Status: New. Posting regularly.

Silent

Five

“Like this?” I asked, positioning my hand in what I thought was the right place. He chuckle sweetly and placed his long, slender fingers over mine, pressing down so the hammers inside would hit the correct string, sending the notes swirling into the air, dancing together to make the chord.

“You’re doing great, you don’t have to ask before you play anything. If you get it wrong the piano won’t break.” He said and I smiled, shaking my head. “But I want to make sure I’m going it right.”

“You’re doing great, angel.” He says and kisses my temple.

He hasn’t kissed me yet. On the lips, anyway. He kisses everywhere on my face but my lips. I’m still too fragile for that in his mind.

One my fingers get tired we break from the little piano lesson and move back to his bed in the big garage that he calls home. I sit on the bed and watch him clean off another counter top.

He does that every time I’m over. Cleans things that aren’t dirty. It was cute. “John?” I asked and he turned to me smiling. “I love it when you say that.” He laughs. “Actually I love it when you say anything.”

I blush and cross my legs on the bed, my feet covered with the big socks he gave to to keep my toes warm. Though it was a nice garage it did get a little drafty in the winter.

“Have you talked to your grandparents yet?” He asks and I sigh, shaking my head no. I still didn’t know what to say to them, even when John convinced me why I should talk on our first date.

“I hadn’t had anything important to say.” I said. Loud and clear, no roughness in my voice from going unused. It sounded just as I remembered.

John is shocked, understandably. It’s the first time he’s ever heard my voice. “Ha-hadn’t had anything important to say?” He questions. “Aellea. I want to hear everything you have to say.” He chuckles and blushes a little. I think he’s a little shier with girls who can speak.

“I can’t imagine you didn’t have one important thought in a year.” He says.

“Thoughts? Sure, I’ve had some important ones, but they were really only important to me. At first I didn’t know what to say, I still don’t really.” I say, my voice getting quieter with every word.

“Aellea. Everything you say can have meaning. You’ve been through so much and deserve to express that.” John says, looking deep into my eyes and I shake my head.

“I don’t want to express that. I prefer to keep it bottled up, and i know the second I open my mouth its all everyone is going to want me to speak about. But I don’t.” I huff and John smiles. Why did he smile.

“Well then, my lips are sealed. As long as I get to hear that voice.” He chuckles and I smile, shooting him a thumbs up as our food gets set down.

John had taken to calling me ‘angel.’ I’m almost sure it went with the whole innocent Aellea thing, but I tried to not let it bother me. We cuddled on his bed until we heard his friends start to get a little more rowdy somewhere else in the house. “Want me to drop you off at home?” he asked and I nodded, I think he wanted to join them in the drinking and smoking, of course I was too innocent for such horrid actions and he wouldn’t want me to participate or view, not his little angel.

I don’t think I quite over my binge drinking and pot smoking phase, I just took a break, but I know that Nana would flip if I came home drunk or high. So who was I to keep John from doing that.

As we pass though the living room one of the drunk of John’s friends call out. “Join us!” John shakes his head and puts his hands on my shoulders. “Nah, Aellea here is going home.” John smiles and I nod.

“She can say that for herself… or can she?”

“Hey, shut the fuck up, man. Let’s go, Aellea.” He barks and nearly shoves me out of the house.

“Sorry about them.” He says and I shrug. “Not talking again?” He says and I march to the truck, getting in. Waiting for him.

“Hey sweetie.” My Nana said as I marched into the house. “How’s John?”

Like a disgruntled teenager I march up to my room and slam the door. Pop was gone overnight for fishing. Just as well. He hated anything that had to do with boys. I wasn’t this innocent little thing. I was my own person. Who granted has been though a lot but it made me stronger over time not weaker.

Nana slowly came in and sat on the bed with me. I didn’t move from my face-first in the pillow position, so she pet my hair. It felt nice.

“Boys are awful. But what did he do?” Nana asked. Didn’t she know by now she wasn’t going to get an answer.

“Sweetie.” She sighed and kissed my hair. “With boys you had to fight back. You have to speak up for yourself and maybe if you spoke to him-”

I jumped up from bed. I couldn’t deal with more of her pleading to talk. I’d talk to her in time. In time! Didn’t she get that. I shoot her a look that could kill before marching downstairs, grabbing the keys to the car that was once my brothers and leaving.

I needed to go have a few words with John.