Astro-Zombies

One

The After Party by Bad Books


On the first night in Newark, the sirens wailed mercilessly. The rain pounded on the dirty glass windows and the neighbors across the hall would not stop opening and closing the door. The faucet dripped and it dripped. The drain pipe rattled every time an oversized truck would drive down the narrow two-lane road. Every time that truck did drive past, her disheveled hair and sleep deprived eyes would peak through the blinds praying it wasn't some toothless man with a handgun in his front seat to tow her car away. She'd already heard too many stories about him and dreaded her encounter he would bestow upon her.

Newark was not the prettiest place in the entire world. Perhaps, maybe the least appealing city next to say Oakland or Detroit, but those cities had an appeal about them, a certain charm...apart from the crime rate, of course. But Newark, Newark was different. It smelled funny, it looked shitty and even the people were just flat out strange. New Jersey was not Pennsylvania and Newark was not the quiet suburbs of Philadelphia. Dirty Jersey. She just had to keep reminding herself this was her new home and this was how it's going to be.

A sigh of relief slipped past Shae's lips as she dropped back down onto her bed; The coast being clear but her neighbors still being loud. She groaned rolling onto her side, slamming the pillow over her head. The noise not even slightly muffled. The clock on the floor shined 2:24AM. Her eyes scanned over the empty bedroom, the mattress that lay under the window sill was thin and at she scooted towards the edge, the cold hardwood floor becoming more prominent.

She let out a light chuckle. "Pathetic." she mumbled under her breathe. She didn't even have a light in here, just a mattress and a few boxes.

Shae pulled herself up, seating herself on the edge of the bed. The white wife beater stuck to her skin, the thin layer of sweat glistening in the light that peaked through the blinds. The black shorts she had on carelessly thrown to the otherside of the empty room. Shae was just stressing herself out now, fueling the anxieties she tried to bury. She hung her head between her legs, silently praying to herself and the apartment gods the noise would suddenly disappear. They must of heard her, a final door slam and the her apartment became quiet. An eerie silence draped itself over and Shae was suddenly wishing for the noise again.

The bright spring sun peaked through the small slits in the blinds as Shae rolled over onto her back no longer on the mattress but in the middle of her empty bedroom. The silver watch on her wrist displayed forty-five minutes passed the time Shae should of been up. Her alarm clock grinning sweetly at her as it matched her watch.

Shae hopped through her front door, one shoe on, the other in her hand. Her key shoved into the lock turning it to the left locking the door to her shit hole home. Her bag swung fearlessly on her shoulder as Shae tried to balance herself long enough to slide her other shoe on; her hair already starting to fall from her bun as she ran down the hall and steps.
Clasping her hands together in a prayer fashion, she thanked the apartment gods and the parking gods for her small black car still being there with no signs of damage or a ticket. She sprinted through the small clearing of the stairs, not even making time to check both sides of the street before crossing to her car.

~*~*~*~

Dragging her legs up the steps towards her floor, Shae continued to reassure herself why she moved here, why she left home and why she had no intentions of going back. They were not going to win this one. She peeled her black flats off her sore feet, her bagging dragging behind her. Shae yawned, her shoes dangling from two fingers as she shoved her key through the top lock.

"You're not a stripper, right?" A voice asked from behind her. Shae rolled her eyes, the flats falling to her feet as she turned around. The door was wide open exposing the inside of the living room. A black leather couch and a coffee table was enough for Shae to overflow with envy. Her eyes finally fell onto the man who questioned her. His hazel eyes shining innocently, like a child.

"The last woman who lived there was an 'exotic dancer'. Had three kids, always ran through the breeze ways." He shrugs, giving her a toothy grin. Shae's eyes narrowed as she turned around, pushing herself onto the door as it swung open exposing her naked home.
"Ah. Squatter, I see." he sang excitedly behind her. Shae kicked the door shut, not caring about the loud noise it would make or the impression it might give
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm going to start posting songs to listen to at the top of the chapters. These are the songs I listen to while writing the chapter, so I figured I'd share my obscure indie taste with you all. They will no longer be some weird band you've never heard of, I'll educate you all #truehipster #skewltime

just kidding.

Thank you.

ps. Kevin Devine is super fine.