making it feel as though she had been drinking bleach. The last thing she had eaten was a small chipmunk yesterday morning and it had done nothing to sustain her. Now is not the time she pleaded with her body as her heart raced and tried to beat its way out of her chest. She fell to her knees as they approached the gate clutching her self tightly. An arrow whizzed over her and she heard a thunk behind her. With a quick glance she realized one of Daryl arrows had just saved her life. Before she could regain her footing she felt hands under her arms and she was thrown over a strong shoulder. Daryl couldn't believe he was actually about to carry this chick into the prison. Part of him was angry but part of him had wanted nothing more than to save her. The angry part of him was only intensified by that realization. She closed her eyes relieved that he hadn't just left her. She was quickly losing the ability to stay conscious and gave in as the blackness around her vision finally took over. Daryl jogged with the now unconscious Lacy over his shoulder. If he had stayed at the front of the group she might have died. When he saw her lagging and had doubled back he certainly hadn’t expected this. He didn’t doubt the others would have tried to save her but both the other men had been farther ahead and there just wouldn’t have been anything they could have done. He shifted her sharp ribs away from his sore shoulder muscles as he passed through the gate. He didn't stop to update the guards like Rick and Tyreese did, He continued on to find Hershel and get this chick off of his shoulder. Her ribs were still sharp and jabbing against his shoulder blade and her body even with her back pack was much lighter than Daryl had anticipated. Just as he rounded the last corner to the cell block he saw Hershel.
“Aeh! Got a live one over here” Daryl half yelled. Daryl’s heart was racing no matter how much he tried not to care, he did. He cared about people these days since so few of them were left and slowly he was growing to accept it. Hershel’s wise eyes quickly accessed the situation while he unlocked the cell block doors.
“Bring her around this way” He gestured to a cell. Daryl set her down on the cot discarding her pack to the side to better lay her down. He was about to turn and leave but instead found himself moving her hair out of her face and standing at the end of her cot catching his breath. That was when Hershel started asking him questions
“How long has she been out?”
“I dunno, couple a minutes” Daryl replied shortly.
“Has she been bit? Is she injured?” Hershel continued on.
“Nah I think she’s just hungry and tired” Daryl was growing impatient with this conversation. He knew Hershel had a good reason for asking these questions but he didn't want to be the one answering them. He had already let his mind drift from Hershel’s questions, he had put himself in harm’s way for her and he hadn't even known her name. He was growing more and more uncomfortable with the situation as he stood there.
“Rick is on his way he’ll know what’s up” Daryl added finally to show that he was going to leave this conversation now. Hershel nodded before going over to the girl and checking her vital signs. Daryl’s eyes lingered on her for another instant before he turned and stormed out of the cell. He knew he needed to leave the cell block now because once everyone got wind of the new comer they would all be looking for answers. He’d much rather let Rick handle that situation. He quickly grabbed a pot and exited the cell block making for the fields outside. He had 8 or 9 rabbits and squirrels bouncing off his leg where they hung, he could be preparing them to pass the time. With his sweaty back leaned up against the cool shady brick wall looking over the fields he let out a sigh. Life was so fast passed these days it was almost too much to keep up with. He set down the pot and pulled out a pack of cigarettes from the right chest pocket of his sleeveless button up shirt, lighting one quickly and inhaling deeply. With his lungs filled with smoke he felt his head clear slightly and he exhaled through his nose. The one none essential thing he always kept when he found it scouting was cigarettes. Only a small piece of his old life but a piece he didn't mind remembering.
He sat down against the wall and began skinning the first squirrel. His quick nimble fingers moved with precision separating what could be eaten from what couldn't. The meat was placed in the pot for boiling the excess tossed on the ground. It looked like they were going to be having stew that night and probably in the morning too. With so many mouths to feed the squirrels and rabbits weren't going to cut it anymore. Daryl knew he needed to start finding bigger animals or maybe just more animals but it’s tough hunting when the people you bring with you stomp around and scare everything away. He would normally hunt alone but Rick had decided no one was to leave alone anymore for safety reasons, except for Michonne who apparently didn't have to follow the rules. Daryl brooded to himself moving onto the next squirrel. He heard a noise to his left and quickly shot up off the ground his cigarette still hanging in his mouth. Glenn approached him cautiously
“Ricks holding a meeting to talk about Lacy” Glenn said with his eyes on Daryl’s catch.
“The fuck is Lacy” Daryl grumbled finishing the squirrel he had just abandoned a moment before.
“The girl you saved” Glenn said with his arms crossed
“I Didn't save nothin’ just huntin’s all“ Daryl protested taking another drag.
“I don’t care who saved her there’s a meeting inside in 10.” Glenn turned and left without another word. He’d gotten to be much less timid since the winter. Daryl approved but hadn't said anything about it. Daryl passed a hand over his face and gathered his belongings before heading in. If Glenn knew her name she must be awake, Daryl thought. He hadn't expected her to wake through the night let alone be alert so quickly or rather immediately. He wondered if he should have stayed with her, a face she would recognize when she woke up in a strange place. Putting out his cigarette he meandered on back to the cell block taking his time hoping to miss at least some of the meeting. When he entered the block he saw dozens of eyes on him as Rick said.
“Good you’re here, now we can start” Daryl grumbled under his breath as tossed the belt of rabbits and squirrels on to a table next to the pot, He perched on the railing at the base of the stairs towards the back of the group who had gathered for Ricks meeting. Quickly questions started shooting from all directions.
“Who is she?” Maggie asked sternly with not even a sliver of trust in her eyes.
“We aren't sure yet” Rick answered bluntly. He then added.
“All she said before passin’ out again was that her name was Lacy”
“How can we trust her?” Maggie shot back again. This time Tyreese answered.
“You guys didn't trust me at first either. I had to earn it. So let her earn it. She’s alone what kind of threat could she be”
“Ya saw her shoot that bow didn't ya?” Daryl scuffed before continuing as all eyes fell on him.
“Seems pretty dangerous ta me”
“So we take away her weapons for the time bein’” Rick replied not letting Daryl’s doubts get under his skin.
“How did she end up alone like that?” Carols voice rang though the cell block with the most sympathy they had heard yet. Rick shook his head looking sorrowful as he said
“I don’t know exactly what happened to her but she’s been through hell. The least we can do is let her gain her strength before sendin’ her on her way”
“You can’t make her leave" Beth said from the upper level of the cell block
“You might as well kill her yourself; did you see how weak she was? Daddy says she wouldn't have made it another three days out there”. Beth rocked baby Judith lightly while she spoke. Rick pinched the bridge of his nose and said
“I finished asking her the questions I gotta ask her. She passed the big 3, from this point on it’s up to all of us to decide what happens next. Maybe it’s best if we wait for her to wake up before we deiced.” Daryl hopped down from the railing sauntering forward a few steps and said
“You’d best lock that cell overnight then, I don’t trust that filthy swamp bitch as far as I can throw her” Daryl didn’t know why he was being so cold. He was the one thinking moments ago about her comfort in a new place. He couldn’t control the words coming out of his mouth; it seemed the old defensive Daryl still shone through sometimes. Ricks patients was wearing thin as he shot his head up and said
“Good, you’ll take first watch”
♠ ♠ ♠
i know that no one has read the first chapter yet but i posted the second thinking maybe it would entice people to read. if your reading this story please leave comments or message me. id love to hear what you think good or bad.

** currently updated though subject to change upon my editors inspection